Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

EchoDesiato

• Replies 5.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Final Fantasy XIII (Playstation 3/Enix Public garden) (–) 1 675

2. Biohazard 5 (Playstation 3/Capcom) (–) 1 256

3. Metal GEAR Solid 4 (Playstation 3/Konami) (–) 1 145

4. Summon Night 4 (Playstation 2/Banpresto) (–) 816

5. Blue Dragon (Xbox 360/Microsoft) (–) 774

6. Seiken Densetsu 4 (Playstation 2/Enix Public garden) (–) 721

7. The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii/Nintendo) (–) 700

8. Tales of Destiny (Playstation 2/Bandai Namco) (+1) 631

9. Ryuu ga Gotoku 2 (Playstation 2/Sega) (+1) 519

10. Super Robot Wars OG (Playstation 2/Banpresto) (+1) 509

11. Dragon Quest Monsters Joker (Nintendo DS/Enix Public garden) (- 3) 472

12. Gyakuten Saiban 4 (Nintendo DS/Capcom) (–) 445

13. Fushigi No Dungeon: Furai No Shiren DS (Nintendo DS/Sega) (+2) 387

14. Super Smash Bros Brawl (Wii/Nintendo) (+2) 371

15. Monster Hunter Portable 2nd (PSP/Capcom) (- 1) 360

16. Dead gold Alive Xtreme 2 (Xbox 360/Tecmo) (+1) 354

17. Utaware Rumono (Playstation 2/Aquaplus) (+3) 350

18. Higurashi No Naku Kei nor Matsuri (Playstation 2/Alchemist) (+7) 323

19. Zelda: Phantom Hourglass (Nintendo DS/Nintendo) (- 1) 313

20. Monster Hunter 3 (Playstation 3/Capcom) (- 1) 297

And Japanese are supposed to be a smart race?? :nono:

Oh that would mean it would go WW, OoT and then TP

Why would it go TWW, OoT and then TP? You saw the ancient Hylian written on signs and stuff in OoT, and Modern Hylian in TWW. Now they've apperently found out that TP will have the Modern Hylian, which means that maybe something big has happened between OoT and TP. The timeline is as I recall OoT - TP - TWW.

But maybe Nintendo isn't really making it such a big thing about it. I honestly don't think they are. Most stuff in Zelda games are just coinsidences or something they make up when making a new Zelda game. For example, they never mention anything about TP in TWW story. The hero of time was obviously Link from OoT who dissapeared when he went to Termina in MM. But of course, we can't say for sure what is going to happen in TP. It might just end with the great flooding, which I think. Would be an extremely cool ending, but why is Link (the hero of time) in TP not mentioned in TWW then...?

It is indeed mysterious... :nono:

They never mention anything about TP in TWW story. The hero of time was obviously Link from OoT who dissapeared when he went to Termina in MM. But of course, we can't say for sure what is going to happen in TP. It might just end with the great flooding, which I think. Would be an extremely cool ending, but why is Link (the hero of time) in TP not mentioned in TWW then...?

@ Pedro:

From what I understood of the TWW storyline is that Ganon came back quite some time after being locked up in the Sacred Realm. Through legend (takes time to evolve!) people hoped for the Hero of Time to rescue them, but OoT Link had died or got stuck in Termina. Ganon could return because there were simply no Links around to defeat him.

At the time, the sages would have, with nothing better to do, destroyed Hyrule so Ganon wouldn't get what he wanted. The Master Sword was placed in the pedestal by OoT Link, and the new Sages were different types (Earth and Air) than in Ocarina of Time. The Sages couldn't live forever and therefore they should've had successors anyway.

A storyline with Link failing would be pretty unsatisfactory, I'd say.

@ Pedro:

From what I understood of the TWW storyline is that Ganon came back quite some time after being locked up in the Sacred Realm. Through legend (takes time to evolve!) people hoped for the Hero of Time to rescue them, but OoT Link had died or got stuck in Termina. Ganon could return because there were simply no Links around to defeat him.

At the time, the sages would have, with nothing better to do, destroyed Hyrule so Ganon wouldn't get what he wanted. The Master Sword was placed in the pedestal by OoT Link, and the new Sages were different types (Earth and Air) than in Ocarina of Time. The Sages couldn't live forever and therefore they should've had successors anyway.

A storyline with Link failing would be pretty unsatisfactory, I'd say.

