N-Europe

Question to everyone living in europe

SpinesN

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ford Prefect

do they not have schools where you come from then? or did something so simple just escape the attention of your entire nation........

do they not have schools where you come from then? or did something so simple just escape the attention of your entire nation........

Do you think they learn Western European Geography and languages on the other side of the world?

Did you learn about Australian geography, study Cantonese or memorise Eastern Russian names of countries? Probably not. Not every country's schools teach the same things.

Fact is that the majority of people who hate America have never been there and don't really have a right to judge. Which is probably the same for most all snap judgements and uninformed viewpoints.

Edit: When I said America I meant the United States of. Not the rest of those two conintents.

Do you think they learn Western European Geography and languages on the other side of the world?

Yes, I think. They do learn geography, and there are alot more countries than U.S's 50 states, also they already speak english so they need a 2nd language to learn.

Guest Ford Prefect

Did you learn about Australian geography, study Cantonese or memorise Eastern Russian names of countries? Probably not. Not every country's schools teach the same things.

its fairly well known stuff wherever you go, i've met unschooled africans and iraqis who knew that kind of thing. plus you'd expect them to learn at least something about it, going on the number of important world events that have occured in europe, like 2 fucking world wars....

ask for cantonese, i believe "peedio" or something like that = beer and i've got the numbers 1 to 10 written down somewhere. my father is currently in an area of southern china where they speak cantonese. just along the river from him they still speak portugese apparently.....

The thing is though ask the general public or a chav about it and they might not know. And if they don't should we go you godamn idiot slap slap or go ah ok heres what your missing out on something hope you learnt something cool today. This guy came here in the spirit of learning something and admitted he didn't know somehting so lets cut him some slack.

I actually have some mp3's that have the letters and numbers in chinese. And some basic sentences. But I have no idea what they are saying as I don't have any translations of them.

And I have nothing against americans. I just have something against people that won't learn a second language because they think that they can use english pretty much everywhere (And this doesn't go just for americans, I think that there are brits who think this way also). And they get pissed off in europe because someone doesn't understand them.

Oh and for some reason we did learn the states of north america on geography lessons. And I think that we learned some of Australias history too . But now I only remember that the brits went over there and took over the land.

just along the river from him they still speak portugese apparently.....

Macau?

The thing is though ask the general public or a chav about it and they might not know. And if they don't should we go you godamn idiot slap slap or go ah ok heres what your missing out on something hope you learnt something cool today. This guy came here in the spirit of learning something and admitted he didn't know somehting so lets cut him some slack.

Yes, gotta give him that, it's just weird he never tough of that before, I mean, hasn't he noticed that not all people from other countries say USA?

Guest Ford Prefect
Macau?

that would be it if i recall right, couldn't remember when i made the earlier post, on night shifts at the moment so i'm a little tired.

Guest Ford Prefect
Don't. Ever. Correct. A. Portugese. With. Spanish. Ever.

It could be the last thing you'd ever say. Like correcting a Dutchman with German :woops:

or calling a greek man a "malaka"

I know that the name England came from the Angles tribes who settled here. They named the country Angle-land. Which transformed into England, the Angle is the reason why the French call it Angleterre.

Some names of countries in other places derive from what the country itself is called, for example;

Sverige is Sweden in English, or Suecia in Spanish.

Scotland in German is called Schottland, in Italian it is Scozia.

Russia is called Rossija in Russian.

Portugal is called Portogallo in Italian.

But there are countries that have meanings in their names are translated:

Crna Gora is what we call Montenegro, and both mean "Black Mountain".

Plus, bear in mind every language goes through changes. English went through a massive change about 700 years ago. After the change the language at the time is what is known as Olde English. It was like today's English only with extra letters or spelt differently. Of course English is changing today because people are removing letters and adding numbers.

I've gone on a bit.

Guest Ford Prefect

engles actually, they came from an area of europe which today lies within germany i believe. its why the norwegians here still call english men engelsmen.

norge = norway

frankrike = france

tyskland = germany

russland = russia

olde english was sorta "sung" more than spoken, that singy songy way welsh or some swedish is spoken now gives a hint at how it would have sounded. while being the same language, we wouldn't be able to make head nor tail of it if we heard it.

engles actually, they came from an area of europe which today lies within germany i believe. its why the norwegians here still call english men engelsmen.

I learnt it as Angles. Hence the term Anglo-Saxon. That's why you could call me Anglo-Scottish rather than Englo-Scottish.

Guest Ford Prefect
I learnt it as Angles. Hence the term Anglo-Saxon. That's why you could call me Anglo-Scottish rather than Englo-Scottish.

variation on the spelling thru time maybe? but it certainly isn't said "angles" when refering to the tribe themselves. never seen it spelt that way either myself.