NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Caris

Someone answer this question please.

Now that we know the Wii will be using Progressive scan in Pal regions, will cube games be displayed with PS as well? also will the Wii make cube games look any better if you buy the best display cable for the Wii?

Thanks in advance.

Firstly I think that the progressive scan only applies to new titles.

Secondly the Wii comes packaged with component cables.

Well I know there is a Mod-chip for Gamecube which forces all Gamecube games into progessive scan, even if the game doesn't support it. So I think it might be possible?!?

If a GameCube game doesn't have the option to output progressive, the Wii won't make that option available. Remember, the Wii basically has a GameCube inside too - it won't act any differently than GameCube did when GameCube software is inside.

As for the component cables - yes, if you're using them with Wii and run GCN software, it will be like running a GCN with component cables, so the output will be cleaner and sharper. Progressive is absolutely possible, but only if the software has the option (in other words, NTSC games). I'm not sure component cables will be bundled with the machine though, it'll most likely be composite cables. Hope it helps! :)

the Wii basically has a GameCube inside too

I read that the Wii emulates the Gamecube through software, or is that what you meant?

I read that the Wii emulates the Gamecube through software, or is that what you meant?

Lol yeah I didn't really mean there was an actual GameCube inside or anything - just that all the components that made the GCN function will be inside Wii too.

Component's the one to go for then! I'll be joining you on that one. Couldn't possibly play Twilight Princess on Christmas morning in anything but progressive!

Actually it is possible, mod chips can force PAL games and PAL GCs to run in 480p, the option is there.

Wii will not emulate the cube via software. All the cube hardware is in place to have hardware compatibility.

Wii will not emulate the cube via software. All the cube hardware is in place to have hardware compatibility.

Exacta-mondo!

Strange that, since what I read [about Gamecube being emulated through software] was a Miyamoto quote. He has been mis-quoted a lot over the years though. :hmm:

The Wii is tiny, so the idea of Gamecube and Wii hardware being in there together is somewhat hard to swallow, even when taking miniaturisation into consideration. Since Gamecube and Wii architecture is very similar in design - Wii game development having been started using Gamecube dev kits - it seems more likely that the Wii's hardware has been designed to run Gamecube software, rather than there being separate hardware in there to handle backwards compatability. Alike new PC hardware is designed to run older software.

Strange that, since what I read [about Gamecube being emulated through software] was a Miyamoto quote. He has been mis-quoted a lot over the years though. :hmm:

The Wii is tiny, so the idea of Gamecube and Wii hardware being in there together is somewhat hard to swallow, even when taking miniaturisation into consideration. Since Gamecube and Wii architecture is very similar in design - Wii game development having been started using Gamecube dev kits - it seems more likely that the Wii's hardware has been designed to run Gamecube software, rather than there being separate hardware in there to handle backwards compatability. Alike new PC hardware is designed to run older software.

Fact:

As time goes on hardware becomes smaller and faster (see Pentium 1 die vs Pentium 2/3/4/core 2 die).

The wii is an enhanced gamecube. Same chip architecture just faster and with more functions (retains all older functions). This allows for a perfect hardware compatability since all software calls on the hardware can be answered without software that would be needed to interperate the calls. Example: A software call on the xbox to display 1 polygon in an arbitary position would not be recognized on a gamecube/ps2/etc... since the hardware is different the code would have to be re-writen. Now the wii is simply an expanded gamecube design (think pentium 2 ---> pentium 3 type transition) the same code runs without need for software emulation and there is also a greater hardware capacity.

Thus no extra hardware is needed since the base hardware of the wii is compatable with gamecube code ;)

no extra hardware is needed since the base hardware of the wii is compatable with gamecube code ;)

Erm, okay. :) That's basically the same thing I said though. ;)

Erm, okay. :) That's basically the same thing I said though. ;)

Eh... not quite. Software emulation requires more power than hardware compatability. It's actually a really big difference :p

the wii doesn't emulate gamecube games, it just runs em of the hardware since the Wii is a gamecube plus

Will you be able to use Gamecube memory cards and controllers?

No. The GameCube memory card/controller ports are there for display only.

No. The GameCube memory card/controller ports are there for display only.

Sarcasm: The lowest form of wit!!!

(But also the funniest!!)

Eh... not quite. Software emulation requires more power than hardware compatability. It's actually a really big difference :p

You obviously didn't read my post properly before quoting it. Do these not sound the same to you...

it seems more likely that the Wii's hardware has been designed to run Gamecube software, rather than there being separate hardware in there to handle backwards compatability.

no extra hardware is needed since the base hardware of the wii is compatable with gamecube code ;)

...? ;)

Actually its both emulation and compatability. The Wii hardware isnt GC hardware and therefore the Wii needs a GC 'emulator' to allocate the Wii's resources correctly to the GC games. This is only possible because the architecture is the similar, the more different the architecture the emulation layer of software has to do and the more laggy the game gets.

Think of it like running a Windows 98 game on XP (closest example i can think of).

Sign in to follow this