N-Europe

Turning your TV into a Window

Migraine

I've had this idea for a while and ive just decided to chuck together some diagrams which help explain it so i can share it with y'all. It is regarding the common belief that the revolution will, in some unknown way, change the way games are currently displayed.

figa.jpg

Fig.A shows the viewer (1), the TV or Monitor (2), an object being viewed by the viewer (3) and another object which is out of view, but still exists in-game (4).

In order to look at object 4, the viewer currently has to turn his character or camera's viewpoint using an analogue stick, or D-pad, say. If he leans or moves to the side in real life, he still sees the same image as would be seen sitting directly in front of the TV (As in Fig.B). Object 4 is still out of view.

figb.jpg

This is a perfect example of how games are visually confined to the TV, and destroys the illusion of the 3D world trapped inside the telly. So what if this changed?

figc.jpg

What if, as shown in Fig.C, the in-game viewpoint changed depending on the position the viewer is viewing from? Basically, it would be like looking out of a window, rather than the usual static viewpoint we have at the moment that takes a 3D world and flattens it out onto a 2D screen.

This could be done really easily by using some kind of head tracking device like a small earpiece or having something built into a headset or earphones. It'd detect the position of your head much like it does the revmote.

So... whadayathink?

Nice to see someone think outside of the box on the whole 3rd secret issue, and this is actually very cool.

The problem is that it is actually a window as you say. The entire viewpoint is based on a pivot, but one that will only enable you to rotate up to 180 degrees. Implemntation of the idea would not only be pointless, but problematic. Sorry to be so mean.

Anyway, nice to not hear another fanboy raving on about stereoscopic 3D.

The eyes are funny. lol

But, yeah you never know. But how would it be displayed on generic tvs?

well most tv's could run this idea because the image on the screen changes by what position the controler is, so it would be the same as if you where to use a anologe to change to positon of the in-game camera.

I really like this idea maybe not as the next "major inovation" but as somthing that could be in a single game, im sure luigis manson would rock with a set-up like this.

Well thats kinda like the 2 way television that I heard about, 2 people can watch totally different things on TV if they look at the TV from different angles (weird eh?).

Not sure if that TV was real or a joke, but it sounds like a joke..

I posted it some months ago. IT's real. I can find a source if you want.

I like the idea in a way, but not in another way.

I find sometimes when im playing games (css is a prime example) i lean over to try and look round the corner.

But with this, multiplayer will be pretty much ruled out, it would be VERY complicated if you had splitscreen to make it so that player 1 looks down or right and doesn't see the other player's screen.

well most tv's could run this idea because the image on the screen changes by what position the controler is, so it would be the same as if you where to use a anologe to change to positon of the in-game camera.

I really like this idea maybe not as the next "major inovation" but as somthing that could be in a single game, im sure luigis manson would rock with a set-up like this.

Ohhh. Sorry, I meant when its multiplayer. How do you get around it then?

In single player it would be pretty sweet.