Playstation Discussion Archive

CooInTheZoo

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big WTF!

New FFXIII Info.

Last week, Japanese magazine Famitsu posted an interview with the three directors of the Final Fantasy XIII Fabula Nova Crystalis trilogy. Having looked it over, we've gleaned some tidbits from the section with Motomu Toriyama, who is currently working on Final Fantasy XIII as well as FFXII: Revenant Wings.

Crystals have always been standard fare in Final Fantasy, but in XIII they aren't just stones. Some of them are benevolent life-bringing...creatures, one might say, while others are more sinister. The game world is a binary one in which humanity wouldn't survive save for the good crystals. "[They] think about what sort of environment would be appropriate for [humans] and create that space, which is a Cocoon," elaborated Toriyama. Outside that safe haven is Pulse, where monsters roam and bad crystals make trouble. Anyone under the influence of an "alien substance" created in Pulse (which have a name that is still under wraps) is shipped out to a quarantine.

Our heroine is still rather mysterious. She calls herself Lightening, but keeps her real name secret. Toriyama didn't want to give much away, saying only, "Why she doesn't tell her real name will be revealed in the plot."

As we've heard before, the battle system is going to be a bit different than fans are used to. Not only will the battles be seamless, but Toriyama stated that, "since it's on the Playstation 3 we've got our eye on new presentation. The foundation is based on active-time battles, but the waiting time until you choose a command is gone for the most part. The image we presented to the public -- rushing into a real time battle with that kind of force -- we want to continue that overflowing feeling of tension that RPGs up to now haven't had."

The most surprising innovation, however, is that summons are now going to be part mecha and play an expanded role of more than just battle support. "The treatment of summons beasts has changed quite a bit," Toriyama revealed, "The fact that the players can summon will not change, but what happens after that will be something totally different." The example they discussed was Shiva, who can transform into a motorcycle. Toriyama hinted that he thinks "it might be the case" that you can ride it during a fight. Whoa.

Image 1.

Image 2.

Image 3.

Image 4.

The Guardian, wrote an article outlining Sony's 'digital' strategy for marketing their UK launch.

Sony is looking beyond traditional advertising to user-generated content to help maximise sales of its PlayStation 3 console

Sony's long awaited multimedia games console, PlayStation 3, finally goes on sale in Britain next month. The delay has given the media giant plenty of time to devise a marketing strategy - and it is clear that Sony intend to take full advantage of opportunities presented by the explosion of social networking sites and other digital outlets.

It has identified 12 individuals and organisations - ranging from club promoters to artists, fashion industry insiders, Dazed & Confused magazine and even the BBC's 1Xtra - and given them a free hand to create original content inspired by key characteristics of the PS3. Each will then distribute content digitally across a wide range of outlets including their own contacts and fanbases, social networks such as MySpace and Bebo, websites, blogs, and by email.

According to Alan Duncan, marketing director for Sony Computer Entertainment UK, the strategy has been driven by a belief that traditional advertising and PR would be unable to adequately communicate the PS3's appeal. [Mmmnote: OR since the conventional press is shitting on you so much, just cut out the middle man]

"The idea is to use physical space, blogs, and other forms of digital networking to inform, entertain, and encourage interaction and debate about all the different things the PS3 can do," he says. The aim is to reach potential PS3 buyers who, Sony believes, are not just hardcore game enthusiasts but anyone interested in the arts, culture, digital media and content creation.

The campaign has already evolved through a number of stages. Last October Sony Europe approached digital content and research agency Ramp Industry to set up a semi-official PS3 blog called Three Speech. Sony has no editorial control over this but uses it to interact with potential PS3 buyers.

Then in December Sony opened a branded venue in London's East End called Three Space where it runs product briefings and demonstrations by day and a diverse array of live entertainment events by night. Many of the latter have been conceived by its 12 independent content and distribution partners, the first of which - a PS3 inspired fashion shoot styled and staged by multimedia art, design and fashion magazine KCTV - took place earlier this month.

Audiences for these events include journalists, art, design and fashion industry insiders and ordinary consumers, all carefully selected for their interest in capturing, recording and distributing their experiences digitally.

In contrast, Dazed & Confused is using Three Space to showcase its recently launched Dazed Digital online multimedia site and create new content - it is staging an event at the venue on February 8 which will include an informal studio session with three live bands.

"Obviously the venue is branded but PlayStation has not insisted on any particular prominence for their name or dictated what sort of content we create," Dazed & Confused editor in chief Nicki Bidder says. "It's a two way thing - we're using their platform to promote our product, they're using ours to promote theirs."

User generated content (UGC) also features in the Sony strategy. Another of its creative partners, fashion and style publisher and consultancy Marmalade, is launching the first user generated magazine in partnership with MySpace.

The aim of all of this is to create a "digital echo" or ripple effect, according to Rana Reeves, a director of brand consultancy Shine Communications which developed the digital strategy with Sony.

"We set out to find the Lily Allens of the arts, design, and fashion worlds - people already out there effectively self promoting themselves through blogs, social networking sites, websites, and virally," he explains. "Traditionally, brand communication with consumers has been channelled via an ad agency. The explosion of social networks and blogging, however, has created a seismic shift. Brands wanting to enter this world have to be prepared to trust consumers to talk about them whether the comment is good or bad."

