NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Lammie

Deviant Art....overrated?

I was browsing through Deviant Art the other day and it kinda struck me that there's not a hell alot of original interesting work there. For example, check out the Abstract Wallpapers and sort by Top Rated, the first three pages is basically the same lookin stuff. And there's so many artists there who do the same work over and over (ie vector car art ad nauseum). Or am I just being a whinger?

There is a lot of that but it's still a good place, some of those will be better than others. I get most of my wallpapers from deviant now. But one thing that pisses me off is that there are WAY too many mac visual styles, i mean just get a ucking mac if you want it to look like one so bad.

Yeah amen to the mac shit.. I mean it doesn't fool anyone when you have some piece of crap dock that doesn't scroll right.

The problem with deviantART is it's not very democratic, a lot of people on the site get pissed that so much good art doesn't get exposure because the heirachy of staff control what gets exposure.

So basically *on the whole* art that doesn't fit the staff's tastes doesn't get exposed.

I mean this is my most amazing picture:

onthebenchbyspencerocks4ay.jpg

and it got no love at all.. i find that the daily deviation features are often watered down generic clean cut pieces of crap art by pretentious wankers..

But it's free.. and if you look around there are some relatively decent people to converse with and get inspired by. I enjoy it and I can't knock it.. without it i'd still be taking photos of shit.

But as we see on iTunes the iMix section which follows a democratic structure complimented by 'Staff picks' often is swamped by "GET GIRLS ALOUD ON ITUNES" or the Beatles.. or something else ridiculous which can't happen for legal reasons.

I've never been able to 'get' DeviantArt, just never liked the look, the structure and just the general...ness... However, I may get into it more if I do find a decent camera and start taking photos more.

There is some quality work on there the thing is that any 12 year old can have one. Some people seem to think that just b'cos they have a deviant they are amazing.

Deviant is nothing more than a ego tool.

Bold.. I disagree completely.. while you're right on some levels deviantART is the largest independant art website going. and they don't charge you a thing.

Looking around, some people can be quite pretentious stuck up artists, but there are some pretty cool people on there.

If we're all plugging i might as well join in

http://retro-lover.deviantart.com

Haven't had any comments on my dps or other work yet so constructive critisism and other comments would be nice.

There is some quality work on there the thing is that any 12 year old can have one. Some people seem to think that just b'cos they have a deviant they are amazing.

as i stated with my "any 12 year old can have one" speach.

I think alot of the members there just need to look outside of DA for inspiration and ideas, it's gotten to a point where it's this massive cycle of repeated variations of other members work. It wouldn't hurt some of them to check out some art exhibitions...

I had a paid account on deviantART for some time. The simple truth is there are some spellbindingly amazing artists on there - including some famous comic artists who work for Marvel/DC/Top Cow (which is one of my favourite things there). I only stopped paying because I slowed down on my photoshop work. I think it's a great place for the greats to get recognised. Sure, if you browse by most favourites you get a lot of the same, but that's because a lot of different people add it to their faves! It doesn't mean it's the best stuff on the site - try browsing by the top faves in the last month instead.

The photography, digital paintings, visual styles, emotes and web designs are by far the most outstanding things to check out on that site.

Sure some people have an ego problem, but personally I think that's the case in all walks of life. There are the modest but brillaint, the aspiring artists, the n00bs and the bloated headed idiots no matter where you look, not just dA.

Seriously overrated in my opinion. The layout is the most uninnovative thing ever, I thought it was meant to be a design site? It needs a serious overhaul. Very serious. Maybe that would help speed up their slow as shit servers as well.

The community is very hit and miss. There are some awesome artists out there, BurningLiquid used to be my faviourte but then all his stuff was just the same as always. As mentioned previously in this thread. The rest of it is crap, mostly inside jokes written again in spray in MSPaint.

Most of the population seems to be emo or eliteist too.

The layout is the most uninnovative thing ever, I thought it was meant to be a design site? It needs a serious overhaul

It's 6 months late.. they promised us it a while ago.. personally I think they're a little stubbourn using all in house code.

It's better than myspace.

Seriously overrated in my opinion. The layout is the most uninnovative thing ever, I thought it was meant to be a design site? It needs a serious overhaul. Very serious. Maybe that would help speed up their slow as shit servers as well.

The servers have trouble because of the traffic. Have you ever watched the counter on the homepage? There is a deviation added almost every second. That server must be amazing just to keep from collapsing into a black hole.

And personally, as a fan of minimalist design, I think the site is fantastic. A site doesn't have to be coated in gradients and shiney metallic bars and bevels to look 'cool'. The site serves its purpose greatly, it's almost a frame, a fast-loading showcase for the real art, which is in the submissions. No one goes to deviantART to look at deviantART itself.

I go there daily (me=gfx forum whore) so ...

the DA staff suck though, I hate spyed, and what they did to jark....

and the DD are shit

I would have to disagree Lammie.

I was actually looking on there last night, and you quicky reilize something; the more you look, the more you find. I was looking at the photographs, and they really blow me away. There are definatly some very talented people on there, but to say there is nothing original is a large overstatement. You could say that people's favorites are rather unoriginal, but if you search for a while, you will find some truely amazing stuff. :wink:

The servers have trouble because of the traffic. Have you ever watched the counter on the homepage? There is a deviation added almost every second. That server must be amazing just to keep from collapsing into a black hole.

Yeah, I have. They have like 100 servers and it's still not enough. I'm not sure where all the subscription and shop money goes, they should probably put more of it into hosting.

And personally, as a fan of minimalist design, I think the site is fantastic. A site doesn't have to be coated in gradients and shiney metallic bars and bevels to look 'cool'. The site serves its purpose greatly, it's almost a frame, a fast-loading showcase for the real art, which is in the submissions. No one goes to deviantART to look at deviantART itself.

It doesn't look bad,(well, it doesn't look great either) its just impossible to get around. in my experience.

I go there daily (me=gfx forum whore) so ...

the DA staff suck though, I hate spyed, and what they did to jark....

and the DD are shit

Would you mind telling us the story? I haven't heard it.

jark is the person who did the coding for dA, and is one of the two founders. Last year, he was removed from his position as "heart and soul, and leader" of deviantART, ostensibly by spyed.

yup.

jark is the person who did the coding for dA, and is one of the two founders. Last year, he was removed from his position as "heart and soul, and leader" of deviantART, ostensibly by spyed.

yup.

Oh ya, that totally annoyed a lot of people, they had big members removing all their gallery, and people spamming the whole submissions area with yellow images for jark.

Man that was such a big fuss >.>

There is a legal battle around Jark's rights to deviantART.. because there are no real deeds unfortunately Jark has to navigate the law system.. which he is right now.

He worked on deviantART, he deserves his share.

Ultimately only a few people know what happened.. and they are all sowrn to secrecy Jark included.. we don't know the facts so we can't comment.

It caused outrage because it was unexplained.. but it couldn't be explained for legal reasons.. if that makes sense.

I have to disagree too, once you find talented people, you'll see a lot of awesome pieces of work. In 2 days I get my deviantwatch filled with hundreds of awesome stuff.

I post some bits of writing up on there, but frankly alot of the prose on there is dogshit. its all titled stuff like 'dragonrage trillogy part one chapter seven' or some shit like that. nobody want's to read anything that isn't fantasy tripe.

and when they do, it's bad emo poetry about broken hearts and black dye...

Sign in to follow this