N-Europe

MMORPG ?

Flaight

I can't remember if it was MMO RPG or just some other Massively Multiplayer Online game, but I remember Nintendo said something about attempting one in the next gen. I remember people saying online that it's so unexpected of Nintendo to do that as they don't come across to be a company to do that sort of thing.

Can anyone please point me to the article? I really can't remember it and it's frustrating. It must have been after last summer, but not sure.

Did they not say something like "MMORPG's" is a genre to work on for the revo ie talking to other developers to invest money into creating MMORPGames for the Revolution rather than them saying that they are making one themselves?

Somewhere in my brain, it seems like Animal Crossing is the most likely candidate for a MMO. It is something everyone can play, it is simple and fun. Who wants to bet?

That was the first game that entered my mind, too.

For the Revolution version, i want to see a whole new level of interaction. Wouldn't it be amazing to have a party of like 10 or so people? Hehe.

Xbox live is bad for MMORPGs because the control of the system lies in microsoft's hands. But the nintendo has stated that it would make the game developer's to decide if they want to make the customer pay for playing the game. This would probably mean that the developer's would be able to run their own servers. One of the reasons EA didn't support the live system at first was the fact that they couldn't run their own servers. And when they finally did have it for burnout 3 the server had poor performance resulting in xbox crashes and such.

I really don't know how exactly does the xbox live system work and the above is just speculation based on what Jeff Strain (creator of guild wars) has said about the live system.

Live got dissed because the pricing structure for MMORPGs, you're paying your ISP, xbox live and then the game server subs, WoW.. or PlayOnline for Final Fantasy 11.

That's why it got trashed...

I think as mentioned Animal Crossing.. an entire world, of villages covering the planet. all in real time.

Guest Stefkov

that would be very cool animal crossing online, with other people. its act like any other one, you could just start out in your home, imagine being able to live in the counrtyside, or in a town centre! id love to live a life on that game eg you could be a farmer, part time or something. just have some animas if they took it that far. or just live in the house. what about the main thing in the game, getting your house biger and pying it off? hw would you get money, would it be the same as what i said and you actually get jobs on the game? theres so much you could put into a game like animal crossing with loads ofpeople, but ive got homework so im not gonna go on.

animal crossing mmorpg... ddrrroooooooooollllllll.... :D

the gadget show on five did state that nintendo have invested a large sum of money in developing MMORPG's for the "new" generation.

and i can see pokemon being a very good possibility, bit silly not to!

Alright, thanks lads.. I guess it was Nintendo just saying they are INTERESTED in seeing MMO game publishers come play with them and their system. Or is there more we can read into this? From traditional point of view, I'd be surprised to see Nintendo catering for MMO community. It's just... I don't know, it just doesn't feel very Nintendo to be massively-multiplayer online supporter. Then again, WiFi has been very successful with DS, so I can't say.

I seem to remember them saying something about a MMO or MMO RPG, can't quite remember if they said they were doing one or just interested though...

Pokemon and Animal Crossing are the obvious choices and clearly the best choices (at least in my opinion) but perhaps their new franchise will be a MMO(RPG).

animal crossing, doshin, pikmin, pokemon, metroid could all become mmo games fairly easily.

I mention metroid as now they are broadening the seried, removing the focus from samus (which I think is a good thing) and bulking out the story, they could easily enough make a mmo metroid game.

pikmin, could be a lil too manic- I'm too tired to think it through, but who knows, I'm sure its possible to pull if off and make a good mmo pikmin game.

pokemon and AC are fairly self explanatory.

pokemon I think could be expanded very nicely though.

• 2 weeks later...

animal crossing could have huge possibilities, to keep it simple ish. I was thinking you can have the normal village to start with, like normal, but have a return of the train from the GC version, could use the train to go online and this would take you too a city. A city could be set up for europe, US and japan, to keep the numbers down for each one, but you could have an airport and go on holiday to these other cities. The cities could have loads of stuff in them, like a nintendo world store or pokemon store were you could buy items and retro games, could have markets were players could setup stalls to sell fruit or old junk, could even have cinemas running nintendos forth coming animations or old pokemon episodes etc. Just a couple of ideas probably never happen, but what do ya think?

The problem with MMO games is that you can only play them online, thus making a pokemon MMO or a zelda MMO would alienate a lot of the fans of those franchises who dont have an internet connection.

I think that the only way Nintendo could create an MMO game is to make a completely new franchise, which is something else that they have been saying.

Animal Crossing would be lovely.. but they really have to tweak the formula enough so that it offers something new besides a flowin game economy and ecology and junk online.

Think of all the hating people would do if it was completely open.

I'd love to see it.. but there needs to be protection and the economy would need to be strictly regulated.

Guest Stefkov

animal crossing online could become like real life, youd have all the different gangs of people on it, like instead of goths etc, youve got pokemon people and metroid lovers etc. this would be funny in real life.

animal crossing could have huge possibilities, to keep it simple ish. I was thinking you can have the normal village to start with, like normal, but have a return of the train from the GC version, could use the train to go online and this would take you too a city. A city could be set up for europe, US and japan, to keep the numbers down for each one, but you could have an airport and go on holiday to these other cities. The cities could have loads of stuff in them, like a nintendo world store or pokemon store were you could buy items and retro games, could have markets were players could setup stalls to sell fruit or old junk, could even have cinemas running nintendos forth coming animations or old pokemon episodes etc. Just a couple of ideas probably never happen, but what do ya think?

that idea is awesome. id love to have a headset with that so you can go into town and meet up with friends, online, and have chats with them.

animal crossing online could become like real life, youd have all the different gangs of people on it, like instead of goths etc, youve got pokemon people and metroid lovers etc. this would be funny in real life.

that idea is awesome. id love to have a headset with that so you can go into town and meet up with friends, online, and have chats with them.

I completely agree that would be amazing. Just thikn of the possibilities when hardware advances even further. Mind blowing.