Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Football Season 2006/2007

Stocka

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, he did see him play quite regularly, If I remember him right.

The problem with Forlan was he just couldn't buy a goal. He's pretty much on a par with Shevchenko in terms of not being able to score.

top scorer in spain last year.

The Premiership is completely different from the spanish and italian leagues. It takes time to settle in (a whole season practically) but some just fail to adapt. Prime examples being Forlan, Shevchenko and spanish **** Reyes.

100% right. It takes at least a year to settle in to a new club.

Look at Hleb though.....it depends really.

Hleb is quality, fairly unsung in my opinion. Some games he is outstanding and some games you wonder if he's there. But who for Arsenal hasn't been like that this season?

I think the quiet low profile kind of players settle in just fine. Its the big money buys who begin to doubt themselves, or feel pressure to perform., who end up flopping or taking longer.

Hleb is quality, fairly unsung in my opinion. Some games he is outstanding and some games you wonder if he's there. But who for Arsenal hasn't been like that this season?

Agreed. I was slating Hleb at the beginning of the season a fair bit but I think he's been outstanding this season. He has no rival when it comes to making space for himself.

Rooney settled in almost immediatly, however, he's seemed to have more of a goal drought as time goes on. Saying this though, he's improved a lot as a player.

You fool, we're talking about foreign players. :heh:

(at least I think we are. Now I ain't sure)

(or unless you meant Ronaldo)

Another two examples of players needing a season are Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra at Man United. In the first season, Evra in particular was quite shocking.

However, they've both been outstanding this season. Our defence is so much better with these two guys in there.

Yeah Vidic is solid

It's quite funny, because Platty was chatting to me about him, and he said something like "Vidic can't head the ball for shit."

Then, Vidic actually started scoring, with headers of course. He's been pretty dominant in the air in defence as well, which is excellent.

You fool, we're talking about foreign players. :heh:

(at least I think we are. Now I ain't sure)

(or unless you meant Ronaldo)

Another two examples of players needing a season are Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra at Man United. In the first season, Evra in particular was quite shocking.

However, they've both been outstanding this season. Our defence is so much better with these two guys in there.

oh yeah, sorry. ( i didnt mean ronaldo no. - that would be the opposite, hes scoring them by the bucket full.)

I feel the same as you, i thought evra was crap but hes improved in the space of a few weeks. Vidic is amazing.

As for Forlan... I just laughed at him, he was so crap for UTD

Yeah them two have been revelations this year, just as well considering Brown and Heinze's struggle for form.

Do you think it is harder for strikers and midfielders to adapt to playing abroad? It's true that some players abilities just aren't suited to a particular league (Veron), but does this mean its easier for goalkeepers and defenders(more concentration, less ability required generally)?

I remember when the japper came to United and thinking how rubbish he was...(probably because he was high half the time:indeed: )

Yeh Hleb is sick but what I was saying was that last season he took a while to get used to the pace of the EPL. He kept holding the ball for too long, not letting it go quick enough and it was blatant whenever it happened considering Arsenal's slick passing game. He used to frustrate me so much.......

But that was last season. This season he has been immense.

Oh and on the subject of Rooney, he's had more disappearing acts than Houdini.

It's quite funny, because Platty was chatting to me about him, and he said something like "Vidic can't head the ball for shit."

Then, Vidic actually started scoring, with headers of course. He's been pretty dominant in the air in defence as well, which is excellent.

Meh, you win this round flinkymon.

But in his first season he was shocking and couldnt header for shit. However this year he has been solid and has learnt how to actually head the ball.

As for Rooney, yes he hasnt been scoring but he still puts in a good performance. Im sure in a few years Rooney will be a midfielder.... Scholes replacement perhaps.

How much did vidic actually cost man u?

I think it was undisclosed but Celtic put a 3 million bid in for him and apparently he had a 5 million buyout clause on his old contract with spartak Moscow so im guessing somewhere around that region perhaps a million or so more ?

EDIT: looks like it was 7 million

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/4570634.stm

Not for all players. Look at Rosicky, adapted in a few months.

Not quite, he has only scored 3 goals. However, I still think he's better in centre mid, but Fabregas is too good there.

If he is to turn into the Pires we want then he will need to bang in a few more. I think in 03/04 Pires scored 15+

Not quite, he has only scored 3 goals. However, I still think he's better in centre mid, but Fabregas is too good there.

If he is to turn into the Pires we want then he will need to bang in a few more. I think in 03/04 Pires scored 15+

Yeh exactly. Rosicky is a goal scoring midfielder and the fact that he aint even scored in the league yet shows you that he aint fully adapted to the EPL.

Next season he will be much better just like Hleb.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!