NEurope
EchoDesiato

Zelda: Twilight Princess Discussion (SPOILERS: BEWARE)

IGN news.

Diehard Nintendo fans were surprised to see that in the Wii version of The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, franchise hero Link no longer wields a sword in his left hand. Nintendo apparently made the change because of the game's new Wii-mote enhanced sword swiping mechanics, which enable players to gesture slicing motions to make Link slash with his blade. The developer apparently felt that because so many people play with the Wii-mote in their right hand, Link should become right-handed. But don't settle for our paraphrasing - read what legendary producer Shigeru Miyamoto has to say on the subject.

Nintendo recently conducted a Q&A session on various Wii related topics. When asked why Link was left-handed in the Wii version of Twilight Princess, Miyamoto had this to say:

"Although Link is [traditionally] left-handed, at E3 we noticed people seemed to be using the right Wii controller to swing his sword. That's why we decided to make Link right-handed. The interesting this is, on the GameCube Link is still left-handed; because of the mirror mode the game map is reversed."

There you have it. Rampant message board wars speculating back and forth about a mirror mode may now rest in peace.

EDIT: Bah

Wait, so the gamecube version is different to the Wii version, with the map being completely mirrored??? O.o

This means i HAVE to have the cube version. I need confirmation that its coming out here.

Wait, so the gamecube version is different to the Wii version, with the map being completely mirrored??? O.o

This means i HAVE to have the cube version. I need confirmation that its coming out here.

Why Dabookerman?

When I first heard that the Wii version had been mirrored, although I thought it was a bit of an odd way to make Link right handed, I realised that when playing the game, we wouldn't notice the swap, as we wouldn't have played the 'original' version. I think it's really bad decision not to follow suit with the GameCube version, now, as there'll be no definitive version of TP Hyrule.

I've said it numerous times.

Tough guys will play the game on Wii, that is the definitive version to us.

The better question is now what will be with left handed people.

Is there a mirror-mode option like in DS games where you select the hand with which you use the stylus.

If so you could still play a left handed Link after all in the TP Version.

Although I don't think they'll include different control schemes for left and righthanded people in general (but would be nice for TP). After all it's not like a stylus you are used to holding because of pens.

I've said it numerous times.

Tough guys will play the game on Wii, that is the definitive version to us.

Indeed, and the game will build us huge muscles. Hooray for gaming!

The better question is now what will be with left handed people.

Is there a mirror-mode option like in DS games where you select the hand with which you use the stylus.

If so you could still play a left handed Link after all in the TP Version.

Some DS games, like brain training, allow the option of left-handed or right-handed (and twists the screen around). Some others (that use the stylus and 4 buttons/D-pad) let you use either D-Pad or the 4 buttons to control the game.

Because of this left/right handed Zelda thing, I've just realised that I could have more trouble getting used to some games...I would use a sword in my left hand, but my right hand would be better for aiming a gun. This means that I'll have to get used using the analogue stick in my right hand.

Anyway, I'm hoping that they'll let people select what hand they use (which, knowing Nintendo, they probably will). But what effect will it have on the game? Will my Wii Zelda be different to most peoples? (as in, its un-mirrored)

Time to pump it up on Wii!

Anyways what difference does it really make for lefties? Will you be holding the wiimote in your left hand and the nunchuck in your right? Wouldn't that be wierd after playing games the right handed way for so many years?

Seems a bit wrong for the whole game to be mirrored; wont that mean the bad guys will all be left handed now? :wtf: And wont Hyrule be backwrads :wtf:?????

Anyways what difference does it really make for lefties? Will you be holding the wiimote in your left hand and the nunchuck in your right? Wouldn't that be wierd after playing games the right handed way for so many years?

I have absolutely no idea. The only thing I can do is give it a go both ways (for every type of game) to see whats best. It would be weird waving a "sword" with my right hand, and it would be weird using an analogue stick with my right hand.

Can I have another left hand?

Why Dabookerman?

2 reasons, cube version is bound to be rare

And i dont whore myself up like the zelda fan i really am.

Hang on, Hang on.

I'm LEFT-HANDED and want the Wii version! I have no-idea what hand i will be using for the Wii-mote, if i use my left-hand for the Wii-mote, will it be more difficult to play or someone? or is it that Link is just right-handed because the majority of people playing it are?

It's fine. As long as left-handed people don't have trouble playing it or something....

i dnt see the fuss behind the right handed/mirror mode i never noticed till i started reading this thread that it was even apparent.

or is it that Link is just right-handed because the majority of people playing it are?

