N-Europe

The 100 dollar laptop (pics)

Charlie

I boldified the key word for you. We won't be seeing a commercial version for a while, and when (if) we do, I guarantee it will cost you a lot more than $100. So stop wanking yourselves off over the prospect of a cheap laptop, because you're not getting one.

They can't make it much more expensive than what it is, and I would gladly pay 30€ more to help them.

Fixed for you. Seriously, why is everyone getting excited, it'd be like travelling back to pre-1998.

Well, I like the idea etc, and I would probably only buy one to support them and for novelty value, not to actually use it. I just bought a MacBook Pro, I don't really need this, it's mainly for supporting them.

This is most likely the computer you will find in a pile of debris, sometime in the post apocalyptic future, that still functions properly.

Ha, i agree. I want one! Ive always wanted to send and recieve e-mail while taking a shower. what a time to be alive....

Fixed for you. Seriously, why is everyone getting excited, it'd be like travelling back to pre-1998.
A lot of students taking computer engineering classes have to use a old computer to put linux in...

Others have to buy a computer for university, just to write some documents and use the most basic stuff, it's standard nowadays... we have to pay hundreds of dolars for a decent portable, a lot of people can't afford that.

Also people who study electronic and comunication devices often need to go to the "computer graveyards" where there's just old computers and computers who mostly don't work, this would also allow them to take their projects higher with a lower cost.

the chipset it uses is a Gedeon so it's basically a old Athlon XP core running at very low voltages and well... very low core speeds, if they bump the voltage they can really take a hell of an overclock out of that...

This cheap portable is also pretty silent and Gedeon can even lack active cooling and go for passive, heatsync, and it frees little heat...

Gedeon (and VIA Cyrix/Eden for that matter) is a used a lot in Japan where they really have to watch the energy bill by the end of the month, not much people there use computers like ours, only if they have to... that's why japanese programs have low recomended specs... I mean in the golden age of the N64 they still had to provide a "ISA" card, based solution for japanese companies.

A 500 MHz computer is not that slow too, it can do 95% of the general purpose tasks.