NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
conzer16

Why is Europe always ripped off??

Why are Europeans always ripped out of it when it comes to video games consoles.

Take for instance the Sony ps3.

$599 in America

€599 in Europe

Around 62790 Yen in Japan

But $599 is €463. Why do Europeans have to pay €136 more than Americans?

62790 Yen is €443. Why do Europeans have to pay €156 more than the Japanese?

And it will be the same for the Wii.......

$199 = €154, but Europeans will pay €199 - €45 more than Americans

21000 yen = €148, but Europeans will pay €51 more than the Japanese

Is it just me or does this seem totally unfair??

Why is it that theses consoles will cost more in Europe, when they are priced reasonably similarly elsewhere......:mad:

Magical thing called EU tax?

Might have something to do with it.

Purely speculating though.

so because you decide to buy a games console the EU can charge you 150 quid??

wankers....

so because you decide to buy a games console the EU can charge you 150 quid??

wankers....

It's more like £80(for PS3); but yes, I agree with your sentiment.

599 U.S. dollars = 316.85 British pounds

PS3 in uk: £425. £108.15 more expensice.

PS3 in uk: £425. £108.15 more expensice.

Pure speculation. That £425 price tag is merely a gamestation placeholder mate.

€599 = £409

I wonder will the price be marked up even further in Ireland. We always get the wrong end of the stick.....

It's not possible to convert the price of consoles, games or anything by using the currency rate. Things just don't work that way. For instance in the US all prices are without tax. In the UK if it says £50 that is how much you pay and it includes 17.5% VAT. However in America when it says $50 you then have to pay the tax for that state on top of that price.

There's also market demand and competition, the economy, distribution, taxes etc that all go into it.

You just have to accept that things cost different amounts depending on where you buy them.

I think the consoles i've bought here were pretty cheap. I think its just Sony grabbing as much money as possible.

Things are just cheaper in the US....But you REALLY shouldn't worry, because we're also paid more, which makes up for it SLIGHTY; though they're still better off with the cheapness.

It's not possible to convert the price of consoles, games or anything by using the currency rate. Things just don't work that way. For instance in the US all prices are without tax. In the UK if it says £50 that is how much you pay and it includes 17.5% VAT. However in America when it says $50 you then have to pay the tax for that state on top of that price.

There's also market demand and competition, the economy, distribution, taxes etc that all go into it.

You just have to accept that things cost different amounts depending on where you buy them.

Sure but there are also different taxes withing Europe. In germany you pay 16% taxes when you buy the console - so 16% of the 200€ go to the government in Austria it is 20% and in the UK 17.5%. That means in Austria Nintendo gets less money from every sold Wii than in the UK. Basicly it is a "communistic" marketing scheme. Some countries pay for the others that is how the EU works. Germany, UK, France pay the most and other countries just recieve money. That is why importing a console is sometimes a way to safe money...

To add to Darv's comment.. companies also have to worry about swings in the exchange rate. Exchange rates arent fixed, so a company like Nintendo or Sony dont suddenly want to start making a loss on their consoles just because of an adverse change in the exchange rate.

Remember when comparring prices from the UK that the value £ is so much higher than the $, so prices in other countries will allways seem much cheaper, for everything. It's the way exchange rates work.

I won't buy a PS3, so I don't care, but they always translate $ prices into the same price in €. HEY COCKFAGS! THE EURO IS WORTH MORE!

Hellfire - Thats exactly my point!! If the Euro is worth more surley we should be paying less ie: if USA pays $599 why cant we pay €465??

(same goes for Wii just using ps3 price cos we dont know wii's definite price)

system_error - In Ireland the tax is 21%.....:(

Anybody considered that these things aren't made around here either? Plus the multi-country distribution system they must have to set up. Can't be all that cheap.

Diemetrix - Ireland and Norway are two of the most expensive European countries apparently....

Wasnt the 360 marked up an extra €10 (and whatever that is in kroner(?)) cos of tax reasons in these countries?

For people who don't know, when the PS2 came out in the US it was $299. When it came out here, it was £299. In other words, there was no conversion at all.

This time it's more likely there'll be one, but I do NOT expect under £450 for the $599 model.

the £350/£410 price tag is based on price translations.

I'd say more personally.. more like £389/£449.

Anyway.. Europe is ripped off because the quality of life here is probably the best in the world.

Japan you say? Well fact is- they pay more for most things than we do.. sure their electronics economy is good.. but do you really want to eat an mp3 player for breakfast? The little things like cereal and clothes- the 'cost of living' is higher.

If you want a first class health service, a relatively good education system and benefit when you don't have a job to name just a few good examples- you have to pay taxes.

Sure it's a bummer that we pay a lot for electronics- but there is more to life than a games console.

How about you go to America and look at what they pay for health insurance- every month millions of young Americans make the decision between health insurance and a social life- it's quite a gamble.

"Will I fall out of a window this month?" honestly.. while it does suck a little bit- we live in a pretty decent part of the world and Nintendo are pretty reasonable to us.

You'll understand when you're older if you think things like housing, healthcare and benefits don't matter. I certainly wouldn't want to be a student in the American university system today.

By the way, Norway is terrible- £8 a pint I heard. No comment on Ireland though ;) bunch of Guinness drinking fighting carrot tops.

By the way, Norway is terrible- £8 a pint I heard. No comment on Ireland though ;)bunch of Guinness drinking fighting carrot tops.

ouch.........:indeed:

Poor old Norway, whenever I go there I spend a fortune, sarka_girly foolishly bought a Reindeer skin there for 600 kroner. Fool...

Still, isn't the cost of living generally more in Europe aswell, and so are wages. It all evens out I'm sure...

Still, isn't the cost of living generally more in Europe aswell, and so are wages. It all evens out I'm sure...

Our wages are quite high :) So It's not that bad. This month I have about 10000kr more to spend tha usual :yay: (A 360premium costs 3390kr here, and a DS costs 1190kr)

Sign in to follow this