N-Europe

M$ Vista minimum system requirements up

CompSci

Q. What is required to run Windows Vista?

A. If you purchased a PC in the last two years, chances are good that you can run Windows Vista today. To install and run the core functionality of Windows Vista, you need:

* An 800 MHz processor.

* 512 MB of RAM.

* A 20 GB hard drive with 15 GB of free space.

Advanced features, like the new user experience Windows Aero, require advanced or additional hardware.

also a some what simple vista Upgrade Advisor app is up as well, try it to see if you can run vista

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/default.mspx

w00t w00t now I won't need norton anymore to slow my system down : peace: : peace: : peace:

But I think with the new multicore CPUs it's quite ok, well the standard version. But according to gamestar.de the aero version will need Shader Model 2.0, a 128 mb graphics card and 1GHz CPU.

But if you think, in a year from now this won't be that incredible anymore.

Three years ago 128mb was much for XP and a 128mb Graphics Card was the holy grail and now this is low-end.

w00t, I just got my new computer for school. Its a 64Bit AMD 3500+ processor, 1gig RAM and a 250gig harddrive I belive :) Video card is shitty right now tho xD But looks like I can run Vista just fine :yay:

Guest Jordan

Looks like my 2 machines are okay.

Athlon 64 3800+, 2GB ram, 80GB boot drive.

Athlon XP 3200+, 1GB ram, 80GB boot drive.

Just multiply those by two and you're getting the numbers that can run the vista with only a bit of slowdown. Seriously I have those exact specs at my other comp, and it barely can run XP.

So I think that they got vista to run on that hardware, doing something with it will probably need more power...

Meh, I'm going to hang back for a couple of years, wait until they descover all the giant security holes and bugs, and then get a whole new DX10 system. Those are pretty high specs though. What's so great about the aero desktop again?

Well I posted this somewhere else before, but it got 0 replies. I need some input on this:

Everyone knows that the future of pc gaming is in dx10 + vista. Microsoft has no plans on supporting dx10 and it's improved graphics capability on xp. There will be upgrade on dx9 but it's not the same as 10. So every pc gamer that wants to be at the cutting edge of hardware will have to buy vista.

Now that's probably the only valid reason for me to buy a copy, but at the same time the reason not to buy it. Microsoft basically tells ati and nvidia what features should they have on their next graphics chip. For me it seems like Microsoft is forcing me (a gamer) to buy vista, but I don't like to be forced to do anything.

Vista has many upgrades to XP but when you think about it how much do you need them? I don't even use all the features that xp has. And for some actual businesses there seems to be little or no point in upgrading to vista. Word processing, spreadsheet etc. can be done with a lesser computer running nt/xp (this doesn't mean that all businesses shouldn't upgrade though) . So I think that's why microsoft is trying to target gamers as an audience.

I think there's no valid reason for xp not to support dx10 (other than lazy programmers...)

I don't think I'll bother yet. It's probably going to cost quite a bit considering it's not going to come with a new PC for me (is it coming in any OEM versions?) and then we'll be practically beta testing it for Microsoft to fix all the bugs and security holes they will leave in there.

And then DX 10 won't be mainstream until late next year anyway what with it coming out in January now.

in my personal view windows xp is the best operating system that ever was. and i said that since the first pre-beta when it was known as whistler

w00t w00t now I won't need norton anymore to slow my system down : peace: : peace: : peace:

[...]

now that makes me happy xD

Solaris? Do enlighten me...

For me it seems like Microsoft is forcing me (a gamer) to buy vista, but I don't like to be forced to do anything.

Vista has many upgrades to XP but when you think about it how much do you need them? I don't even use all the features that xp has. And for some actual businesses there seems to be little or no point in upgrading to vista. Word processing, spreadsheet etc. can be done with a lesser computer running nt/xp (this doesn't mean that all businesses shouldn't upgrade though) . So I think that's why microsoft is trying to target gamers as an audience.

I think there's no valid reason for xp not to support dx10 (other than lazy programmers...)

Oh, absolutely. I think it's got more to do with the "$" in "M$" then anything else though. I will still get Vi$ta eventually for Dx10, but I really could do without that pain in my ass that I get everytime Bill Gat£$ uses me as his bitch. :red:

Seems reasonable to me, Mac OS requires a 1ghz G4 now I think, and 512mb is recommended.

I won't be adopting until 2010 probably.. lets say it comes out spring 2007, it probably wont fly on the systems available at a reasonable price (Dell etc..) give it 2 years for hardware prices to become reasonable for something just a tad above the recommended requirements.

Minimum will be shit though.. you all know how bad XP is on minimum.

15gb seems highly unreasonable though.. could be another bloated system?

I don't know.. maybe I'll come back to Microsoft, I really like the idea of having Linux, Open Office and free standards.

Providing they are as reliable as their corporate alternative.

but i might get a bigger hard drive this summer... but is it really worth it? to buy vista?

Well if you want to play new games, then yes, otherwise, no, not really. Unless you're ready for a change. I'll be (or my dad will anyway) upgrading my PC to Vista no matter what. I like new things :heh:

Well if you want to play new games, then yes, otherwise, no, not really. Unless you're ready for a change. I'll be (or my dad will anyway) upgrading my PC to Vista no matter what. I like new things :heh:

new things are fun but i want to get MCE w/ the tv tuner for my pc pretty soon since it has lots of cool features and all that like with the 360 and stuff but if Vista comes out soon i dont want to buy it so i guess basically does anyone know when the first full version of vista come out? or is it out there already and im too stupid to know haha

I think it's got more to do with the "$" in "M$" then anything else though.

I wouldn't say that's the whole picture. Microsoft aren't pushing Vista for the money they'll make off people upgrading, they're pushing it to tighten their grip on the market as a whole.

Live Anywhere. That's why Microsoft want you to use Vista for gaming. I'm not saying the idea is bad — a little consolidation could do wonders for PC gaming, especially online — but it does involve allowing Microsoft to further encroach upon your life; they'll be on your phones, your consoles, your PCs at work and home.

Personally I think the benefits will outweigh the negatives, but I guess we'll have to wait and see. All that is certain is that this will make Microsoft a lot of money, and some of it will most likely be mine.

I'll be (or my dad will anyway) upgrading my PC to Vista no matter what. I like new things :heh:

yeah but it better to wait until vista sp1 gets released before upgrading, who knows the what bugs and security holes the gold vr has, remember what happened to win Xp when it first got released the driver/security fiasco, i mean messenger service on by default and firewall off? wtf what where the nerds at M$ smoking when thought of that.

Plus... well, you lot aren't going to like the DRM that are supposedly being put into Vista. I'm assuming it only stands with CD's and movies but it could stretch to other things such as ROM's...

Anyway. I'm not sure how true this is so I'm going to wait for quite a while and sit on my new PC fund preferabley until the GF 8000 series. I do all work and movies on my iBook anyway. Only really play games on PC.