Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

KoROBO (spiritual successor to Chibi-Robo)

Tiny Wonder Studio, a new game development studio featuring key members from Chibi-Robo! series creators Skip, Ltd., have announced koROBO, a new action adventure game that follows a pint-sized robot named koROBO and his owner Tom. Kickstarter and Campfire campaigns have launched with the goal to launch on modern consoles and PC.

This is pretty much Chibi-Robo in everything but name. Hopefully it does well.

There are more details over at Gematsu.

https://www.gematsu.com/2024/07/former-chibi-robo-developers-announce-robot-action-adventure-game-korobo-for-consoles-pc

• Thanks 2

You aren’t kidding! It’s literally Chibi Robo with the serial numbers filed off, right down to the musical beats as you walk.

The story synopsis is brilliant though.

Somewhere in the borough of Brocklyn, nestled within the urban jungle of New Yock City, Tom and his mother are celebrating his 10th birthday. When a wrapped present arrives from his estranged father, Tom rips through it, excited to see what’s inside.

What he finds is not the coolest and latest in tiny household robo tech, but some knockoff model. “koROBO?”

But before long, koROBO is cleaning the home, helping Tom with his homework, and even playing games and reading comics with him like a brother. What will koROBO’s arrival have in store for Tom, his family and perhaps, the world?

I love how on the nose it is :laughing:

Edited by Dcubed
  • Haha 1

I hope they keep the character in the other toys/people you encounter, as that was one of the charms of the original.

If the campaign is successful and it looks to be progressing well I wonder if Nintendo will take it on and simply update the main character since nothing else needs changing for this to be a Chibi-Robo game!

They’ve added flying too!  It may be less of a chore now to cover long distances!

Having just read the rather confusing interview in Nintendolife I feel the developers are sending out a few mixed messages about the game.

”After announcing the game the other day, a lot of people have referred to this game as being heavily inspired by, or a heavily similar game to the Chibi-Robo series.  But I think that’s just because they’re looking through these lenses that are tainted with their experience of having played Chibi-Robo.  And actually, this is its own very different sort of game.”

Surely part of the reason this is getting so much attention is because it’s being thought of as a spiritual follow-up?  They’ve advertised it as being a little robot who traverses the house cleaning up mess, solving problems, meeting a kooky cast of characters and being careful because it has a limited battery life before needing to be recharged.

Whereas Chibi-Robo was all about being a little robot helper who traverses the house/garden, cleaning up mess, solving problems to spread happiness to the humans and cast of kooky characters it meets, all the while being mindful that it has a limited battery life that needs to be regularly recharged…

Edited by WackerJr
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1