N-Europe

SD Cards? Or USB hdd?

ultrajamie

couple of quick Q's as i have been offered some SD cards cheap...

revolution uses SD cards doesn;t it?

also, iwata stated at GDC that you can plug almost any usb storage in to the 2 usb ports on the back... would it be better to get some kind of usb-based mass storage device?

any advantage to either way? i think using plug in SD cards (under the flap on 'top' / side) will be neater.... the rev is too beautiful to have nasty wires and plug in boxes.

Don't buy anything for a system that isn't out yet.. remember all those twazzoks who bought £50 games and then didn't get a 360 on launch despite their pre-order.. and had £200 worth of games and accesories for 2 months.. unlucky!

1st of all we don't know how big saves are going to be.. they should be relatively small, I mean any software engineer can make a game save small, even a few Kbs.. if they use .xml technology for saves it'd be even smaller (though hackable)

I think the GameCube memory cards will be used to save games.. they're relatively cheap and will store plenty of game saves all at once.

For downloaded content we don't know how big the roms will be- and we certainly don't know whether we will be able to afford as many as we desire.

I think you're thinking rather prematurely, I will probably use one of the USB flash dongles to compliment the on board 512mb.. ideally I would juggle between a GameCube card and the onboard memory for all of the games.

My suspicion is that they will not make the technolgy backwards compatible like they did when they upgraded to the PS2 memory cards.

GameCube memory cards will only work with GameCube games, and this makes it easy for people to upgrade from GameCube to Revolution smoothly.

The 512mb on board will be for Revolution saves, but also for developpers as a slow bandwidth ram. this means gamers can have the HD experience of auto saves that xbox owners have become accustomed to, but without the hard disc.

Then the SD cards and perhspas USB slots will be used for downloadable content, because if Nintendo wants to make the 512mb available for developpers in certain situations it shouldn't really be full all the time.. game saves would only take several megs if well engineered.

If Nintendo is serious about offering developpers access to the 512mb slow ram then they don't want it filled up with N64 games, for instance games like blinx the time detective was the first game to use the hard drive to go back in time and stuff, it was quite awesome and wouldn't have been possible without that extra space.

I think they'll include generic drivers for USB storage, they'd be fools not to because they are cheap and can go on the PC/Mac

yeah sd cards are defintly in there so it should be safe to buy those, however it's very possible that the revolution may want to format the card to work with the console. hopfully it's true that usb drives do work, i have few 200gig external drives and a few thumb drives that whould be perfect for downloading games, saves ect on.

yeah sd cards are defintly in there so it should be safe to buy those, however it's very possible that the revolution may want to format the card to work with the console. hopfully it's true that usb drives do work, i have few 200gig external drives and a few thumb drives that whould be perfect for downloading games, saves ect on.

thanks a lot!

If Nintendo is serious about offering developpers access to the 512mb slow ram then they don't want it filled up with N64 games, for instance games like blinx the time detective was the first game to use the hard drive to go back in time and stuff, it was quite awesome and wouldn't have been possible without that extra space.

presumably then, prince of persia on the PS2 and Gamecube couldn;t offer the exact same gameplay features? (not to mention a game that was actually good):D

Got a source for that? Just thought this was speculation :hmm:

I mean any software engineer can make a game save small, even a few Kbs.. if they use .xml technology for saves it'd be even smaller (though hackable)

Uhm, no. XML takes much larger space then an optimized binary output, XML includes alot of information not necessary (but it makes it nice to look at and easy to read) and is a text format and not a binary one. And sure, most game saves can be small by smart thinking and compression, but for some games it is impossible(Animal Crossing for example, I doubt that save is smaller than 100Kbs, most likely 256 or something, and large non-linear RPGs for example, those saves can be rather huge).

Got a source for that? Just thought this was speculation :hmm:

Nintendo stated it last E3.

as said though, don't buy for the rev until you KNOW what you want to be buying.

1)once you know what you need you may be able to invest in hardware that is more approriate (for example, what size SD cards the revo will support).

2)things tend to get cheaper as time passes - tv's are due to go down because of the world cup (unsure if this is during due to increased demand, after due to overstock, or possibly both - but I'm told they will drop round the world cup)

Nintendo stated it last E3.

as said though, don't buy for the rev until you KNOW what you want to be buying.

1)once you know what you need you may be able to invest in hardware that is more approriate (for example, what size SD cards the revo will support).

2)things tend to get cheaper as time passes - tv's are due to go down because of the world cup (unsure if this is during due to increased demand, after due to overstock, or possibly both - but I'm told they will drop round the world cup)

well if someone offers me a tv for a fiver around the world cup... i'll be sure to buy that and not a couple of very cheap SD cards for my rev.

I think I remembered someone saying that the 'USB ports expanded the possibilities for saving media infinitly' or something like that, pointing towards use of USB media and possibly even USB hard drives. Can't remember who said it and where he/she said it, so I'm being useless now :heh:

For the HDD issue using any USB HDD could be possible, Operating systems such as Linux and Unix as well as windows to some degree have pre programmed Generic Drivers, If nintendo write some generic drivers for revolution then you should be able to use any USB HDD, disadvantage is that the acess todrive might not work at full speed.

If nintendo do not create some generic drivers then I'm sure someone will come up with a mass storage solution.

well if someone offers me a tv for a fiver around the world cup... i'll be sure to buy that and not a couple of very cheap SD cards for my rev.

deal, I happen to have a tv going for £5, plus P&P.

terms and conditions apply.