Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Maths homework help...

Supergrunch

Basically, the question I have to answer is as follows:

f '(x)=e^((-x)^2)

find f '(3x).

I'm aware that it has something to do with setting f(3x) to f(y), and then working out a calculus formula using the chain rule and those limit of delta y over delta x fractions, but I'm don't really know exactly how to proceed.

Obviously you can't simply find f(x), as f '(x) can't be integrated, so there must be some side route to do with what I said earlier.

Any help?

Have you written it correctly?

You have f '(x) and need to show what f '(3x) is? That's really easy.

Eg. If f '(x)=5x^2+12x+1 then f '(4x)=5*(4x)^2+12*(4x)+1.

Yes, I did write it wrong... :red:

I need to differentiate f(3x) with respect to x.

And given that you can't find f(x), it's a pretty evil question.

Quite a lot of maths is pretty pointless. I mean, when are you ever gonna use surds in real life? WHAT IS THE POINT! :cry:

This is what i think every crappy maths lesson, my parent won't let me move down a set :angry: .

Give me 2 instances where i ama ctually going to use pythagoras please. And where i'm actually going to need to work out an anglew, when i'll have a protractor.

What level maths is this anyway?

I did a level maths; I got a D......I always like Pure and statistics, but Mechanics blew the big one....

This is what i think every crappy maths lesson, my parent won't let me move down a set :angry: .

Give me 2 instances where i ama ctually going to use pythagoras please. And where i'm actually going to need to work out an anglew, when i'll have a protractor.

What level maths is this anyway?

Numbers are important; if you don't get a decent maths GCSE you may struggle to get decent jobs. A lot want at least a C at GCSE

Well probably you won't be using pythagoras in most workplaces. But having a good degree in maths helps you in getting into universities, and finding jobs.

And this thread remids me that I really should start reading for my entrance exams... I know that I should be able calculate the stuff that's on this thread. I just don't remember how it's done.

This sort of maths is the sort of maths used in engineering, financial prediction, ecology models, epidemic models, population dynamics ...

So ... er ... :heh:

Edit: Surds make notation easier and clearer.

Actually, if we ask our maths teacher if what we're doing is any use, he says "God no... What do you take me for?".

Anyway, what has this question got to do with surds?

And in answer to retro-lover, this maths is A2 level.