NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Gaijin von Snikbah

What game has the best storytelling?

What game do you think tells the story in a better way than others?

Why game makes you feel more connected to the gameworld and its characters? When game tells the story in a easy way? Who game doesnt feel silly or weird? Where game is the least predictable?

And why do you think it is so?

Report must be finished by 4pm! Or else!

ill throw out a few here

Metroid Prime and Echoes-tells a huge story with no NPC's whatsoever.

Secret of Mana and Chrono Trigger-no explanation needed

God of War- not necessarily the method of storytelling (cutscenes, been there done that) but the way the story unfolded and the foreshadowing used at the beginning

Killer 7 always comes to mind when someone mentions story. The methods of finding out in Metroid Prime. Shenmue obviously, because you really lived the story. For some reason Halo struck a chord with me as well. Oh and the Fire Emblems, because the character's stories have always been brilliant.

Hmm I'd say MGS (twin snakes and the PC one). The game itself feels more like an interactive action movie than a game. And Baldur's gate as well. Never got to finishing that game though... But I'm getting back to it in a month or so.

The worst way to tell a story goes to Half life (2). But I'm feeling that some of you might think otherwise...

I've always admired Jade Empire's story, the pacing and the sheer epic-ness and detail of the story is executed in such a great way, and the twist is pretty good, too.

Also, Shadow of Memories, although that might be breaking the not silly or weird rule. And it's crap.

I loved how Front Mission 3 let you play the game in two different directions. It was great seeing what would happen if you decided to go and do something else.

Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue. Shenmue.

Majora's Mask, getting to know the villagers whilst knowing that an impending doom is leering over them.

Ok, my choice may be a little generic, but I genuinely found FFVII to have one hell of a story. When I first played it I had never played an RPG before, the whole idea of each and every character having a distictive personality and back story was revolutionary to me. I know now that it had been done before in the likes of Chrono Trigger and FFVI, but FFVII was the first time I had experienced that connection with fictional characters in a game. As for being least predictable, well nothing could have prepared me for the plot twist thrown in at the end of disc 1 (if you don't know what I'm talking about you must be new to gaming and the internet, welcome).

Honourable mentions go to:

Majoras Mask. Easily one of the greatest gameworlds of all time- the characterisation of clock town really gives you a sense of connection and purpose, while the incredible art direction provides a sense of dread that I've never come across before or since. Incredible.

Half Life 2. The perfect example of 'show, don't tell'. While the game does little to explain anything through dialogue, the art direction speaks volumes of a destroyed civilisation, a tyranical regime and a poisoned, ruined world. utterly magnificent.

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time. In my oppinion, the best straight forward story game of the last generation. It's just brilliantly done. concise, well acted, wonderfully romantic and perfectly joined with the excellently realised atmosphere of the ruined palace. Good twist too.

Seccond Sight. Brilliantly done, also. Generally a cool story on its own but it plays up to videogame conventions excellently to deliver a rather slick twist at the end. very good.

hmm, those are the ones I can think of for now...

Chrono Trigger by infinately far, it makes you feel at ease, as if you've known the characters all your life, they become family...

The final fantasy series also have involving mythical storylines that are great to follow, VII and IX specifically.

Metroid Prime told the story real well.

Prince of Persia: TSOD trilogy, was told bloody fantastically, even though there was one glitch later on in WW where when you turned back time, you would go back, but the platforms would remain collapsed, so you'd fall to your death immediately, it was quite hard.

I've never been convinced by the storytelling in JRPGs myself. They're too over the top and self indulgent. that and they hardly leave room for any decent kind of game once they're done. A good game story should combine traditional telling through dialogue etc and the fact that it's a primarily visual medium, so things like art direction, character animation and so on should be used to tell a story of their own.

Hm... At the moment I'd say Higurashi no naku koro ni even though it's in Japanese and I only *just* understand it.. :heh:

I would say the Half Life franchise. It's the only game I've come across with the sort of quality, rich storytelling that would be commissioned outside the video game industry.

I like the one in Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, wasn't expecting that much involvement. I like the way Metroid Prime series tells the story and leaves players speculating.

MGS tries too hard too be a movie, and that kind of sucks, especially in the 2nd when the whole thing became a self important load of bollocks.

I do, however, very much approve of the third. Quasi bond intro sequences are sorely lacking in the games industry.

MGS tries too hard too be a movie, and that kind of sucks, especially in the 2nd when the whole thing became a self important load of bollocks.

sniper.jpg

Sign in to follow this