NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Stocka

Koei Executive Disappointed With Revolution

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/308

At the Asian Online Game Conference held in Tokyo, Japan last week, Koei's Kenji Matsuhara, an executive in charge of the Dynasty Warrior publisher's Online game development strategy, discussed his thoughts about the next generation of consoles.

With regards to the Nintendo Revolution, Matsuhara expressed disappointment in Nintendo's decision to use Flash memory for their next console instead of a hard disk, stating that "a full 3D MMORPG (massively multiplayer Online RPG) may not fit." In addition, he suggested that the Revolution's online plan may be quite similar to that of the Nintendo DS'.

Those two statements I've bolded are indeed disappointing and possibly realistic. I really do hope Revolution Online isn't as limited as DS Online. WFC on DS is fantastic for a handheld, but I don't want something similar for a home console :nono:

I really hope Wifi for Rev is nothing like the DS though,would be crap if it is,and Flash cards better not ruin the amount of MMORPGs

MMORPGs, are somewhat over-rated.. they often have no aim, just going around in circles..

I'd rather spend my time doing something more constructive. But obviously that's not everyone else's opinion, people like being hunched over desks clicking on animals in an escapist world. (no offense)

I couldn't care less about MMORPGs in the front room, it's not the kind of balanced lifestyle that is good for you or the other people who might want to use the television.

"I want to watch eastenders.."

- "after i've levelled up!"

For me all Nintendo wifi offers a better (real AI) experience, and a hard drive cannot offer that. It would be nice to be able to communicate with those I play in a better experience, but to be harassed by neo nazi racists verbally it's a trade I'm willing to make. [insert link to article entitled 'Are online gaming buddies really friends?]

Of course a hard drive can store much content and can be exploited in other ways.. that xbox title.. blinx the time detective looked really great fun and used it well.

I think a hard drive is nice, but something that could easily become an unexploited piece of hardware.

Leave the HDD and MMORPGs for PCs I say.

That made me laugh,I remember Nintendo saying rev will benefit the whole family or something,so far it isnt with the remote

It would need a central hub to work, what with all the down-loading etc. And no specs have been given of the machine as yet, of course a mmo would fit, just how good a one is anouther question, rembering that the 360 couldn't really handle one without the hard-drive which not all it's users own.

Final Fantasy 11 for xbox 360 will be as big of a flop as it was on the PS2.

Dunno if they have any others coming? WoW will flop I reckon, after so many love it on the PC.

He's right though, I hope Nintendo take notice...

Maybe they already have the solution to both of those statements but are not going to unveil them yet.

Or perhaps Nintendo don't care much for a relatively unpopular genre of games that would use this type of hardware.

Think Cooking mama not World of Warcraft.

They are pushing the bar up, not leeching of old formulas.

You all have PCs, you all can play MMORPGs elsewhere, remember Revolution is for exclusives not franchises.

That may be so Nintendork but you can not totally disreguard past franchises. As a dedicated games console it should at least be able to play every single type of game!

I think Nintendo should take nottice and give developers the ability to make a potential MMORPGame! Give developer the freedom and choice to do what they want, the only limiting factor that should really exist is the system specification which really can not be helped.

Didn't Reggie or Iwata make a comment saying that they thought that MMOs were an area that needed to be investigated more in gaming?

Oh and 'dork...

If you find WoW boring then you have no imagination. It's like saying that you find life boring. MAKE it interesting...

MMORPGS belong on the PC. Puttinh a hard drive in rev would raise costs, size and power comsuption. Should they suffer all this just for a genre that typically flops on consoles? About online, I'm pretty sure it won't be like XBOX live, I mean you knbow how Nintendo is and you have to realise that you're not paying for anything.

It does have USB ports for possible HDD drives... And if it comes it will probably be bundled with a game.

I agree with that, plus, pc's would control MMORPGs so much better than a controller, just point and click, and point where you wanna go with the mosue and.. wait revo controller would fit. But i stil think it would be better with pcs

Amen hellfire.