Miyamoto said that was main reason for mirroring game.

Hang on, Hang on.

I'm LEFT-HANDED and want the Wii version! I have no-idea what hand i will be using for the Wii-mote, if i use my left-hand for the Wii-mote, will it be more difficult to play or someone? or is it that Link is just right-handed because the majority of people playing it are?

It's fine. As long as left-handed people don't have trouble playing it or something....

As long as you can swing the wiimote with your right hand you'll be fine.

This is very confusing. Why mirror the game when you can just mirror the Link model?

I really think this is a wrong translation. It makes absolutely no sense at all. It's ridiculous really.

This is very confusing. Why mirror the game when you can just mirror the Link model?

I really think this is a wrong translation. It makes absolutely no sense at all. It's ridiculous really.

They surely are already debugging the game and if they change the Link model there could be some bugs, like maybe moving the sword through a wall and I also think the AI or even some models of the enemies must be altered.

Imagine you can't hit certain enemies because they have the shield exactly where you could hit them if you were left- instead of righthanded.

I dont see he problem with the reversement. (is that a real word? :) )

I mean if you want to play both, then this surely adds to the "difference" with playing both games.

First you've got the controls.

Then it'll add to the challenge of the game, cos you got used to it one way, now you have to do it another, if you play the cube after the Wii version or vice verca.

Seriously does it matter that much that we must argue that the game is now gonna be crap, cos we are gonna play it oh so much differnetly to those who get it for the cube?

Sometimes i am confuzzled buy some people.

They surely are already debugging the game and if they change the Link model there could be some bugs, like maybe moving the sword through a wall and I also think the AI or even some models of the enemies must be altered.

Imagine you can't hit certain enemies because they have the shield exactly where you could hit them if you were left- instead of righthanded.

No, the collision detection is based on the dimensions of the model. The game engine should handle any model within reason in the right way. Reversing the game is a lot more work.

Besides, they wouldn't change the swordplay without thinking it through well. Obviously mirroring isn't the way to do it.

No, the collision detection is based on the dimensions of the model. The game engine should handle any model within reason in the right way. Reversing the game is a lot more work.

Reversing the game is one line of code. e.g. Invert an axis .

So thats why they do it.

But other reasons are...

Changing a character model would require extensive testing in order to see if it still interacts appropriatitely with other characters. Even though it 'should' be ok with an infallible game engine.

Also think of boxing, if link becomes southpaw, the gameplay is different. Link may then have an advantage/disadvantage depending where his sword is and where his enemies weapon/shield is.

e.g.

link = sword left, shield right

enemy = sword right, shield left

My only wonderment is why they don't let you choolse left/right handed and invert the game accordingly. Not so much effort considering the years that have gone into it.

My only wonderment is why they don't let you choolse left/right handed and invert the game accordingly. Not so much effort considering the years that have gone into it.

I was just about to say the same thing.

They would slice out the lefties on one go by not doing this-they should really have the option of inverting it-when the game starts, have the option "Are you left handed or right handed" appear before you get to play.

I don't know if you realise this, but maybe, just maybe the programmers at Nintendo know more than you do, so if they're doing it must have some logic.

Reversing the game is one line of code. e.g. Invert an axis .

So thats why they do it.

But other reasons are...

Changing a character model would require extensive testing in order to see if it still interacts appropriatitely with other characters. Even though it 'should' be ok with an infallible game engine.

Also think of boxing, if link becomes southpaw, the gameplay is different. Link may then have an advantage/disadvantage depending where his sword is and where his enemies weapon/shield is.

e.g.

link = sword left, shield right

enemy = sword right, shield left

exactly, personally I'm against this invert axys stuff in a final version.

Sure, it's perfect for a working concept, or even for a WIP demo to show people how it improves the experience, but in the end, mirrowing all map and leaving it that way is just lazy... I don't think they lack time in two months, to fix that.

They'd need to make slight alterations to all the cutscenes where link uses his hands, with his model being inverted. And I'd personally prefer a uninverted midna model, or a fixed one for the righty edition, since she is not simetrical (in the body texturing and helmet).

As for the enemies... I'd just invert their models too in order to interact just like they should with Link and avoiding to break something in the code...

They would slice out the lefties on one go by not doing this-they should really have the option of inverting it-when the game starts, have the option "Are you left handed or right handed" appear before you get to play.

I'd bet on that option being there though.