NEurope
KKOB

Doctor Who

Metro also posted this before it was pulled, embargo and all

The wait is almost over for Doctor Who fans, as the identity of the next actor to play the Doctor is to be revealed in a special one-off Doctor Who Live broadcast on BBC One this Sunday August 4 at 7pm.

In front of a live studio audience, host Zoe Ball will unveil and interview the 12th person to play the Time Lord, one of the most coveted roles in British television.

The half hour programme will feature Doctors old and new, companions, special guests and celebrity fans, all taking place against the backdrop of a swirling vortex with Daleks and the TARDIS stationed in the studio.

Earlier in the week the BBC disguised the show in the TV listings, scheduling a fake ‘Celebrity Mastermind’ in the 7.30pm-8pm slot.

Doctor Who Live: The Next Doctor will end months of speculation over who will be taking over from Matt Smith, with Peter Capaldi, Ben Daniels, Ben Whishaw and David Harewood having all been linked with the role, though an unknown actor is perhaps far more likely.

Executive producer Steven Moffat said : ‘The decision is made and the time has come to reveal who’s taking over the TARDIS. For the last of the Time Lords, the clock is striking twelve.’

Moffat and Smith will both give interviews during the show, commenting on the role and what they believe it takes to play the Doctor.

Fans in America will be able to watch the unveiling live via simulcast on BBC America.

Charlotte Moore, Controller BBC One said : ‘BBC One is the home of big live events and this special live show is the perfect way to reveal the identity of the next Doctor and share it with the nation. The Doctor is a truly iconic role and I’m more than excited about the booking.’

Ben Stephenson, Controller of BBC Drama Commissioning meanwhile, revealed how they have been using the codename Houdini for the actor.

He said: ‘We can’t wait to unveil the next Doctor with everyone live on BBC1 on Sunday night. Amongst all the speculation and betting, there has been lots of fun and intrigue at work as we’ve been using the codename Houdini as a decoy! It’s the biggest secret in showbiz, even those working with the new Doctor on other projects at the moment have no idea they are in the presence of the 12th incarnation.’

Rory Kinnear had also been tipped as a possible Doctor, but after insisting that he won’t be joining the show his denial was compounded by his signing up to ITV drama Lucan, which films at the same time.

Don't forget, the 12th Doctor reveal is on BBC at 7pm today.

People still believe it's Peter Capaldi

I still believe it's me. I'm a young white male so statistically speaking, I have a fairly good shot.

My bet is Nolan North.

((though if it's Capaldi it would reignite my interest in the show ))

Part of me wants it to be Anthony Head.

Really, as this is a live event, it's more likely to be an established actor otherwise the audience will be wondering "who the hell is this?" but if it's someone big who is well known like Anthony Head, Peter Capaldi, Hugh Laurie etc., then it'll be worth it.

I'd be happy with any of those three if they choose to go for an older Doctor

I think it'll be Aneurin Barnard.

Bleeding Cool suddenly think it's him, too

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2013/08/04/hes-male-but-is-he-welsh-aneurin-barnard-doctor-wh/

Edited by Serebii
Automerged Doublepost

Part of me wants it to be Anthony Head.

Really, as this is a live event, it's more likely to be an established actor otherwise the audience will be wondering "who the hell is this?" but if it's someone big who is well known like Anthony Head, Peter Capaldi, Hugh Laurie etc., then it'll be worth it.

I'd be happy with any of those three if they choose to go for an older Doctor

I've been thinking either of the last two Doctors or Anthony Head! I said to my mate that I think it should be Anthony Head even if he was in an episode as that Gargoyle Headmaster.

I'm hoping it's him! I must say though, I am a little gutted that Smith is leaving, I thought he did a smashing job. I'm not as gutted as I was when Tennant left but gutted nonetheless.

It doesn't have to be an established actor just because it's live... with a half an hour programme you'll have time to get to know the person.

But IMO it has to be an older Doctor this time in order to give the series a shake up. I think if Matt Smith had even had an older companion it would have helped things, but as he hasn't it's all felt a bit 'teenie' lately, with a lot of young main characters.

It doesn't have to be an established actor just because it's live... with a half an hour programme you'll have time to get to know the person.

But IMO it has to be an older Doctor this time in order to give the series a shake up. I think if Matt Smith had even had an older companion it would have helped things, but as he hasn't it's all felt a bit 'teenie' lately, with a lot of young main characters.

Yeah, but with Karen Gillan and Jenna Coleman, who is actually complaining? :p

Well you can keep Karen, but I get your point :p

But yeah exactly, it's fine keeping Jenna around, but now it's time for an older character in the show to bring a different dynamic. Although some people didn't like Donna (or maybe just Catherine Tate), it was still good choice to bring in an older companion after Rose and Martha, otherwise that could have started to get a bit 'meh' too.

Well you can keep Karen, but I get your point :p

But yeah exactly, it's fine keeping Jenna around, but now it's time for an older character in the show to bring a different dynamic. Although some people didn't like Donna (or maybe just Catherine Tate), it was still good choice to bring in an older companion after Rose and Martha, otherwise that could have started to get a bit 'meh' too.

I loved Donna! Donna and Rose were my favourite companions followed by Amy and Rory, then Jenna and way down on to last, Martha.

It's Peter Capaldi

Great actor, bit concerned that he's already appeared in the franchise twice, in the latter shooting his family and then him, but he's great

Hmm... I googled this guy after hearing the rumours (I actually haven't seen him in anything I don't think, despite recognising him)... and didn't think he was a good fit. Looks too evil/miserable :p

But there we go.

He'll bring something different, but whether I'll like it we'll see.

Definitely worth watching In The Loop & Thick of It if you're not familiar with him. Great choice. Interest in Doctor Who restored :)

Hmm... I googled this guy after hearing the rumours (I actually haven't seen him in anything I don't think, despite recognising him)... and didn't think he was a good fit. Looks too evil/miserable :p

But there we go.

He'll bring something different, but whether I'll like it we'll see.

He looks like a sinister Bowie.

Think of all those kids youtubeing him right now and all those swearing clips :D lol.

F....ing daleks

That bbc program Matt looks a bit messed up?

Think of all those kids youtubeing him right now and all those swearing clips :D lol.

F....ing daleks

That bbc program Matt looks a bit messed up?

He seemed so depressed in that interview. I wonder if he's starting to think he has made a mistake

Introduction video

He seemed so depressed in that interview. I wonder if he's starting to think he has made a mistake

He was so good in it this year too. The episodes with him and Jenna Coleman were dynamite.

He was so good in it this year too. The episodes with him and Jenna Coleman were dynamite.

Agreed. I was hoping he'd be the Tom Baker of this era. The fantastic Doctor who actually stays more than 3 years.

That's the reason Tom Baker is so iconic with the role, he stayed for years

Edited by Serebii