NEurope
Nick

What The Hell?? Nintendo Wii!!??

Uffff, just read all the pages. Now it's my time to comment.

Well I just loved the name. I really do, cause it's a catchy and simple name. This is a true revolution. Nintendo does not only want to change the way you play, but all the industry and I think they did reaaly well with the WII and DS.

Now I can trully say: Viva los videogames. Viva los jogadores. Viva WE. Viva la Revolution. WII.....know it!

Wow there are quite some portuguese members here. Cool.

Seriously, come E3 or launch time no one will care about the name. The truth is, there is no bad publicity and this will give the brand some awareness. So, just stop whining about a name, it's completly unimportant.

I just sent this to IGN Revolution:

Please god, no!

Please god, don't let Nintendo turn out to be a bunch of morons! Explain to them that this name is absolutely horrifying, to any right-thinking person, that had any intention of buying this console; explain to them that other people are not going to be taking the pi$$, because we'll be doing it already; explain to them that just because the sentiment sounds nice, it doesn't make the name acceptable in polite company.

Please god, don't let me have to go into the nearest videogame shop and ask, "Can I have a wee, please?" I don't want to have to explain to the police officer why I have got a black eye, from the guy behind the counter. I don't want to say to my friends, "Come and have a wee in my living room!"

Please god, let someone at Nintendo prove that they have a sense of humour and this is just some huge joke to gain media attention.

Yours, a potentially ex-Nintendo customer.

P.S. I'm an atheist, but I felt strongly enough to invoke god, because I feel there's no other recourse at present.

Some comments from gamespot.com

Game-industry analysts were swift with their responses. "Looks like a good solid name for Nintendo," said an optimistic Michael Gartenberg, vice president and research director of Jupiter Research. "The key is making sure they follow up with a strong launch campaign to evangelize the new brand and help drive the message forward."

Michael Goodman, senior analyst of media and entertainment strategies at The Yankee Group, believes the name change is a mistake. "I thought Revolution had much more meaning," he told GameSpot. "It was an apt description for the console. It was a revolutionary design ... the controller is pretty revolutionary. Wii just doesn’t do it for me. How do we even pronounce this? WEEE? I'm not sure this is technically a word. What is a WEE, W-I-I? You're building everything from scratch in terms of awareness and in terms of building a brand. Verses Xbox 360--you're taking the core Xbox brand and leveraging it to a new product. With PlayStation 3, it still has all those great attributes of the PlayStation."

Wedbush Morgan Securities' Michael Pachter was more mixed in his assessment. "My initial reaction, of course, is that the name is dumb," he bluntly stated. "However, upon reflection, I thought that the name Game Boy was dumb, REALLY thought that the name Xbox was dumb, and can't even recall my reaction to PlayStation. Let's face it, devices with cool names like Dreamcast and Gizmondo fail, and the lame names seem to do well."

Colin Sebastian, Lazard Capital Markets' senior research analyst for Internet and interactive entertainment, displayed Vulcan-like logic responding to the Wii revelation. "The success of the console will have much more to do with the quality of the games and the gameplay," he said. "Nintendo probably believes they've found a name that can stick with consumers. Revolution was catchy, but given similarities with the Xbox 360 name, perhaps Nintendo felt they had to make a change."

WHY NINTENDO WHY??

Wii is such a stupid name, sure it may assist with marketing and may perhaps draw in gamers that don't speak English, but once again they are further strengthening their "kid image"

You've heard to death the piss associations, so I am not going to repeat those, but what do some kids say when they are having fun on a slide for a example.

WEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [Wiiiiiiiiiii!!!!!!!!!!]

The hole reserved for Nintendos grave just got wider, it's suicide basically one could think, its setting itself up for failure, but we'll just have to wait to see how it pans out.

I hate the name, and probably will never like it, NO WAY I AM saying WII in a store, I'll probably just say "i'll have this thanks"

So, in short, like the console, hate the name.

I just sent this to IGN Revolution:

Please god, no!

Please god, don't let Nintendo turn out to be a bunch of morons! Explain to them that this name is absolutely horrifying, to any right-thinking person, that had any intention of buying this console; explain to them that other people are not going to be taking the pi$$, because we'll be doing it already; explain to them that just because the sentiment sounds nice, it doesn't make the name acceptable in polite company.

Please god, don't let me have to go into the nearest videogame shop and ask, "Can I have a wee, please?" I don't want to have to explain to the police officer why I have got a black eye, from the guy behind the counter. I don't want to say to my friends, "Come and have a wee in my living room!"

