NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Fierce_LiNk

Job Hunting Woes

I'm 14, gets £15 a week from my paper round, it does fine for me.

Cant just say you dont wanna be the paperboy, cause at this age, its all you can get.

I agree, my first job was a milk round. Pay was shite but it got me a reference on my CV and a efreshing bottle of milk every morning. I wish i still did it now, i used to be bright awake and motivated all day long after a milk round, now im just a knackered lazy slob...

Im now on £200 a week at currys and i still havnt turned 17....

I started my "summer" job 2 months ago. Cleaning in my School. £5.90 an hour, 10 hours a week.

(oh, and they got my hours wrong when they paid me - i got around 6.5 hours extra. YAY!)

Only problem: as they want fewer people working over the summer hols I'll be having 6 weeks unpaid holiday forced upon me.

Bummer.

I'm gonna try Somerfield (which "officially" opens on wednesday) soon, if that fails, then pontins.

I got my job through a temp agency in an office. Its not a bad job, 5.20 an hour. Downsides is the crappy holiday pay =P

I might try for Currys then :D

Has anyone heard of myprogressfile.com?

My school used it when i was there and i filled it out, and this thread has made me go back, and its actually good for nervous people i think. eg

Making Applications

When you apply for a job, training or further study you will have to undertake some form of selection process. The most common is to complete an application form and then have a face to face interview.

The application form is used to select suitable candidates to invite to the interview process, an employer might have 50 or more completed application forms for the one job. Employers use the application form to discard candidates who are not suitable.

1) Employers use the following methods to reject people

2) Wrong colour ink

3) Is the application form neat and tidy, no crossing out

4) Hand writing that is difficult to read

5) Spelling mistakes

6) Not all questions completed

Top tips

Read through the whole form first - yes it's tedious but it will help you to avoid duplicating information.

Follow all instructions given to the letter - failure to follow simple instructions doesn't send a positive message to a prospective employer. So if it says complete in black ink make sure that you do.

Draft your answers in rough- a high standard of presentation is key in your applications.

Complete all the sections- don't leave any gaps which will raise doubts in an employers mind. If a section isn't relevant write not applicable.

Explain any discrepancies (e.g. in your exam results)- there is often a space provided on the application form. Be positive about mistakes made and don't pass the buck!

Write legibly- you may have to fill in certain sections with handwriting - if an employer can't read your form you won't be selected. Bear in mind that application forms are often photocopied.

Spell correctly - careless errors could mean that you aren't selected. Pay particular attention to spelling the firm's name correctly, as this is a common mistake.

Get someone to read over your form- ask a friend or see a Personal Adviser in the Connexions Centre.

Express yourself clearly- don't try to impress by using jargon or writing in an overly formal way.

Always keep a photocopy of your form - to help prepare for the interview.

sorry if it doesnt look good I copied and pasted as it was.

I applied for a job at NEXT but havent heard anything....yet anyway :o

I've been to Sainsbury's and they've told me that they're waiting for application forms from head office.

This is really taking the piss now.

How many hours per week do u work?

Im part time so im meant to work 14 hours but they put me down for 16 hours anyway, cant complain really.

Oh and i also get commission :yay:

I think this year I'll do what I did last year; write a letter to ask for a job, and send it to about 10 or 20 stores. Then again, I tried that last year and I got one responce from Woolworths. I got an interview there and needless to say, it went tits up. Better luck this year.

I might try this job agency thingy-ma-bob, though.

£200 a week!!! Thats awesome...and you're younger then men:cry:

Over the weekend I'm gonna be going all over London and checking stores for jobs. I'm gonna have to print out loads of copies of my CV but it'll be free as I can print them out at school!!

In my area (Ealing) there are absolutely no jobs at all. I looked 2 weeks ago, then my mate went job hunting last week and there was still nothing available. Looks like I'll have to look more into Central London.

Go to a restaurant, Tell the manager that you want to be a dish washing boy. Apparently there are always vacancies. It'll be £5 an hour. You could do like 10 hours a day 6 days a week. That'll make you £300 a week. It's a crap job.

I have a friend who did this for about 3 months during his gap year. I just can't understand why, but he did and he says he got so much life experience out of that environment. He put on quite a bit of weight though because he was very well fed yet didn't spend a penny on food. Funny, but true.

ive been unemployed since april always got some application at home to fill out :) i ring some agencies most weeks as well.

income at mo is sh!te £44 a week on job seekers. with a car that is a joke to live on.

will prob goto da 'port tomorrow to get some application forms as things are getting desperate again now. got praque trip next week (i got enough money for the trip only just but gunna be broke for few weeks afterwards) plus theres the Wii coming out and i really want to buy one. also i want to buy a new guitar as i havent brought a new one in 2 years now. + i want to get some stuff changed to my car i.e new seats, exhaust..well thats it

Im part time so im meant to work 14 hours but they put me down for 16 hours anyway, cant complain really.

Oh and i also get commission :yay:

How the hell do you earn £200 for 16 hours work...

Try John Lewis, The benefits on offer is staggering, I'll be getting a 15% bonus in november. The hours are great, pay is awesome, great job prospects.

Indeed how the hell.That would be a staggering a £12.50 an hour... Surely not.

Indeed how the hell.That would be a staggering a £12.50 an hour... Surely not.

Currys in LEEDS

HMVs in west end pay up to £8 an hour or so,

Plus hes under 18.

He did mention he gets comission, maybe hes really good.

He did mention he gets comission, maybe hes really good.

I guess so, hmmm, there are a couple of currys about where i live. i may need to change my focus in that case.

Commission is what i make up most of my money from, im only on £5.05. That only would get me £80 a week, plus another £20 IF i do both days on a weekend (usually i dont) if i make around £3,000 commission a day thats £30 quid (make around £5000 on saturdays) so thats another £110 added to the £80 im on.

So yeah thats kindof just under £200.

Bear in mind i work on brown goods (laptops, computers, MP3, home cinema system, dvd players and recorders, plasma and LCD TV's.

Commissions only 1% but it really does add up. theyre talking about giving us an exra £1 an hour and getting rid of commission. Its not gonna happen lol.

EDIT: if you want me to scan a bit of my wage slip if you dont believe me, i will do. I also get a tiny bonus if i sell "whatever happens" product support, which is quite hard to sell..

EDIT: if you want me to scan a bit of my wage slip if you dont believe me, i will do. I also get a tiny bonus if i sell "whatever happens" product support, which is quite hard to sell..

No no, its cool, i didnt regard the commision part, but then again, this has given me an idea on who i can work for next.

My friend and I have joined forces to go job hunting. So far, we've both found absolutely nothing! He's applied to PC world, Beefeater, iceland, Tescos, and quite a lot of other places, and has heard nothing. Are there no opportunities for work in this town?!

I'm thinking about shifting my focus now. I've noticed that quite a few places need takeaway staff or delivery drivers. Might as well try there.

never work as a waitress in a cocktail bar......some one will always throw it back in your face

Sign in to follow this