NEurope
That Guy

Zelda: Wind Waker/OOT?

Cheers for all the responses guys. Didn't think I'd find someone who agreed! I agree with the whole update thing. If they did a Resi Evil style update of this game, I'd snap it up I think.

no game, no matter how good, pleases everyone

and remove me from your sig

I'm only joking King Boo, hence the pigeons in my threat. :P I respect that you're entitled to your own opinion. And Saria's Song is brilliant! Doo doo doo! Doo doo doo! Doo doo doo de doo, doo de doo doo doo!

Dark and gritty is the best combination for a zelda game, even majoras mask was to some extent dark the problem with wind waker was it was too fairy tale bright and cheery for my tastes even though it was a good game it did actually feel like a childs cartoon while playing it with all the wacky characters, stupid pirates silly situations ect.

With all the remakes going around OoT is definitely something i would purchase

You're human. You like what you like. Sometimes things don't click, sometimes things only dazzle at a moment in time. It doesn't make you any less of a fan.

So don't worry.

I play OoT every year and I always like it. Sure a free roaming camera is missed, but it's still my fave game ever.

at the time ocarina was the best thing ever. it was the first 3d zelda! (now watch someone say that im wrong...)

but since then, nintendo have made majoras mask and WW, which both have an incredible amount of charm about them!

having played other zelda games, OoT isnt that good.

oh im a horrible person!

I play OoT every year and I always like it. Sure a free roaming camera is missed, but it's still my fave game ever.

Same here. I personally think that is DOES stand the test of time. Sure graphics will always improve so thats not an issue but gameplay wise in my eyes it cant be faltered.

The music, dungeons, bosses and gameplay is all very memorable. It has many moments that stand out for me, from finally being able to ride Epona to giving Ganon the final blow the game is and always will be in a league of its own.

I do however agree with the statements that in had to be played in the N64 era to be full appreciated. Thing is now it is classed as possibly the greatest game ever made and those going into it for the first time have to play it with all the hype surrouding it. When it first came out I hadnt read anything about it as I didnt want to spoil it for myself so I got to experience it without anyone elses opinion. Im not really explaining myself very well here but I hope you get what I mean.

As for Wind Waker it had its flaws such as the cheapness of having to refight bosses, the lack of dungeons and the hunt for the Triforce which I actually enjoyed. To get the most out of Wind Waker I think you really have to do alot of the sidequests like the heart piece hunting and figurine collecting.

Like I said before though WW may be magical in its own sense but OOT will always be my favourite Zelda and game. It will be interesting to see if TP can topple it, only time will tell.

End of Rant

The Guy I am 100% with you.

Winder Waker was my first home-zelda game. The gamecube was my first Nintendo home console. I absolutely loved Wind Waker and still do. Everything about it is so amazing! lol!

I got the collector addition and word of mouth about how great OoT is got me interested so I started to play OoT on the gamecube and man I don't like it. Its like FFVII for me, I simply can not get into the game at all.

I am not a graphics whore but I can easily play and complete FFVIII & FFIX within a week (like 10 hours a day) but with FFVII I simply do not like it, nor that hype for that matter. Just like OoT, *shrugs* maybe one day I'll manage to get into it...maybe. :P

well i seem to be on my own here, but i actually hated OOT - hence i dont really like zelda

I call for BAN!

I think you have to be experience Ocarina of Time first in order to fully appreciate it. Preferably, playing it on the N64. Now, games have arrived with better mechanics, and it's really testing whether this game can or will stand the test of time.

QFT. That's what i was going to say. OOT despite still being considered by many (including me) the best game of all time, is dated. It's a 1998 game, it's been 8 years and someone that has played WW before, wich has an improved engine, fighting mechanincs, grafics, sounds, etc, will find OOT not that good in 2006 as people may sound it. In 1998 it was revolutionary, there was nothing that could be compared to it, but in 2006 it's just a legendary game that's below nowadays standards, albeit still very good.

Just like Super Mario 64. Mario Galaxy will probably be a better game than SM64, but SM64 is the one that scarr3d (can you see what i did there?) us for life.

Example: I'm aware that the 1st Zelda for NES was a groundbreaking excelent game in 1986, and i just can't enjoy it. It's too dated.

