NEurope
Demuwan

Call of Duty Wii

The Executive Producer of Call of Duty 3 spoke about the Wii version and the Wii itself in an exclusive interview with 1up.com. He had the following to say:

“I’ll tell you about the Wii, because the Wii is the one that’s the most developed right now. What we’re doing with Call of Duty is again, the whole idea of sucking you into that game world. One thing we haven’t talked about yet is battle actions. I’ll start off just by telling you a little about battle actions and then I’ll tell you why the Wii just fits that so perfectly. So again, one of the things we wanted to do was to bring you closer than ever to the fury of combat. And one of the ways that we’re doing this is through what we’re calling battle actions.â€

“Battle actions are simply enhanced interactions with your enemy and your environment. So, as an example, in the CoD games in the past, we had the melee, the melee attacks, very cool especially in multiplayer. You walk up to someone, you push that X button, that melee button, bam, you take ‘em out, down they go. That’s pretty cool. We’re keeping that. But now what we’re doing is we’re introducing this enhanced variation of things, and one example is enhanced melee. So now you’re actually going to be playing through that, you’re actually going to be struggling with your opponents at times, and that’s going to be pretty cool. So you walk into that room, and bam, your gun’s knocked out of your hand, it’s flying, then you’re out of your comfort zone. I’m in a first-person shooter and I don’t have my gun.â€

“Next thing is the guy comes down and he’s smacking you down. He’s going take you out. So now you see your hand come out, grab that weapon, and you’re going to fight for that weapon. Through a combination of button presses, you’re going to have to overpower him until you can take him out. And we’re doing this in a number of other scenarios as well, for instance, laying mines. Before you pressed the action button, laid your mine, and got the hell out. Now, you actually see your hands come out, actually place that mine, set the timings, wire it up, and get out. And all the time you’re under fire, all the time you’re going to be exposed, you’re going to hope your squadmates are looking after you. So we’re just going to really add to that level of intensity.â€

“So, how does that lead into what we can do with the Wii? The Wii is perfect for this. The Wii actually allows us to bring the physical approach, but now you’ve going to interact physically. Just imagine now that gun’s in your hands, as a player, not just on the screen. It’s in your hands, and you’ve got that controller, and now you’re shaking that controller. Maybe you’re rowing a boat across the river; now you’re actually rowing the controller. So these are some of the things that are just really going make you feel like you’re in that world.â€

Sounds preety cool. Hopefully they really bring some innovation to the dire and stale WWII FPS genre. Hopefully they can pull it off. I've got a feeling Vicarious Visions are working on this one since they did a good job on TH:AW and are obviously the Nintendo entusiasts. Therefore I know it will look sweet, because they are a very talented bunch.

Also a very important fact is it is probably most developed because Wii is very easy to develop for. This can only be a good thing and will probably lead to more 3rd party support.

Looks like this is one to look out for. Will this game have any form of multiplayer?

Good God I hope I can jump on a Nazi and shout CALL OF DUTY then shoot hiim in the face and go I call that your duty is to serve america and then wake him up and go I want some duty free calls to america to serve the duty there! And use the wiimote to piss in his face.

I imagine it will ahve Multiplayer, i think it was confirmed not long ago.. thouhg im not 100% on that.

I want the Wiimote's mic to be used, to talk to everyone. And do Haden's idea :hehe:

I imagine it will ahve Multiplayer, i think it was confirmed not long ago.. thouhg im not 100% on that.

I want the Wiimote's mic to be used, to talk to everyone. And do Haden's idea :hehe:

I thought that wasn't confirmed yet:heh:

The reason why it's the most developed version is because they would have already had the last game to build upon from the Gamecube. Stick some more visual effects in, slightly higher poly counts and texture sizes and you're ready.

The controls sound brilliant though from what's been posted above. Hopefully this will attract people to buy the Wii version over the other platforms with their boring "seen it all before" control schemes.

Is this a launch title at all? Or is it due a few weeks after launch?

I think it's a launch title Colin. Although i believe the 360/PS3 versions are further from completion.

I really don't know which one to buy! I may buy it on the PS3 at launch just because i have alot of other Wii games i want and 360 games coming out around then as well.

Although the way you control the game different is reallying not helping me decide!

PS3 or Wii?? mmmmmm

I thought that wasn't confirmed yet:heh:

Hence the "not 100% sure" bit

I'm definately getting this game at launch now! Hopefully it'll be online because there aren't many online confirmed games yet :(

PS3 or Wii?? mmmmmm

Get the Wii version Owen..........you know you want to. :wink:

You would also probably save £10-£15 on the price aswell over the ps3 version.

I'll definitely be picking this up if Red Steel becomes a duck. I haven't played a WW2 game since the original CoD, so quite looking forward to this. They best not make the controls suck, that's all I'm hoping.

Very hot, looking forward to this.

By the way, you could have used the old COD thread :P

This sounds awesome!!

Probably won't get it as a launch game (if it's out for launch), but I'm definately thinking I might get this now!

Hence the "not 100% sure" bit

That was attached to the Online Multiplayer part and not the MIC part. I was trying to say it hasn't been confirmed that there is a mic in the Wiimote.

I'll definitely be picking this up if Red Steel becomes a duck. I haven't played a WW2 game since the original CoD, so quite looking forward to this. They best not make the controls suck, that's all I'm hoping.

I remember reading before at the moment this game still has the same kind of controls Red Steel and Metroid Prime 3 have, the ability to aim anywhere on the screen but with clunky turning. I hope they end up changing it though because I really hate the look of the turning with this scheme.

never liked the wwII genere but i might look at it.i take it will use the wii mote as the controller like metrois and red steel.

The fire looks sooooo good :P

The smoke looks good. Not the fire. In fact it looks so good that makes the rest of the picture look bad.

Heh, the game needs some more work, but the smoke's finished :awesome:

Seems to me they've been making a Cube game, just got the latest hardware and started out with that extremely cool shader effect.

I don't think the videos on the main Revo-Europe page are actually from the Wii version, they have some very specifically normal console controls shown on screen at parts and the aiming system is regular FPS aiming, unlike the aim anywhere on screen aiming we've been seeing so far with early Wii games.