NEurope
Ashley

Super Smash Bros. Brawl (Spoilers Topic)

I'm pretty sure I performed combos in soul calibur 2. The ones I did mostly consisted of launching the opponent into the air and then juggling him.

I think the problem with the lack of strings in brawl is that whenever you successfully approach someone, you can get 1 or 2 hits in before they knock you away with their fastest attack, and then you have to approach all over again. This becomes troublesome vs characters with large priority or a good projectile game. Wherein melee it was easier to punish someone that spaced poorly and they had to make more of an effort to escape your follow-up attacks.

Bottom line is that there is a LOT more room for mistakes in brawl, this is coming from someone who had never heard of wavedashing until 2006.

Thank you Jonnas. You're one of the few people on this site who really seems to know what he's talking about.

I'm pretty sure I performed combos in soul calibur 2. The ones I did mostly consisted of launching the opponent into the air and then juggling him.

I think the problem with the lack of strings in brawl is that whenever you successfully approach someone, you can get 1 or 2 hits in before they knock you away with their fastest attack, and then you have to approach all over again. This becomes troublesome vs characters with large priority or a good projectile game. Wherein melee it was easier to punish someone that spaced poorly and they had to make more of an effort to escape your follow-up attacks.

Bottom line is that there is a LOT more room for mistakes in brawl, this is coming from someone who had never heard of wavedashing until 2006.

Most of the time people could DI out of your combos once they had been launched in SCII.

When I said there were practically no combos in Soul Calibur II, I wasn't saying they didn't exist, I was saying their importance was very minor.

Yes, you can make combos (not in the air, as Deathjam already pointed out. I didn't even know THAT was the DI everyone talked about), but they're basic at best.

It's much more rewarding to not rely on them. I had a friend who used Raphael, and he preferred to rely on mindgames, quick dodges, good spacing, etc. And it worked. He always pulled off his strongest move, Affondo Fendante, when I least expected (and was much deadlier than any combo he could do).

Even when he didn't use Raphael, our matches still never had combos. Whenever I tried to do something with Taki, Maxi or Cassandra, it never worked (because of the DI).

[/offtopic]

Anyway, on to Brawl.

@Deathjam: The explosives you mentioned, that were in Melee, were mainly capsules, crates and barrels that couldn't be turned off. It sucked big time, you couldn't have a "projectiles only" or a "Pokéballs only" match, because they always appeared.

One of the best things they did in Brawl was giving you the option to turn Crates and Barrels off. The capsules are still there, but they were the lesser of the evils, really. At last we can have a good items match without a random explosion every 10 seconds.

When I said there were practically no combos in Soul Calibur II, I wasn't saying they didn't exist, I was saying their importance was very minor.

Yes, you can make combos (not in the air, as Deathjam already pointed out. I didn't even know THAT was the DI everyone talked about), but they're basic at best.

It's much more rewarding to not rely on them. I had a friend who used Raphael, and he preferred to rely on mindgames, quick dodges, good spacing, etc. And it worked. He always pulled off his strongest move, Affondo Fendante, when I least expected (and was much deadlier than any combo he could do).

Even when he didn't use Raphael, our matches still never had combos. Whenever I tried to do something with Taki, Maxi or Cassandra, it never worked (because of the DI).

[/offtopic]

Anyway, on to Brawl.

@Deathjam: The explosives you mentioned, that were in Melee, were mainly capsules, crates and barrels that couldn't be turned off. It sucked big time, you couldn't have a "projectiles only" or a "Pokéballs only" match, because they always appeared.

One of the best things they did in Brawl was giving you the option to turn Crates and Barrels off. The capsules are still there, but they were the lesser of the evils, really. At last we can have a good items match without a random explosion every 10 seconds.

Awesome. Haven't played melee in awhile so my anger levels are low :D Still hyped to get brawl.

I'm also looking to sell my copy but I'm not advertising it in the game's thread...

I know, I can't really think of a place to put it without making me seem offtopic and spamful though.

NOOO!!! My copy of Brawl won't work any more! :( :( I've just tried playing it four times, and each time, after I click on 'start' but before the main Brawl menu comes up, I've got a message saying that 'an error has occured'. Could this be the dirty lens problem that was reported around launch? I suppose NOE won't fix it, either, or at least not until Brawl comes out here. :cry:

NOOO!!! My copy of Brawl won't work any more! :( :( I've just tried playing it four times, and each time, after I click on 'start' but before the main Brawl menu comes up, I've got a message saying that 'an error has occured'. Could this be the dirty lens problem that was reported around launch? I suppose NOE won't fix it, either, or at least not until Brawl comes out here. :cry:

That happened to me...A LOT! But after a few days it was fine :)

Just had the best session of melee ever. So much craziness happened, so many memorable moments. Managed to finally meteor smash my mate, only for him to return the favour an hr later (we played this thing for about....5 hrs straight, maybe more).

BUT, we confirmed today the computer cheats. Constant priority abuse, collision detection issues (walking through bo-ombs, canceling stronger moves with weaker ones [i swear they have to be the same strength to cancel, i.e. smash against smash]), item physics abuse (catching a barrel/box thrown at them, picking up the voltorb/electrode pokemon when its about to blow and throwing it at you(!), picking up a bo-omb and throwing it hard, only for it to continue walking) and recovery from situations where they really should have died.

Obviously, this stuff happens most at level 9 ai but I have heard the ai in brawl is much better. Please tell me that they don still commit these heinous acts. The game is still fun, but the computer is exploiting factors which the human players never can do, making it cheating.

Obviously, this stuff happens most at level 9 ai but I have heard the ai in brawl is much better. Please tell me that they don still commit these heinous acts. The game is still fun, but the computer is exploiting factors which the human players never can do, making it cheating.

Computers in Brawl are even more annoying to fight, at least that's my opinion. They manage to shield and dodge practically every attack perfectly at level 9 which makes fighting them a huge chore because I have to play extremely defensively. And of course they can use items perfectly like the Dragoon and Final Smashes. This is made worse by the fact that in Free for all matches with 3 CPU's and one human player they always target the player so it's basically like a team match. You often see a CPU with a dragoon or a Final Smash ready trying to desperately hit the human player while the other 2 CPU's stand somewhere else waiting or exchanging small hits.

:yay: :yay: :yay:

I've pre-ordered the game in one of their shops. I hope they have it in France and I will have one. It looks a lot better than the original one.

Fack, already pre-ordered it from shopto.net. But then im not paying and extra what, 3-5 pounds for a sleeve. I need that money damnit!

Thank you for the information, Tellyn :smile:

Is this available in store or online.. or both?

Not a problem. :) I'm not sure... is someone going to be in GAME today? If so, ask about the promotion in-store. It's likely that it's cheaper in-store for some reason, I swear it was £29.99 when I looked.

That looks better than the official boxart.

AHAHAHAHAHA

Yay... And I have £10 off it!

I think I'm the only person who prefers the old one to be honest, the new one is quite cool but I still like the old one. But I've preordered it from GAME anyway so I'll have it, but does anyone know if this is a cardboard sleeve that goes over the case (like on some DVD's) or if this one simply replaces the old one?

I think I'm the only person who prefers the old one to be honest, the new one is quite cool but I still like the old one. But I've preordered it from GAME anyway so I'll have it, but does anyone know if this is a cardboard sleeve that goes over the case (like on some DVD's) or if this one simply replaces the old one?

It goes on top of the box, we still have the normal box underneath.