Although i can still play and enjoy OOT even after playing WW, i think it's normal someone that has played WW before to find OOT a little boring.

I played Ocarina of Time right when it came out in December (or late November) 1998 and I am still amazed at its graphics today. But I can understand someone who sees it for the first time now to think they're crap, but to me the graphics are still ace. Hyrule Field and Lake Hylia are gorgeous.

People who complain about the controls I think it must be because of them playing it on the GC. I have never played it on the GC but I imagine it must not feel very right... Especially the joystick. The N64 joystick is completely different to the GC one. I actually think the N64 joystick is superior (though it wears out more, that's probably why they changed it.

fact is..wind waker owns..

like the very first post (yes i have enough time to read them all :D) something was missing, and like everyone ages ago agreed its that there have been many advances etc blah blah

IM STUCK! when i get stuck, i get mad, when i get mad i turn green, when im green i throw stuff out of window....say goodbye Oot o.O no im joking :P, i haven't played it ever since i got stuck in one of the temples!!! i needed one more little key, but i can't find where to get it from, as it doesn't say it from the maps :/ CURSE YOU ZELDA!!!! greatest games ever..fact

I played Ocarina of Time after Wind Waker and that didn't effect my love for it.

Me too, I preordered Wind Waker, my first Zelda game, after getting a GameCube, my first games magazine, NGC, and reading all their hype and reviews for it. I wasn't disappointed, in fact one of the best purchases I ever made.

I love MM, WW and OOT each in their own unique way, it's very hard to compare.

True, the 3 of them are very different and all are lovely gorgeous.

never played MM :o *cowers* i just love wind waker..with the little piggies :D

But i miss the deadly cucos.:grin:

Yeah, I agree, it's difficult to compare them all. "Majora's Mask" is my favourite just because it has the most inventive game mechanic, "Ocarina Of Time" is amazing because of it's scope and really engaging plot. "Wind Waker" is almost a mix of the two, but the stand out thing is obviously the graphical detail and the excellent animation. They do all have things in common; excellent music, great control and an engaging narrative but that's pretty much a requirement for every Zelda game.

I don't see how Wind Waker is "light and fluffy" it might appear it on the surface and the pirates are obviously very comical characters but since when has child abduction been happy-happy subject matter?

HAHA funny comment..

I like tryin to run from the piggies, and every so often i will go do the end fight against gannondorf. Although i hate that you can't skip the speech!!! great end fight.

I don't see why people compare all three 3D Zelda games, each one is slightly better than the one before it in my opinion.

Ocarina of Time introduced us to the Happy Mask shop and the mask trading which allowed us to wear masks to look like other tribes and it introduced us to Epona and songs that could transport us to Temple entrances as well as control day and night and conjour up storms if required. Ocarina of Time also gave us practice in stealth in and around Hyrule Castle and Gerudo Valley and gave us mini-games and side quests to distract us from the main story

Majoras Mask improved upon this by allowing us to collect many masks, some of which had unique powers like controlling animals with song and others giving us the ability to transform into Zoras or Gorons. Epona was available much earlier in the game than in Ocarina and one song allowed us to travel to Town, Region or Temple entrances. Majoras Mask improved the stealth by using a vast area like Gerudo Fortress as a great place to sneak around as well as hiding from thieves. Majoras Mask also gave us even more mini-games and side quests than Ocarina did and it improved these as well by either making them harder or spreading them out over three days to make them more interesting.

Wind Waker improved this further, even with one mask in the game, we could see the enemy health and see how much it had left. Transport was available earlier still with the introduction of the King of Red Lions, and more songs that allowed us to control the Wind were introduced. The sneaking around factor was brought back in the Forsaken Fortress and was also used on Windfall. Wind Waker also had it's fair dose of mini-games and side quests, which would make the game last longer and distract you from the main quest e.g. the Triforce quest

So in my opinion, each of the three 3D Zelda games is slightly better in some ways than the one before it. Ocarina of Time set the foundations, Majoras Mask and Wind Waker built up on the foundations

I forgot all about that mask, but I thought wind waker was great. The cell shaded style allowed link to show emotion in a more dramatic and visual way than before. I just love the facial expressions.