NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
The3rdChildren

Rep Points Need to Go.

Not only is the system being abused unfairly, it's also just another form of post counts which leads to elitism. You took away post counts, substituting them for a reputation points system. Why? Its basically the EXACT same thing.

To prove my point, I received probably HALF of my rep points for posting shitty Photoshops earlier today, and really they aren't exactly things you should be repping a person for.

Anyone who wants to see them go too, feel free to post here. Just so we're all clear... anyone dumb enough to positive rep me for this thread really does need to die.

Agreed, excellent idea. Rep point for you.

But seriously, I do second this notion.

• Like 1

Not only is the system being abused unfairly, it's also just another form of post counts which leads to elitism. You took away post counts, substituting them for a reputation points system. Why? Its basically the EXACT same thing.

To prove my point, I received probably HALF of my rep points for posting shitty Photoshops earlier today, and really they aren't exactly things you should be repping a person for.

Anyone who wants to see them go too, feel free to post here. Just so we're all clear... anyone dumb enough to positive rep me for this thread really does need to die.

i only used it once. thats it :hmm:

182 posts :awesome:

Yeah, the rep system doesn't work (says the guy with lesser rep than you, :P).

It's kind of depressing to see random posts from a more popular guy get tons more rep than the same quality of post made by you gets a 'lol' at most :)

i generally only use it for valued topics or opinions...i do agree with the elitist thing tho it is very sad...:(

I would give you a rep point but seen as you dont agree with it, and it would just contrast what your point is trying to say.

and the post counts are still here too

I'm hearing reports that some folks are being asked through MSN and stuff by other board users to give them positive rep.

Not naming any names at this point though.

But I might, so be afraid.

It's flawed, but on the flip-side, encourages intelligent and witty posts. If we moderate ourselves and distribute the points fairly, it's a good system. If we don't, then it isn't. Guy, you received points for being genuinely funny. You're rewarded for that. With post counts, quality doesn't come into the equation.

Again, we have to moderate ourselves.

(rep plz)

I totally agree aswell, and had the exact same thought today.............it's nearly as bad as the post system in someways.

This place has been opened little over a week, and I see peoples repitoire up around the 20-25 levels already. I mean, how many positive comments to you need until your rep level is bumped up aswell?

I've had a few people give me rep, but tbh I can see people talking on IRC/MSN/PM's and asking people just to bump them up with rep points.

Fine, it's gone now.

It's flawed, but on the flip-side, encourages intelligent and witty posts. If we moderate ourselves and distribute the points fairly, it's a good system. If we don't, then it isn't. Guy, you received points for being genuinely funny. You're rewarded for that. With post counts, quality doesn't come into the equation.

That was the intention, but us staff are always in a lose-lose situation with this forum.

Actually, i may as well have kept the reputation system, because we're still going to be on a forum where people think they're better than someone else. So, lose-lose.

[Locked]

Okay the reputation system is better because you are meant to give reputation points FOR GOOD QUALITY POSTS (even if that is "i like that pic you photoshopped") rather than just getting a high post count by spamming.

I have said this many times in just over a week, IF THERE ARE (WERE) ANY CONCERNS OVER THE REPUTATION SYSTEM (abuse and the like) CONTACT ME AND I WILL LOOK INTO IT.

Also there is a suggestions topic in the Rules section.

My rep was at 20 because people had been giving rep for being helpful (which is the correct way to use it and thank you to those who did) and Fierce gave me some. As hes an admin he gives more points when he comments.

I know many good forums where the rep system has worked fine, people do not abuse it and such, shame it had to be taken away becasue people are so arsey about little things like that. If you don't like the idea of not having a rep number just don't look, its not that big a deal. On a forum I go to I have over 900, but it doesn't make me feel superior or anything, just seems people here like judging themselves against others.

Now to the pub. Hmph.

Sign in to follow this