Please god, let someone at Nintendo prove that they have a sense of humour and this is just some huge joke to gain media attention.

Yours, a potentially ex-Nintendo customer.

P.S. I'm an atheist, but I felt strongly enough to invoke god, because I feel there's no other recourse at present.

OMG are you actually being serious!? You won't buy the system because of it's name. I'm now soooo tempted to resort to sweary name calling but I won't. All I will say is I feel quite sorry for your one brain cell, as it must get very lonely.

Please stop stop being so small minded.

geez yenrug. Hou can you change your likes with a name? Nintendo is changing, we all know that, now it's not the name, but all the idea around this that you probably don't like. well I'll buy my wii with a smile :)

PS: boas a todos os novos tugas! Greetings to the new members (See? With a special name even the forum gained new members...

Im starting to warm up to the name now... I just gotta block out "urinate" and think more along the lines of "we" then it seems alot better

At least its better than naming it "Nintendo Blue light box" (is referring to the Xbox, with it being a box, and a giant letter X on top)

Been asking around a bit, seems mainly people who have a problem with the name have english as their native tongue.

"I say Revolution, you say Xbox 360"!

wait....

360 degrees is a revolution, you know a full circle

Thats what they mean

Do not... underestimate... the marketing people... of Nintendo...

Backlash continues on Wii name, Nintendo the Genius?

Not only are many Nintendo fans bashing the “Wii†name or Xbox 360/PS3 fans finding it hilarious but even editors of major gaming magazines and websites are either calling it the worst console name ever or are on a rampage over the name, even after praising Revolution as the next-big thing.

But as the backlash may continue for days to come, so has the media awaken with this uproar. Already you have even the smallest television networks to the big media corporations speaking about the new name. But what are the media usually attracted to most?

Recall the reaction of hardcore fans of the Star Wars movie series when Lucasfilms announced that the second episode was named “The Clone Wars� Or how about when hardcore fans reacted over things like “organic webs†in the Spider-Man film? How did the media react at the same time?

If you get the point then you would understand. Maybe the 360 name didn’t make an impact as lets say “The Clone Wars†name did but even many hardcore fans felt angry over the name. But a name like Wii and the huge backlash we are seeing, this means that Nintendo has made the call, and is ready for a full house at E3.

This is exactly what Nintendo wants, they want the backlash because this builds huge media attention, especially before E3. Already we saw a report on CNN Money where they directly contacted Nintendo about the new name. With all this media attention and with new announcement of games already being made almost on a daily basis Nintendo is risking it all for E3, the event that could either make or break them. There is no in-between.

Taken from codenamerevolution.com

its just when they were coming up with it you would have thought someone would have pointed out the conations(bad spelling?)

It is starting to grow on me...a bit. It will take time, I didn't like DS at first either after all.

Just got a newsletter from game...

Welcome to the GAME Update,

In the last couple of hours (at time of writing), we have received the news that Nintendo's next console - known as "Revolution" until now - has been officially named "Wii". Pronounced "We". Or as some have suggested, "Wee".

Whatever. We actually think it's OK - we haven't forgotten how moronic "PlayStation" sounded when we first heard it. What matters are the games, and we will know more about those in the coming weeks. Stay tuned![/Quote]

At least Nintendo are making headlines - I think this may just prove a good marketing move in terms of getting peoples attention, if they can really grab them with the games at E3 and make sure it gets great coverage then this could just work out for them. After all its got everyones attention.

HMV: Hi, HMV how may I help you?

Caller: Hi yes erm...I'd Like to reserve Super Mario's Wii"

HMV: "...Super...Mario's...wee?"

Caller: "Yes"

HMV: *hangs up*

Yenrug, I didn't picture you like that at all. I mean, that's so freaking small minded. Stop and think about it OK?

Get over it cock fags; just a name, don't have to get so up in arms about it.

A name will not change how you play a console. A name will not change the quality of games available for a console.....adapt or die.

I never thoght I'd agree with masaki, but he's right.

I respect you more now because you too use the expression cockfag.

1. How about we...e-mail Nintendo

2. OKAY WHY THE HELL IS NINTENDO SO DIFFERENT THEN MICROSEX AND PS@ WHY CAN"T THEY JUST MAKE SHOOTERS AND ONLINE PLAYYYY

AND GOODIES WITH FUN

ITS ALL NINTENDO"S FAULT THEY MADE N64 AND THAT TRICKED US INTO BUYING MORE

FUUUUUCH NINTENDO

You know at first I didnt know what to think, but after saying the name over and over in my head, its beginning to grow on me. I mean it is really unlike anything Nintendo has done before and it will take some getting use to for sure, just give it a chance.

