NEurope
DiemetriX

Mario 2 was never really mario at all

Diematrix, did you just listen to our latest podcast? We had a small convo about this in it, just wondering if that's where you got it.

Mario 2 was not really a Mario game at all, but a slightly modified version of a game released in Japan named Doki Doki Panic? Altered to suit overseas tastes, Doki Doki Panic has a more Persian feel to it, and features four characters to choose from, that's why Mario 2 has four characters as well. The landscape, power-ups, characters and monsters of Mario 2 were slightly tweaked to make it more Mario-like, but the game pretty much bears its Doki Doki origins.

ddp_smb2_char.gif

http://themushroomkingdom.net/smb2_ddp.shtml

Even the Shy guys was originaly from doki doki panic and not Mario :o

That was news for me. I'm sure some off you wanted to know this :)

yeha i knew about it. cant remember when i learned of this.. it was ages ago!!! also explains all the 'sand' based levels

Mario bros 2 never did feel quite the same as the first or number 3, I remember finding this out a couple of years after the game came out.

What was up with the ending though:

marioii10me1.gifIt was all a dream?!

DiemetriX, did you just listen to our latest podcast? We had a small convo about this in it, just wondering if that's where you got it.

hehe. I listened to the podcast after making this thread. I read it on Wii updates. Maybe they took it from yout podcast :)

I was also aware of the origins of the game.

I wouldn't say it was a crap game by any means , but it certainly didn't feel right and I always struggled to get into it in a big way.

Helmsly, about the ending... maybe this is a spoiler for others?

Isnt the land you play though in the game called Subcon? I cant remember any other hints about it being a dream but there probably are some in there!

And for the record: Id heard about the Doki Doki thing a while ago.

maybe the dream-thing was a tacked-on way of trying to explain why it wasn't the mushroom kingdom...?

i loved this game (don't hit me!). remember spending my summer playing it as a teenager when i used to stay at my sister's in crianlarich in scotland... wow that was many moons ago! i really got into it (and solstice!), tho it was probably the first mario game i played properly.

loved the music too, it rocked :D had it for the gba too, dunno where it went! might go buy it again, would look excellent on the ds lite screen :D

yes i prefer the original mario now, but never played 3(!) (don't hit me again!!)

I thought it was common knowledge that it wasn't actually a Mario game, surprised so many people here didn't know.

This is not news, rather it must be 'olds' since this is ancient.

The real Mario 2 is 'The Lost Levels'.

I did know this, but I can't remember for how long.

It's very strange to realize.. How much a game, that's not originally a Mario game, left its mark in the franchise. Picking stuff up, Shyguys, pokeys, bobombs.. Quite a legacy. I didn't like SMB 2 as much as other Mario platforms, but I still like it (the atmosphere is just so different, more.. Well "dreamy"). I'd like to play the original though.

But this must have been devastating to all the Doko Doki Panic fans at that time. Their game's legacy has been hi-jacked, what will they do when they want to make a sequel :D?

But this must have been devastating to all the Doko Doki Panic fans at that time. Their game's legacy has been hi-jacked, what will they do when they want to make a sequel :D?

.......panic..? :horse: