NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Domo Kun

The Musical Instrument Thread

If you are referring to the inferior Fender brand, then no

If you are referring to the Stone Roses Guiatrist, then still no.

i didnt say i like it. :s i hate it grr but i have a very nice acoutic blood red WestField so ye

If it's a normal electric without a floyd rose bridge then it's simple, there is a hole in the bridge right, where the string came through. Now take a look at the spare string you bought, theres is a ball connected to one end right? Well this is the part that's still stuck inside your bridge, so get something long and thin, like a piece of wire, or even the part of the string thats broken off, and push it down the hole, and the rest of the string should come out of the opening at the back of your guitar. You then thread the new string through the hole, the side without the ball first, and thread it over the nut and through the tuning keys. Then tighten it until it's kinda in tune. After this, give your string a good tug, pretty damn hard to stretch it (don't worry, it won't break) and tighten it until its in tune.

I've got to memorise this. I actually have no idea how to replace a string as whenever a string breaks, my brother does it, as it is actually his guitar. He'll never let me do it because, according to him, I am retarded, which is bollocks. :mad:

You just need one of those winder things you can buy from any old music shop. Only make sure you leave enough slack to wind onto the doodah, otherwise the string'll snap.

I have a epiphone sg (dark red) aswell as a fender squier strat (light red) and a crappy acustic.

I'm going to go town soon and buy some music books. I think if i want to improve, then this will be a step in the right direction. I'm going to look into getting a teacher when i go back to Brighton.

Can anyone recommend me some bass or drum books, in the beginner-intermediate range?

what if I don't have a winder? will that make it much more difficult doing it by hand?

No, It won't be more difficult or anything, it'll just put a lot of strain on your wrist and is likely to give you tendonitis thats all.

Also: I am over the moon, my new Dv8-r arrived today and it plays like a dream! I'll take photos later!

No, It won't be more difficult or anything, it'll just put a lot of strain on your wrist and is likely to give you tendonitis thats all.

Also: I am over the moon, my new Dv8-r arrived today and it plays like a dream! I'll take photos later!

Does it become a lot harder to turn then? and how many times (roughly) must it be turned?

Lookin' forward to seeing those pics

Does it become a lot harder to turn then? and how many times (roughly) must it be turned?

That depends on how long or short you've cut the string, you should cut it about 6 inches past its tuning key so you have enough length. It would take abou 10-15 turns I suppose, depends. Also, you should buy a digital tuner so that you know exactly what to tune it to, but anyway, don't worry, even if you overtighten it, your strings will be able to take it. I always buy either Ernie Ball or Rotosound though, so I don't have any experience outside that.

Also: I'll post pics tomoz! :santa:

That depends on how long or short you've cut the string, you should cut it about 6 inches past its tuning key so you have enough length. It would take abou 10-15 turns I suppose

so you cut the string off before you start turning the key? (Sorry for all the questions, i've never had to change a string before and my only 2 attempts have failed miserably :o )

so you cut the string off before you start turning the key? (Sorry for all the questions, i've never had to change a string before and my only 2 attempts have failed miserably :o )

Personal preference really, I dont. I cut the string after fitting it and getting it tuned.

is this an exclusive guitar thread or can i bring in my syth shit here?

The thread's called The Musical Instrument Thread so it's not exclusively for guitars. Show us your synth!

don't have it yet but im getting this one very soonfc6c25e3b0bbf2c0b332e988d2ec730c.jpg

Yamaha MO6 Music Production Synthesizer

I'm no expert on synths this is the one i'm looking at.its much cheaper on ebay and other places but does anyone know any other good model for this price range?

My previous guitars are :-

Yamaha Pacifica (my first but couldn't get the sound I wanted from it)

Epiphone SG (my favourite and wish I had never sold it)

Maverick X1 (excellent build and sound but just couldn't get on with it)

Currently playing an ESP MH200 which I love (although I still preferred my SG , weird).

I no longer have an amp , stroppy neighbours put paid to that , so instead I now run the guitar through a Pandora PX4 then into a Presonus Inspire to enable me to record onto the mac.

I forgot to add that I have an Alesis guitar pedal along with an Overdrive/Distortion voice switch pedal.

Pedal:

alesisdz0.jpg

I also have a Hohner acoustic and a Peavey bass guitar, which I rarely use:

Acoustic:

hohnerqb1.png

Bass:

peaveyvy1.jpg

^ That isn't my actual bass, but I can't get a picture of what my bass looks like, but that is still the same bass as mine.

Im having great difficulty with this. I am still unable to replace the E string. Everytime I try to replace the string and begin to wind it around the peg, it breaks. Im sure it isnt the brand of string as I have tried several expensive and well known brands. What am I doing wrong?

I try to wind the string around the peg 2 or 3 times and it feels tight, but when I put the end of the string through the hole, all tension is lost and the string I wrapped around the peg comes off and becomes all bent and eventually snaps after several attempts.

Please help!

:weep:

You put the end of the string through the hole first, then wind it.

Example:

chstr_fig7.jpg

Then wind. I start with the string fairly slack and then it winds around the stub thing a few times.

My guitar is an electric, does that make any difference?

if not, once the string goes through the hole first, do I need to wrap it around using my hands a few times and then use a winder or do I just go straight to the winder?

I'm currrently teaching myself to play the acoustic guitar because if a bum can do it it means he has better qualifications than me. plus i wanna write songs about oral hygine and sexy cars for adverts.

Sign in to follow this