N-Europe

PC keeps shutting itself down... overheating?

CoolFunkMan

My PC likes to shut itself down at certain times. It doesn't happen too often, and only has happened about 4-5 times in the past few weeks. Still worries me though. It's just happened to me again, so after a few mins I unplugged the power cord, plugged it in again and turned on the power. All is fine now.

After using Everest to check temperatures, I found that my mobo is at 47c, cpu at 67c and my hard drive at 46c. I've heard anything under 90 is fine, so why it's doing this I dunno. My fans seem to be cooling it okay.

Maybe I should clean any dust out? If this is so, then how do I go about doing it without screwing up my hardware? Thanks if anyone can help...

Check the insides of the PC look for things that are obstructing the airflow. Like large IDE cables and such. Get a proper heatsink/fan for the cpu. And a couple of case fans. One on the bottom front of the case that blows air into the case. And one in a high place on the back that blows the air out

You could also try to see what happens when you remove the side covers. But any case fan won't do anything for the temps then.

It's probably the hot weather that's causing it. It makes temperatures in the PC sometimes get 10 degrees higher than normal and sometimes that's too much. You should be OK in a month or so. Make sure your PC can get itself ventilated well enough or else it'll only trap heat inside.

My PC now shuts down by itself too when I try encode MP3s (very harsh on the CPU). The Athlon XP gets itself up to 70 degrees sometimes and then the security closes it down.

It's probably the hot weather that's causing it. It makes temperatures in the PC sometimes get 10 degrees higher than normal and sometimes that's too much. You should be OK in a month or so. Make sure your PC can get itself ventilated well enough or else it'll only trap heat inside.

My PC now shuts down by itself too when I try encode MP3s (very harsh on the CPU). The Athlon XP gets itself up to 70 degrees sometimes and then the security closes it down.

I had the same problem with my old PC, if I recall correctly it got up to 76 (or 86, but 76 seems more likely)

I wouldn't recommend my solution , but it involved getting ice cube trays and placing them on the top of the base unit. they melted pretty quickly, but it did the trick, I had to be careful though, because obviously water getting into the machine would have been bad, and I was pretty surprised it actually worked. I wouldn't do it now though, mainly because I'd just take the PC shutting itself down as a sign I should be getting out more.

Ty for the options folks. There's a lot of cables around, though appears to be nowhere to move them. Though my comp does seem a lot cooler, there's a cool breeze coming through my windows, which is prolly helping.

If you'r talking about the 64 bit version, i have the same as you and it never gets past the 50º.

Nope, it's just a standard 3200.

Have you tried another power supply? This was happening to me ages ago until I bought a new one, and it worked out fine.

If its random cutting off's (like NOT always after youve had your pc on a while and not gettin BSOD's) i would say thats the culprit. And Psu's aren't to expensive to replace either.

Its not overheating, its a faulty power supply or your existing supply is not sufficent to power all of your devices (have you added any new devices recently?) You'll need a new one, set you back around £20.

I had the same problem with restarting on my MAME Arcade cabinet PC.

Yeah overheating usually happens in a pattern, like doing resource heavy processes, or having pc on for a long time. Loss of power from the psu will cut it off at any time. Or youve got corrupted ram, but it will crash at startup if thats the case.

My PC was normaly on 24/7, But now it turns off every day. If I try doing resource heavy processes it turns off instantly.

If a new cooling solution or a new PSU don't fix your problem it might be a memory fault. They can happen whenever they want (or when software requests the wrong part of it) and they go along with overheating and stuff.

Best idea is - put everything you don't need out from your PC. Let the case open and use a CPU/GPU heavy software (prime95, 3DMark, ...) and test it and try to monitor the temperature.

For memory I suggest memtest86.

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just got round to checking out the problem, been busy recentley....

...and isn't it amazing how simple some things can be....

After cleaning inside a little, I switched my comp back on and looked inside through my case's plastic pannel. A fan wasn't working. So I checked the wiring after unplugging everything, and found out that the fan wasn't connected to the power supply. :indeed: So after some fiddling about with wires it's working again. Temps are currentley at a nice 40c for mobo, 54c for cpu and 31c for hard drive, already a lot better than before!

Thanks for the help though guys! ^^ Sorry to put you all through this bother just for a case fan. I've still gotta test it some more. If it still goes wrong after that I'll post back here again.

Thanks again folks! :smile:

That's strange glad you got it fixed though. I think it's best to check the temps after the PC has been on a while.

I've heard it's best to keep the HDD below 40 degrees but mine is at 44 at the moment might be time to consider a hard drive cooler BUT by the time I get that the heatwave will be gone..

I'm not even sure my hard drive is reading the temp correctly as I've read it might be reading it higher than it actually is!