N-Europe

IGN Revo's latest podcast

James McGeachie

IGN have updated with their weekly Revolution podcast thing with Matt Casamassina and Mark Bozon which you can find here http://revolution.ign.com/articles/702/702744p1.html

There's not a whole lot new or anything but I point this out because it's brought up something very scary. Matt says that a good deal of developers they've seen are porting over current gen titles to Revolution and adding in rev control as an after thought, like with DBZ Budokai Tenkaichi 2. I know it was inevitable this was going to happen when it was announced it was just above Xbox level, but the big problem is it seems like there's a good deal more of this than there is original games developed ground up for Revolution. In fact, there's a good deal of hints that Red Steel will be the biggest third party game at E3 and the rest of the third party stuff will mainly be horseshit or tech demos and that we'll have to look to Nintendo for most of the good stuff.

I have to say I really hoping I'm just over reacting on this just now because it definitely doesn't sound good to me. I'd felt kind of confident about Revolution because it seemed like they already had a lot of third party support, but if third party support for the most part = ports of PS2 games then that could end up being worse for them than having no third party support....I mean imagine if the Gamecube had tons of direct ports of ps1 games on it, it would've probably sold even worse.

lets not forget that ALL systems get their fair share of crap including the 360 which had quite a few souped-up Xbox games for launch. These types of games typically dont sell on Nintendo consoles, which is good in theory but then ironically, the 3rd parties that shovel crap onto the system complain that it doesnt sell.

Most everyone should know the drill by now and which publishers to be wary of come launch time

(prove me wrong THQ, Midway, Activision, EA!)

If they port good PS2 game's which is likely exclusives then it will be great because it will sell more on the Revolution than the PS2 because of the extra's and it will help gain a 'reputation' .If the Revo control uses the DBZ game very well then a lot more people will buy a rev for it ,just like any other game.Huge potential here I think.

The PSP and Revolution could probably profit from eachother's existance - the coming three years they'll be the only ones in their power category and therefore could have crossplatform technology and ports in general (which are not automatically bad).

Ironic isn't it?

Like some said, 360 is also home to a lot of ports. I don't really see a relation to the pst as psp is the most powerful of its market and revo the least. I see what you're saying because both can have ports from current gen machines, but while PSP needs some serious downgrading, Revo needs upgrading and controller capabilities, so things aren't that black and white.

Most of my games are Japanese, so I dont really care anyway.

I don;t see it as a huge problem. Obviously, Red Steel is one high profile third party title, with Raid Over the River being another. There is alot of buzz over the Revolution. Worst case scenario - 14/20 of the launch titles are remodelled GC titles - 6/20 are going to be first party from Nintendo and will fully utilise the Baton Controller. Can you really afford a Rev and more than 6 games in the launch period?

PSP is as good as PS2 but GC can do better graphics and Rev is 3 times more powerfull which mean's better graphic's than the GC.
PSP is nowhere as good as PS2 mind you... it just appears that way because it does more effects on hardware (where PS2 did them from ground), has smaller screen, lower resolution... so you don't see the bad graphics... PSP is probably not more powerfull than Dreamcast Specs... that is 3 million polygons (although DC pushed 5 million and I doubt PSP can push those).

realistically... PSP has about half the power PS2 has, while you'll never see PS2 doing bump mapping without much hit... you'll never see a PSP doing 10 million polygons per second on VF4.

PSP is as good as PS2 but GC can do better graphics and Rev is 3 times more powerfull which mean's better graphic's than the GC.

2 times, careful with that because there's a big difference between 2 and 3 times. It's not above 2 times either, they've said they think they can get around 2 times the power of GC out of Revolution.

The Perrin Kaplan "2-3 times more powerful" comment is a bit outdated.