Sony wants PlayStation to be seen as an enabler and a platform for creative talent. And the dozen creative partners producing what Sony is calling "cultural content" to promote PlayStation had few qualms about effectively co-creating a brand marketing campaign.

"We've been transparent throughout that at the end of the day this is about shifting units," Reeves adds. "But people have been happy to work with us to create content that will publicise the product because, as well as covering costs, PlayStation is providing them with a platform for their creativity in return."

www.mcvuk.com

Just got my ps3 and its making a funny noise ?

Like the fan or something is ticking ?

Im just using a normal converter so that US plugs can work in the UK, Could that be the problem caus I need a propper converter or is it fucked ?

How's your PS3 now?

I hope the clicking is not the disk drive, there's been a few issues with broken disk drives.

At least it's not doing this...

Growing signs of weaker demand for Sony's new Playstation 3 video game system may be impacting some of its design partners, a new report indicates, with graphics system provider Nvidia (NASDAQ: NVDA), feeling Wall-Street heat today.

A series of reports last week pointed to longer than expected shelf-time for Sony's Playstation 3 video-game console, as well growing inventories across the country, raising concern about possible slower demand for the new system.

Santa-Clara Calif.-based Nvidia, which provides the technology behind the system's advanced graphics and special effects, may take a hit as a result of the slowdown.

"Sony royalties garnered by Nvidia from the PS3 build are expected to be the primary driver of Nvidia’s gross-margin expansion in fiscal 2008," Michael McConnell, semiconductor analysts of Pacific Crest said.

"Although poor manufacturing yields on Blu-Ray diodes were the initial cause of PS3 unit constraints at retailers, we have seen evidence of weaker-than-expected consumer demand as availability has improved, likely stemming form overly high prices at retailers and a lack of compelling game titles."

While the report did not speculate on the number of units that would be sold, a component "tear-down" performed by market researcher iSuppli last month showed that Nvidia would receive $129.00 for every Playstation 3 sold.

The analyst lowered his price target for Nvidia to $33 from $45, and predicted earnings of $1.67 a share for the year, instead of $1.77 previously indicated.

Shares of Nvidia closed down $1.29, or 4.10 percent, to $30.18 in Monday trading on the Nasdaq Stock Exchange.

www.ibtimes.com

The main reason I want PS3 is quite ridiculous really.

I've always wanted all the playstation final fantasys a hell of a lot, as well as other PS2 games like Kingdom Hearts, but never bought a PS2, and although I could quite easily get one now cheaply etc. i'd rather just get a PS3 instead really. This is because, well firstly I might as well, and also because of games like FF XIII that i'll inevitably want. As well as generally hating Sony etc. there are two main things holding me back from getting a PS3. The price of course, and also, well i'm thinking about the next few years, i'll be going to uni at the end of next year and don't know if it'll be necessary to have all 3, as well as having enough space for them all. Any uni people shed me any light on this?

The main reason I want PS3 is quite ridiculous really.

I've always wanted all the playstation final fantasys a hell of a lot, as well as other PS2 games like Kingdom Hearts, but never bought a PS2, and although I could quite easily get one now cheaply etc. i'd rather just get a PS3 instead really. This is because, well firstly I might as well, and also because of games like FF XIII that i'll inevitably want. As well as generally hating Sony etc. there are two main things holding me back from getting a PS3. The price of course, and also, well i'm thinking about the next few years, i'll be going to uni at the end of next year and don't know if it'll be necessary to have all 3, as well as having enough space for them all. Any uni people shed me any light on this?

I really want a PS3 as well, but I'll feel so greedy if I get one. The fact that I got an Xbox 360 in August and a Wii in December makes me feel bad enough, even though I've worked and earned my money.

My other concerns are also space, my room is tiny, a slight lack of games, most of the ones I want are on Xbox 360, and the biggest one of all, I am the most fickle person EVER. Seriously I change my mind at the drop of a hat, and I'm kinda feeling like I just want to own the latest shiny thing. Will I buy this and just think, meh, I should have waited?

Saying all this, I do think I'll want one eventually, as I have enjoyed having access to all the latest games I've wanted recently since finally going 'multiplatform'. And I don't expect a price drop any time soon.

I might force myself to wait for once.

Hazy and Dom what are your online ID's?

At the moment - haze78

But I'll change it when the european servers are turned on. Anyone else with a PS3 and online add me if you like.

PS3's arnt no ware near as bad as people have made them out to be.

I know, I really am surprised by how much I like the PS3. It just feels right, and you can tell when you're playing games like Resistance it's not even breaking a sweat it just runs so smooth.

Domstercool2 is mine at the moment. Obviously once the european stuff is released i will be Domstercool. Damn it for not letting me use my european account just yet.

Enjoying the system, it's really is nice and so far it has yet to have any problems, no crashes and freezes or anything. I guess it seems more reliable than a 360 for the time being.

1-up Mushroom

Support N-Europe!

Get rid of advertisements and help cover hosting costs on N-Europe

Become a member!