Not quite, people indeed hoped that the Hero of Time would return, since he was the hero of the legends, but the real reason for his absence is due to the fact that this part of the story is based off after OoT's adult ending, since Link went back 7 years he ceased to exist in that reality.

TP Link will not utterly fail, it's more like things will go wrong, in the end he will most likely not be able to seal ganon. And the goddesses will have to intervene.

It's likely that it wasn't the sages intervention that sunk hyrule though; infact... they could be dead by the end of TP stopping Link from sealing ganon, Fado and Laruto were aparently killed by Ganon minnions after being awakened as sages... they are bound to not having sucessors right away.

About Sages specifics (Air and Earth temples)... Laruto and Fado seem to me Water and Forest temple sages (a kokiri and a zora), but we didn't have those in WW.

Ah, I see... :hmm:

When is the GC version of this game coming to Europe? About a week ago I read (source) that it would come out on December the 15th but just a few minutes ago I read that it would come out in January. (source) Please tell me that I can play this game at Christmas!

At first they said that the GC version of TP would be released the 8th of December with the Wii version, but now it's going to be released a week after, on the 15th of December. SO DON'T WORRY, Jakeee! We'll have TP for GC just before christmas :santa::santa:

It's only in Australia the GC version will be released in January...!

Lucky for us :D

remember shingsy has stated that loz and la will come between oot and mm.

then there is tp suposedly.

i guess that modern hyilian developed between oot and tp. it would make the story line more clear if they made a re-make of loz and la.

No, Shigsy-san never said that. And do you mean Adventure of Link, not Link's Awakening?

NP: Where do all the Zelda games fall into place when arranged chronologically by their stories?

M: Ocarina of Time is the first story, then the original Legend of Zelda, then Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and finally A Link to the Past. It's not very clear where Link's Awakening fits in--it could be anytime after Ocarina of Time.

It's been questioned if this was not a mistranslation on NP side (japanese to english), similar to the one where Aonuma claimed WW took place "hundreds of years" (notice the plural) after OoT and was translated to "a hundred years".

Lastly even if Shigeru said it back then... It shouldn't hold true today; with that kind of info we don't even know in which of the realities it takes place.

Link's Awakening is a confirmed (in the manual, I believe) direct sequel to aLttP for example. just like how OoT is linked to MM.

EDIT: This should be what holds true today:

Aonuma revealed there have been a few timelines over the past two decades of Zelda. There have been several variations of a single timeline theory that held up until Ocarina of Time came out, in which either A Link to the Past was before the NES games, or after. But after Ocarina of Time came out, the ending of the game threw a curve ball to the creators. You see, before A Link to the Past, the story was made up as an afterthought. Then Kensuke Tanabe was brought on as the scenario writer for A Link to the Past and Link's Awakening, and the story of the games became more dynamic, even though they've never been on par with hardcore RPGs like Final Fantasy.

With Ocarina of Time's release, the development team deciced to make a huge document that somehow connected the Zelda games together, albeit in more than one way. There are several versions and revisions in this documentation, and it still isn't exactly finalized. While it took the ending of Ocarina of Time to get the Zelda team to care about the timeline more than the in-game stories, it took The Wind Waker to really juxtapose how big of a deal just how many timelines, let alone how many ways the games fit together, there really are. Aonuma admits that his remarks in an interview before The Wind Waker's release in Japan were meant to convey "two timelines". At that point, there was a great debate over whether the ending of Ocarina of Time should spawn off many timelines, or if there should just be one.

After seeing fans' reactions to The Wind Waker and the heated timeline debates, Eiji decided he would begin to make the timeline a bit more clear to fans with each successive installment. He still insists that Four Swords Adventures and The Minish Cap have great importance to the timeline, even though at one point they (the Four Swords games) were in their own little timeline with Oracles. So, what the heck is the timeline as of now? Brace yourselves. There really isn't a comprehensive timeline at this moment connecting all the games because Eiji and company are working on "fixing" the timeline so it can make sense, yet keep its mysterious allure. The goal is to clear up the existing games, but to also leave fans wondering what could happen in the future. He also acknowledges that there are gaps to be filled that could be explained in future installments. But if anything is clear from our talk, the timeline is still chaotic at best, and it is going to take some time before much sense can be made of it. But for those of you looking for something solid, Eiji simply points to the release of Twilight Princess. He insists it will bring closure to Ocarina of Time's ending, and perhaps tie it to another recent title which is the source of much confusion (The Wind Waker). Patience is a virtue in the realm of Hyrule, and Eiji asks fans to wait just a bit longer.

