N-Europe

Maths help (sats)

Have fun with Speaman's rank... :heh:

Thats a horrible thing (luckly it wasn't needed for my en.science course work.

Also everyone in my pyhics lesson laughed at me today...when I showed them the equation (and sayed I had trouble with it), they got it stright away, but they all do maths A level as well as physics so thats my excuss, I was kicking myself when they expalined how do to it. :(

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im doing mechanics module, retaking the A/S module, didn't really do that good, lol. Got mine in just over a month, got 22 exams from may 16th to june 23rd! Anyone doing Core Maths 3/4? How are you finding it? I think it's quite alright considering i got 95% and 72% in the Jan 2006 papers (mock) of Core 3 and 4

This summer I'm taking M2, S2, C3, C4. Already done S1, M1, C1, C2. Next Jan: S3, M3, FP1, FP2...

C3 and C4 aren't that bad, but I always find pure a lot easier than applied.

whats C1, C2, C3 etc, im away from the system for 2 years and theres new letter ebing introduced, whatever happened to P1-6??? I did D1 and D2 instead of S3 and M3, disrete maths were the easiest modules ever. lots of lines nodes and weightings.

Man, i had to dot he 6-8 papers today, they are hard..

I got a level 8 in Maths, and English. Only a level 7 in science.. :(

I did the best ever in the school and they had high hopes for me at GCSE. They got disappointed.

whats C1, C2, C3 etc, im away from the system for 2 years and theres new letter ebing introduced, whatever happened to P1-6??? I did D1 and D2 instead of S3 and M3, disrete maths were the easiest modules ever. lots of lines nodes and weightings.

They've just changed it (for no real reason).

P1 - P4

have changed to C1 - C4. I think that's about it.

Did you have pure coursework?

They've just changed it (for no real reason).

P1 - P4

have changed to C1 - C4. I think that's about it.

Did you have pure coursework?

Actually, they changed P1-3 to C1-C4. This means you do 2 applied modules instead of 3 in the old a-level.

I was the first year to do it... and it worked out well.

The only difference is that C1 is a non-calc paper (harder or easier depending on perspective) and there is a bit more variety with the integration.. As in you get tested more on a smaller bit of syllabus so you get tested on more of what you (should) have learnt.

D is discreet & decision maths? Is there more than 1 of it now?? It was around my last year when it first came into A levels, course work marking was undefined and new and everyone including teachers were clueless about what earned points and what didn't... lol.

Ok, I didn't really want to create a new thread when there is already one on the same sort of topic. Basically I have a Geophysics exam on Tuesday and I've been doing revision. However I have noticed that many of the past exam questions involve rearranging equations. This is something I completely fail to understand due to avoiding any aspect of maths since GCSE. So I was wondering if any of you maths geniuses could explain in basic terms how to go about equation rearrangment. When I say basic, I mean very basic, pretend you're explaining to a chimpanzee and you're aiming at about the right level.

Ok, I didn't really want to create a new thread when there is already one on the same sort of topic. Basically I have a Geophysics exam on Tuesday and I've been doing revision. However I have noticed that many of the past exam questions involve rearranging equations. This is something I completely fail to understand due to avoiding any aspect of maths since GCSE. So I was wondering if any of you maths geniuses could explain in basic terms how to go about equation rearrangment. When I say basic, I mean very basic, pretend you're explaining to a chimpanzee and you're aiming at about the right level.

I'm not a maths genius, but I'll try and explain.

NB. In all example, I'm rearranging to give y in terms of x i.e. "x=..."

Basically, you always have to do the same action to each side of the equation, so it's still equal. Its hard to explain this generally, so for instance with adding and subtracting:

x+3 = y+7 so subtract 3 from both sides:

x+3-3 = y+7-3

x = y+4

or

x-4 = y-2 so add 4 to both sides

x-4+4 = y-2+4

x = y+2

With multiples:

3x = 9y so divide both sides by 3

(3x)/3 = (9y)/3

x = 3y

With fractions:

x/4 = 2y so multiply both sides by 4

(x/4)*4 = 2y*4

x = 8y

You may have to carry out several of these processes one after the other:

eg. (4+3x)/7 = y

4+3x = 7y (multiply both sides by 7)

3x = 7y-4 (subtract 4 from both sides)

x= (7y-4)/3 (divide both sides by 3)

If this is too simple or complicated, tell me.