NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
SpinesN

Karma?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

For those of you that are more tech minded (pedro ;)) enjoy a good read. For everyone else let's just assume you have a lake that represents the cells processing power. Now assume to use this you have to suck it through a straw... ya that's karma alright :D

Yes there is a work around for it but it just makes programming more complex. An analogy of the work around would be to take your lake, dump it into another lake and use the river out of that lake to push out the processing power. The second lake would be the PS3's RSX gfx chip. Keep in mind this is still unconfirmed but there is also this that does support the idea.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31681

This should be in other consoles. However, I'm not techy minded, but I generally understood it, far better than your lake explanation at least.

This should be in other consoles. However, I'm not techy minded, but I generally understood it, far better than your lake explanation at least.

WORST ANALOGY EVER:p

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=32171

For those of you that are more tech minded (pedro ;)) enjoy a good read. For everyone else let's just assume you have a lake that represents the cells processing power. Now assume to use this you have to suck it through a straw... ya that's karma alright :D

Yes there is a work around for it but it just makes programming more complex. An analogy of the work around would be to take your lake, dump it into another lake and use the river out of that lake to push out the processing power. The second lake would be the PS3's RSX gfx chip. Keep in mind this is still unconfirmed but there is also this that does support the idea.

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31681

Ihave no idea what you mean by that? I am completely confused...:shakehead

Ihave no idea what you mean by that? I am completely confused...:shakehead

I think i get it, so your saying that the cell is powerful however its output is reather slow or limited?

So using the Xbox 360 chip is similar to using a britta water filter on a lake, right? I know the N64 chip was often compared to a swimming pool, but what about the DS?

Nah, I jest, I think it's a pretty good analogy.

ok all i saw there was broken and slow and horrible in connection with the PS3. that is good enough for me.

but in non techy talk what does it actually mean?

ok all i saw there was broken and slow and horrible in connection with the PS3. that is good enough for me.

but in non techy talk what does it actually mean?

It means means the PS3 sucks rivers from a straw, another feature other consoles AND pc's can't do, along with giant enemy crabs, 4D, levitate, blackholes, and realtime weapons change.

Seriously, I think the all article is just saying the Ps3 is a bottleneck system.

OK, I think I'm able to make some sense of this. In most PC CPU's they have a memory cache, this is the 128kb L2/256kb L1 stuff you often seen written alongside processor speeds and the like, when describing the performance characteristics. Usually this stuff is stupidly high speed and where the CPU actually does its processing, you move data from the main memory into the cache and then the CPU goes to work on it; it's more efficient as this data often has to make numerous passes through the CPU, the CPU cycles that you might hear talked about.

What I think Sony are saying, is, they've screwed up the cache on the CELL CPU. The speed of this memory is magnitudes slower than the system's main memory, so you can dump data into this cache really quickly, but it then is really slow at passing it to the CPU on each cycle. Sony's advice is that you side-step the cache and send the data to and from the main system memory for each cycle. The problem? In computing terms the distance to the main memory is like crossing the Atlantic to go grocery shopping, instead of the CPU cache which is the corner shop at the end of your street, this means you're potentially adding lag into your system. Yes, that horrible L word, the moment you see that you know it's not good.

So, it's bottlenecked. No surprise, actually. XBOX was a bit like too wasn't it? Still, the hardware isn't final, they can change it. Of course that would cost even more money for them. I think they have 2 year olds running their finances.

OK, I think I'm able to make some sense of this. In most PC CPU's they have a memory cache, this is the 128kb L2/256kb L1 stuff you often seen written alongside processor speeds and the like, when describing the performance characteristics. Usually this stuff is stupidly high speed and where the CPU actually does its processing, you move data from the main memory into the cache and then the CPU goes to work on it; it's more efficient as this data often has to make numerous passes through the CPU, the CPU cycles that you might hear talked about.

What I think Sony are saying, is, they've screwed up the cache on the CELL CPU. The speed of this memory is magnitudes slower than the system's main memory, so you can dump data into this cache really quickly, but it then is really slow at passing it to the CPU on each cycle. Sony's advice is that you side-step the cache and send the data to and from the main system memory for each cycle. The problem? In computing terms the distance to the main memory is like crossing the Atlantic to go grocery shopping, instead of the CPU cache which is the corner shop at the end of your street, this means you're potentially adding lag into your system. Yes, that horrible L word, the moment you see that you know it's not good.

:idea: Now thats how you summarise!

THANK YOU! see use shopping instead of lakes. i understand.

Lag i know that work far to well especially in Ironforge. i hate that place.

Sign in to follow this