Source: http://www.zhq2.com/eiji_exclusive_part1.shtml

All main quest Zelda games since OoT have a explained direct connection to it though.

The game begins with Link living in Ordon Village, working as a goat wrangler. This changes, however, when he is asked by the village’s mayor to visit the Hyrule Summit. In doing so, Link leaves behind Ilia, the mayor’s daughter. It is his journey beyond the village which leads him to first encounter with the Twilight Realm. Early on in the game, Ilia and a young boy who has been referred to as “Colin” are kidnapped by a group of monsters. Link is knocked unconscious but later pursues and battles their leader on horseback. After Link enters the Twilight Realm, he is transformed into a wolf, captured and imprisoned in a castle. With the help of a strange, imp-like creature named Midna, he escapes and they join forces.

The game begins with Link living in Ordon Village, working as a goat wrangler. This changes, however, when he is asked by the village’s mayor to visit the Hyrule Summit. In doing so, Link leaves behind Ilia, the mayor’s daughter. It is his journey beyond the village which leads him to first encounter with the Twilight Realm. Early on in the game, Ilia and a young boy who has been referred to as “Colin†are kidnapped by a group of monsters. Link is knocked unconscious but later pursues and battles their leader on horseback. After Link enters the Twilight Realm, he is transformed into a wolf, captured and imprisoned in a castle. With the help of a strange, imp-like creature named Midna, he escapes and they join forces.

Is that new info Dante?

Not quite, people indeed hoped that the Hero of Time would return, since he was the hero of the legends, but the real reason for his absence is due to the fact that this part of the story is based off after OoT's adult ending, since Link went back 7 years he ceased to exist in that reality.

TP Link will not utterly fail, it's more like things will go wrong, in the end he will most likely not be able to seal ganon. And the goddesses will have to intervene.

It's likely that it wasn't the sages intervention that sunk hyrule though; infact... they could be dead by the end of TP stopping Link from sealing ganon, Fado and Laruto were aparently killed by Ganon minnions after being awakened as sages... they are bound to not having sucessors right away.

About Sages specifics (Air and Earth temples)... Laruto and Fado seem to me Water and Forest temple sages (a kokiri and a zora), but we didn't have those in WW.

Except that's just a bullshit theory....people always just make up other 'dimensions' when they can't think of anything else.

The Hero of Time could have simply died before he knew anything about Ganon & the flooding incident was going to happen, therefore wouldn't have been able to come and stop it, and there where no other Links around at the time.

Except that's just a bullshit theory....people always just make up other 'dimensions' when they can't think of anything else.

The Hero of Time could have simply died before he knew anything about Ganon & the flooding incident was going to happen, therefore wouldn't have been able to come and stop it, and there where no other Links around at the time.

The dimension thing is confirmed by aonuma in a interview I quoted in the last page... and I disagree with "can't think of anything else" it's not used like that, in this case. You could say the same thing for the fact that there's a new Link (and Zelda) in almost every Zelda game... that's one of Zelda strenghts as a franchise, IMO.

The rest is just what WW explained or hinted at, I was not trying to explain a theory, otherwise I'd say so, although it has guesswork; since we can't know for sure what will happen in TP, since it's not out yet, but I believe we can have a good idea. We know it most likely won't end well, even for what Nintendo hinted at.

Things we don't know like where does AlttP take place, since OoT is supposedly a prequel to it... that's guesswork, and I'd highlight that if I made a bet or said where I wanted it to take place.

Hero of Time ceased to exist in TP/WW reality, we know that because we know where TP/WW take place and we know OoT's ending. Hero of Time will never learn directly of this because the road of times is closed.

Sure Nintendo could make a argument in order to open it, but it would fell forced and uncalled for.

Just for the record MM never happened in TP/WW storyline. And that's where Hero of Time is.

Zelda fans will be Zelda fans :)
Indeed, but since OoT that there's story linking...

The thing I don't want to fit is NES Loz, AoL, Oracle games, etc... I feel it would be too forceful and wouldn't make much sense.

We don't need a timeline, we just need new mainquest Zelda's to have a direct connection, relation to another zelda.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!