N-Europe

Iwata Talks Channels

flameboy

Don't see this being posted anywhere else, came up on ign yday, if it has lock it!

Nintendo has already spilled most of the miso on Wii, but Satoru Iwata isn't done grilling his senior staff yet! As part of a continuing series of Q&A sessions in which the Nintendo president asks the aging Japanese men who made Wii just what they were thinking, Nintendo has posted a segment dealing with the new unveiled channel interface.

For this session, Iwata interviewed an all new batch of aging Japanese men. First up is Takashi Aoyama, group manager of Nintendo's general development division. While his division handles overall hardware, his specific group oversees operating system (OS) development. Next, we come to Tomoaki Kuroume, who oversees all areas of interface development, games and beyond. Iwata described Kuroume's role as, if someone wants to make a menu, they talk to him. Finally, we come to Shinichiro Tamaki, who directed the Wii's menu and was in charge of the Wii Connect 24 plan. Iwata referred to him as "The person who's had most experience the Wii concept, both inside and outside of the company."

Iwata first questioned Aoyama, stating "The 'Channel,' which is at the center of the Wii, is an idea that has not been seen in hardware until now." Internal to the Wii is something called the Initial Program Loader, or IPL. Aoyama was in charge of that part of the Wii. To explain the IPL, Aoyama suggested that users picture what happens when you power up the DS. A game doesn't start up. Instead, the system menu appears and players can select a DS game, a Game Boy Advance game, or Pictochat. The IPL is the equivalent of a PC's operating system; it's what's used to start up software and change system and clock settings.

The Wii's IPL is far expanded over that of the DS, said Aoyama. Because the functionality that goes into the IPL cannot be split cleanly between hardware and software levels of development, staff members from various divisions throughout Nintendo held lots of meetings in large groups of 25 or so in order to finalize the functionality.

"I also tried my best to attend," said Iwata.

These meetings began in October of last year, recalled Aoyama, as development on Nintendo's Wi-Fi Connection service was nearing completion. Nintendo made it an official company-wide project to look into the functionality that would go into the Wii, and Aoyama was put in charge of the activity.

He recalls development of Wii Connect. "When the concept of making a machine that doesn't sleep was finalized, we had discussions starting at the base level on such things as the problem of network infrastructure and servers, and, of course, specifics on the services, what you'd do with a machine that doesn't sleep."

Iwata asked Aoyama to detail the specific mission that was assigned of him at the start of the project. "We've already thought of many things," said Aoyama, "so, uhh, I can't say we're done."

The other two shied from specifying the exact nature of their mission as well, with Kuroume saying "I've completely forgotten."

Changing subjects, Iwata asked Kuroume to compare the Wii's channel interface with other hardware. "When we started, we were unable to determine what the final shape would take," he explained. "With the DS, we were unable to include everything we wanted, and I have memories of the difficulties in gracefully cutting things off and moving on. With the Wii, we had to first finalize the things whose final shape we were unsure of."

Tamaki was apparently the most passionate about the Wii initially. As his first memories of the Wii project, Kuroume recalls Tamaki giving out various ideas and sharing his thoughts on what the hardware should be like. "Looking back," said Tamaki, "when I gave my greeting upon entering the company, I said, 'I want to make a game that I can play with my grandmother.'" He recalls noting that his gaming habits had changed, so that he would play alone in his room at night, having separated himself from the world. "I wanted to aim for something that would not keep you lonely when playing."

Iwata next asked about the types of functionality that were considered at the meetings. Kuroume recalled discussions on character input, with the team debating putting a full keyboard on the screen, a cell phone pad on the screen, or having a system similar to that of Animal Crossing. Tamaki recalled discussions on startup speed, as his team asked the engineers if they could make things load faster.

"As we continued these discussions," said Aoyama," we slowly came to a clear image for the concept. That was, of course, 'something that will be used as a family.' With that in mind, we had to make something that wouldn't make an enemy of anyone in the family, and make sure that there wouldn't be someone in the family who feels they don't understand, or that it has nothing to do with them."

Iwata's Q&A sessions seem like they'll keep on continuing for the time being. We'll be back with more once Nintendo updates.

source ign

i predict they could partner up with either Gamespot, GTTV or another Games journalist type company and offer a paid subscribtion for a year. Maybe even talk to sky for people who want a years subscribtion to maybe Sky one, 2 and 3 for £25 a year. That stuff would hype the wii bigstyle only thing is you would need broadband.

I wonder what type of channels we might be able to download in the future.

i guess we'll see:

Sports channel - a channel with sport results

Art channel - every day a few new lessons in art and history

Humor channel - every minute or so a new joke

WiiAmp channel - a channel like iTunes (for downloading) and QuickTime (for listening to music)

some quick irc massenger channel

and many updates for current channels and OS

Maybe even talk to sky for people who want a years subscribtion to maybe Sky one, 2 and 3 for £25 a year. That stuff would hype the wii bigstyle only thing is you would need broadband.

I would so pay for that if that actually happened, shame it it very very likely it wont.

So like...i think i read theres 3 pages of Wii channels...what happens when you run out of space?

There are 4 pages, each with 12 boxes on each. I presume as time goes by you'll get the option of adding new pages.

it seems each VC game gets its own channel. Thats no good. I think they need a slightly more sophisitcate system. But maybe for the noob gamer its whats required

I think there will probably just be one Channel for the VC and then you can select the games in there...

Get in a channel for:

*Wii/DS Connectivity

*Wii Demos/Trailers/Themes,etc

Maybe the first thing might happen, but I highly doubt that.

And it was a head of one of the company divisions said something about that it would be difficult to put wii demos up as only 512MB of flash memory, but they said about the official magazines being allowed access to create a demo disc for the Wii.

With the themes idea I believe Reggie did say 'they' should concentrate on giving user an everlasting experience not for something which doesn't add to a gameplay experience.

The only things I would like to see is what I previsouly mentioned and the ability to download DS demos to your Wii and have them create a download emo station inside the Wii for it.

i guess we'll see:

Sports channel - a channel with sport results

Art channel - every day a few new lessons in art and history

Humor channel - every minute or so a new joke

WiiAmp channel - a channel like iTunes (for downloading) and QuickTime (for listening to music)

some quick irc massenger channel

and many updates for current channels and OS

I quite like those.

I just thought as soon as i read Art Channel. I can just see now... Bob Ross channel.

Bob Ross will give you hints and tips each day. Then you can load the game and practise these tips and hints. maybe even he'll post up oneof his works and tell yo how he did it!

:D

i'm just wondering what happens when there is an update for tp sent over the wii connect 24 for zelda tp and i have smash bros brawl in the wii and my sister has her memmory card inserted and i don't does the server just wait until i put my memory card in and the download.

How about a RSS Feed channel so we can choose our own news stories and just about absolutely everything else we want on the internet? That would be so much better than a news channel.

It should just be a like Google IG (google.com/ig) so you can choose which RSS feeds you want and where you want to see them on the page.