A name will not change how you play a console. A name will not change the quality of games available for a console.....adapt or die.

No, but it will change the number of people who buy the console. Nintendo fans will buy it whatever they call it, but a name like Wii isn't going to attract new gamers, or woo PS2 or Xbox fans over to Nintendo's corner.

And for those people saying, 'I'm sure we'll get used to it in a few days', why should we have to get used to it at all? People who don't really know much about gaming aren't going to spend 'a few days' getting used to the name - they'll just reject it. It's not just 'a silly name' like iPod and Google - it's a name that means something else, that people are obviously going to get turned off by.

I wish I knew what the Nintendo execs who have been defending the name really think about it... Their interviews have basically been saying 'we know you won't like it straight away', and are avoiding the whole 'wee' issue altogether.

I think people need to calm down, take a step back and think on the long term whether they will like it.

I was a bit laughing when I heard what it was going to be called on the Radio, but have to admit the more I read it the more it grows on me. I think I have already changed my mind that it is a better name than Revolution.

Just in terms of worldwide marketing, it is far better. The letters look good together, and goes well with the new slick, clean image of the hardware. It will definitely grow on people, i know people initially think wee, and it will be laughable, but I agree with Perrin Kaplin in that it will become a very likeable name such as Google, Yahoo, Ipod etc.

And btw, WII has much more meaning behind it than XBox or Playstation, so shut that argument.

Fact is, it's not a word at all, but a combination of letters that make something new, and everybody will know what it is someday.

I like the look of the name, and the sound now.

No, but it will change the number of people who buy the console. Nintendo fans will buy it whatever they call it, but a name like Wii isn't going to attract new gamers, or woo PS2 or Xbox fans over to Nintendo's corner.

PLEASE DELETE WHEN APPROPRIATE:

I bought a PS2/Gamecube/Xbox/DS/PSP because of the: game selection/technological wizardry/awesome visuals/online modes/name.

I never thoght I'd agree with masaki, but he's right.

I respect you more now because you too use the expression cockfag.

hehe; cool.

ITS PROLLY SUCH A COOL NAME TO THE JAPANESE PEOPLE

BUT TO ENGLISH SPEAKERS IT"S PURE EVIL

AJSUSUSUSSUS KILL NINTENDO

ITS PROLLY SUCH A COOL NAME TO THE JAPANESE PEOPLE

BUT TO ENGLISH SPEAKERS IT"S PURE EVIL

AJSUSUSUSSUS KILL NINTENDO AND THEY WONDER WHY

OO AND WII DOESNT MEAN ANYTHING, WELL ACTUALLY ITS JUST ROMAN ENGLISH THAT JAPANESE PEOPLE USE AND IF YOU WANNA SAY WE THEY SAY WII

AHHHHHHHHH I HOPE 8739-52782372357237 PEOPLE PROTEST

Yenrug mate, I think you very quickly went down in a lot of peoples estimations with one of the most moronic posts in a while, won't buy one because of a name? Oh dear.... the debate isnt whether gamers would buy the machine, its that the name would put the 'masses' and anti-nintendo people off. I can't believe it would put anyone of us off!!

And you quote:

I don't want to say to my friends, "Come and have a wee in my living room!"

This infuriates me and theres loads of them going about, these potential embarssing scenarious. Mate, do you now say yo your mates: "Come and have a gamecube in my living room."? No! So why would you be forced to saying "Come have a wee in my living room"?

And also, this is a brand. It is very different to a usual game console naming, we must realise this - there will be no Mario Wii, or Mario Kart Wii, or Smash Bros. Wii. I think the game/console monikering will go for Nintendos next console.

This name WILL cause problems in UK and poss USA and Oz, but hopefully it won't be too damaging and that Wii becomes everything we believed the Revolution would be.

Question; You bought/didn't buy a PS2/Xbox/Gamecube because of the name?

It's obvious that the name Wii and its pronunciation are not in the same league as PS2/Xbox/Gamecube. Those three consoles don't have names that mean 'urine'. Can't you understand that there may just be people who don't want a console with that name? Children who don't want to be made fun of in the playground for having the console with the name that sounds like 'wee'? And how many children (who, let's face it, are an important part of the games market) aren't going to look past the name? Quite a few, I'd imagine.

I'll be getting the console whatever it's called - all I'm saying is that there are a lot of people who aren't going to get it just because of the name. Sure, you can say, 'That's their problem', but at the end of the day, if people don't buy it, it's Nintendo's problem.