WoW is popular, UO is popular.. they're so established on the PC.

It is the platform of choice and it suits the system.. you can chat with a keyboard and mouse so easy.. it doesn't have a home on the Revolution.

There would be issues of balancing an in game communication experience.. and making it safe for children.

There would be costs for servers/bandwidth.

MMORPGs that rely on a hard drive don't belong on Revolution, personally I don't think any do.

Remember the problems people had having to pay xbox live, then playonline (SquareEnix).. then your ISP for connection.

It's not an accesible market for the 80% of people who don't play games.. and I don't think MMORPGs are the 'blue ocean' nintendo talk about.

Jamba no need to be a fanboy, don't take my criticism of an entire genre personally because you like it. Games are meant to be an experience.. you shouldn't have to provide that. I have played many in my time, Runescape, Mir, Soma.. UO.

They are novelties and don't give you half of what you put in.

It's odd that nintendo have quite possibly the most mmorpg-able franchise in history with pokemon, yet they have designed their first online console in such a way that it would be counter productive to the efforts of the designers.

hmm!

http://www.revolutionreport.com/articles/read/308

Those two statements I've bolded are indeed disappointing and possibly realistic. I really do hope Revolution Online isn't as limited as DS Online. WFC on DS is fantastic for a handheld, but I don't want something similar for a home console :nono:

at least he didnt express his doubt over the controller, thats like 50% of nintendos next console

MMORPGs, are somewhat over-rated.. they often have no aim, just going around in circles..

I'd rather spend my time doing something more constructive. But obviously that's not everyone else's opinion, people like being hunched over desks clicking on animals in an escapist world. (no offense)

I couldn't care less about MMORPGs in the front room, it's not the kind of balanced lifestyle that is good for you or the other people who might want to use the television.

For me all Nintendo wifi offers a better (real AI) experience, and a hard drive cannot offer that. It would be nice to be able to communicate with those I play in a better experience, but to be harassed by neo nazi racists verbally it's a trade I'm willing to make. [insert link to article entitled 'Are online gaming buddies really friends?]

Of course a hard drive can store much content and can be exploited in other ways.. that xbox title.. blinx the time detective looked really great fun and used it well.

I think a hard drive is nice, but something that could easily become an unexploited piece of hardware.

Good views, but i personally like MMORPG's, its so interactive and the communities are often completely awesome.

They always aim for the mass-audiences, not the small minorities. But you do have a very good point about HDD and MMO's for PC's, its too expensive on console.

Basically I want a XBOX Live system on the Revolution. I love the Live aspect of the xbox and it was what made me buy one many moons ago. If Nintendo are serious about online gaming then they have to do more than what they have got on the DS.

Fanboy defending aside, this is concerning news. The Nintendo DS online service is complete shit for this day and age. Nintendo better get their act together, we don't want a trio of failed consoles in the public eye.

Fanboy defending aside, this is concerning news. The Nintendo DS online service is complete shit for this day and age. Nintendo better get their act together, we don't want a trio of failed consoles in the public eye.

Damn straight they better get their act together

Don't worry 'dork I ain't being a fanboy. That would mean I have no justification for my opinion. I don't like all MMOs and WoW is the only one that I really like. I just think your reasons not likinh MMOs are a bit flawed. But hey...

I don't think MMOs have really been explored properly as a genre at all. Look at the genuine gameplay variety; many seem to be based around a very similar theme (a fantasy world in both senses). We should be able to come up with better than that, surely? But hey these games are a HUGE investment and cost lots of money. If WoW failed I don't think Blizzard would be around. So not everyone can take a shot at this. Not many chances to make big differences...

If you think the internet service will be as good as Live you're just setting yourself up to be disapointed. I'm pretty happy with what the DS delivers, it's fast, easy and free- that's just right for a handheld.Saying it's shit is kind of narrowminded. For Revolution however this will not suffice, but considering Nintendo's stance of "easy to use software", I'm expecting something really simple, but hey it's free.

Sign in to follow this