NEurope
Nintendork

Second controller as standard..

I strongly argued against Nintendo including 2 controllers with the system a week or so back.

I thought it was a ridiculous move and be unjusitified for all those people who want to play alone.

But I think now the name Wii has two i's and they've explained all this togetherness spiel.

I am starting to come to term with the idea.

Imagine one person has a Wii in their front room... *haze*

D00d: Hey what's that?

Dood: My Wii

D00d: Rad man, you've got 2 controllers.. wanna play?

Dood: Sure D00d

*haze of fun*

In the end, D00d buys a Wii for himself too, it comes with a second controller and hey presto.. just by sharing it with people that come into your house it opens up multiplay and just that 5 minute vs. match of Smash Bros. may be enough to make someone buy it.

Why make people come to the game store to try it out and understand the concept? You've got the greatest freaking marketting tool ever.

Wii in a base set of houses and it spawns with every person who plays it, loves it and buys it. Again and again.

*haze*

And you're back in the room.

My conclusion is Nintendo will add in a second controller despite the cost factor, and it will work in their advantage because everyone in the family will try it.. show their friends and it will spread like wildfire.

Not just tht but what about games that could require 2 controllers... drumming games, a punch out we've all been going on about... these should come too hopefully!

Not just tht but what about games that could require 2 controllers... drumming games, a punch out we've all been going on about... these should come too hopefully!

This is why i think the nun-chuck attachment will have motion sensors like the actual controller, so games which require 2 controls are already dealt with.

But 2 controllers would be cool to be packaged with the system.

I like the theory. :) There does seem to be a good chance of having two controllers as standard now that Nintendo have focused on the social side of gaming.

If it had that, I would definitely drag people over for a game within 5 minutes of buying the console.

so if it came with to Wii-motes then would it come with 2 nunchucks?

Very doubtful in my opinion, some games (or many depending if the Wii comes with 2 FHC's) will be using 2 FHC'S in their games but the games which would require the FHC and the nunchaku wouldnt need a second FHC I dont think because I would say the Analog would be essential in some way for the characters movement in some games (say MP3 for example)

(Edit: Wii-mote? Is that the name of the FHC's? or is this a fan name of some kind? this is new to me)

My conclusion is Nintendo will add in a second controller despite the cost factor, and it will work in their advantage because everyone in the family will try it.. show their friends and it will spread like wildfire.

It's an interesting theory, yes. Recently, in GDC, Iwata said that the Brain Age, before release, was initially distributed to the employees of NCL, so they could bring those copies home and show then to their family and friends. The word of those amazing games started to spread, and now, you can see the result of those words in sales charts.

A similar situation might happen with "Wii". They already said that people must try it to understand it. George Harrison said they were thinking of including a second remote.

And if the logo is any indication, it seems to point to plurality, of people, and controllers. So, it might happen, yes.

Very doubtful in my opinion, some games (or many depending if the Wii comes with 2 FHC's) will be using 2 FHC'S in their games but the games which would require the FHC and the nunchaku wouldnt need a second FHC I dont think because I would say the Analog would be essential in some way for the characters movement in some games (say MP3 for example)

(Edit: Wii-mote? Is that the name of the FHC's? or is this a fan name of some kind? this is new to me)

so that would mean they would sell the nunchuck seperatley?

wii-mote is just fan made slang

so that would mean they would sell the nunchuck seperatley?

wii-mote is just fan made slang

Well if they do happen to sell 2 FHC's then the thought of selling the nunchaku with the console seems unlikely to me, however id love it for a nunchaku and 2 FHC's to be in the box with the Wii, I just doubt it tho.

suppose it might depend on if the're are gyro type things in the Wii-stick (i like that! it is another term for nunchuck right?) might be too expensive in that case

I think it's just supposed to be the remote; BUT if you swing one end round it's kinda like "Wheeeeee!!"...So I guess it could be both.

However I prefer to call the nunchuck the not-so-FHC:heh:

I'm sure the nunchuck will not have the same movement sensors as the FHC. It's probably half the volume of the the FHC and it's an odd shape. Yes I believe 2 FHCs will come with the controller. It's a fact there would be a lot more games made with 2 FHCs in mind if it came with the system. Plus I think the yhe nunchuck will come included too but the shell will have to be bought seperately.

I think that the wii will include 2 wii-motes and two nun-chuks, but I don't think that the nun-chuks will have motion sensors. That would just bump up the cost a lot.

D00d: Hey what's that?

Dood: My Wii

At that point the first guy would have ran away more like:woops:

Sorry,

Seriously, that is a fine good theory and i hope it's true, it would mean not having to buy a second controller on day one seperatly and hopefully each will have the nun-chuck anolgue also.

i don't think it will happen adding a secound control whould add quite a bit of cost to the unit, i whould rather they include 1 controler, 1 nun-chuck, 1 shell for vnc games.

i don't think it will happen adding a secound control whould add quite a bit of cost to the unit, i whould rather they include 1 controler, 1 nun-chuck, 1 shell for vnc games.

i'm inclined to agree with you there.

evan if there cheap to make they still need to make back money from the R&D which was millions.

not sure how much £20 but considering the wavebird was $70(aud) it will be at least arround that mark and if it does have rumble features in both the controler and the nunchku it will need a non standed battery like the ds which adds a bit more cost.

It's hard to balance it really, we know we'll get at least 1 FHC and Nunchaku at launch, the shell will be a relatively cheap and easy to produce accesory because it's just buttons- all the power, chipsets and wireless tech is in the FHC which will slot in. It's not fair to compre it to the WaveBird as technology prices have declined somewhat.

It would be in Nintendo's interest to include the Shell so people take advatage of the back catalogue right away.. but not everyone has the internet. Which would make me lean more towards the shell not being included as standard.

Only about half the population have internet access last I heard.. that would mean Nintendo would be making a lot of people pay for a Shell which they might never use- It's already cheap and not unreasonable to expect people to pay for it on launch.

I think chances are higher that there will be 2 FHC and 1 or 2 Nunchaku in the box.

Putting a shell in the box shows: We're not confident our ideas can work.. this is just a backup.

By coming out with all FHC guns firing they show that this is something radical you've never seen before.

iPod cut out Firewire, Nintendo can cut out classic controllers.

They could come out with a load of packages- it's good business to offer packages and bundles.

The package could cost a lot more because remember we need the sensors aswell, unless all controllers react to one sensor which would be good.

TellyN one sesnsor works for 4 controllers and it doesn't compromise the size of your virtual workspace. Only the physical workspace of having 4 of you fighting on the sofa.