N-Europe

The Karate Kid: Street Rumble (20th September 2024)

Julius

Seems like it'll tickle the fancy of some here :p

GameMill Entertainment has announced The Karate Kid: Street Rumble, a 16-bit-styled multiplayer side-scrolling beat-'em-up. It's in development for PC, PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo Switch, and it's due to be released on September 20.

The game, set in the 1980s, will feature playable characters Daniel Russo, Mr. Miyagi, Kumiko, or Ali Mills, and classic foes like Johnny Lawrence, John Kreese, Terry Silver, and others across 12 stages.

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

It was a thing long before HIMYM, if that's what you mean. Plus, Jonny is a far better character than Daniel. Cobra Kai proves this.

So, what you're saying is you understood my understanding a reference?

That's literally all I know about The Karate Kid, though.

• Haha 2

I love Karate Kid and Cobra Kai so Im looking forward to this, it also seems like a sensible style to take the videogame series in.

I tried the first Cobra Kai game, a side-scrolling 2.5d beat em up, and while rough around the edges I enjoyed it! The sequel, Cobra Kai 2, was fully 3D, more janky, and the performance was awful. I'm not picky when it comes to performance, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet isn't great but I can deal with it, but Cobra Kai 2 was another level, the screen frequently either freezes and/or the FPS drops to 1 frame a second, there's so many bugs, and the graphics look ridiculously bad.

The gameplay and passion is there, but the games have always been let down on a technical level, hopefully the 2D sprites will rectify that!

Relive the ultimate underdog story of a bully and a cheat. IGN have this to say:

You can play as Daniel Russo, Mr. Miyagi, Kumiko, or Ali Mills, and you'll face off against classic foes like Johnny Lawrence, John Kreese, Terry Silver, and others across 12 stages. And yes, it's set in the 1980's.

:shakehead 

On 7/12/2024 at 3:35 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

It was a thing long before HIMYM, if that's what you mean. Plus, Jonny is a far better character than Daniel. Cobra Kai proves this.

I was shown that scene after Cobra Kai came along. Fun. Credit where it's due. 

Johnny Lawrence > Daniel-san. 

On 7/12/2024 at 4:17 PM, Josh64 said:

I love Karate Kid and Cobra Kai so Im looking forward to this, it also seems like a sensible style to take the videogame series in.

I tried the first Cobra Kai game, a side-scrolling 2.5d beat em up, and while rough around the edges I enjoyed it! The sequel, Cobra Kai 2, was fully 3D, more janky, and the performance was awful. I'm not picky when it comes to performance, Pokémon Scarlet and Violet isn't great but I can deal with it, but Cobra Kai 2 was another level, the screen frequently either freezes and/or the FPS drops to 1 frame a second, there's so many bugs, and the graphics look ridiculously bad.

The gameplay and passion is there, but the games have always been let down on a technical level, hopefully the 2D sprites will rectify that!

Handy to know. I've looked at those on the eShop from time to time when Cobra Kai's been on but never took a chance on one. No doubt be looking at them again soon enough when the programme starts again.

11 hours ago, darksnowman said:

Relive the ultimate underdog story of a bully and a cheat. IGN have this to say:

:shakehead 

I was shown that scene after Cobra Kai came along. Fun. Credit where it's due. 

Johnny Lawrence > Daniel-san. 

Handy to know. I've looked at those on the eShop from time to time when Cobra Kai's been on but never took a chance on one. No doubt be looking at them again soon enough when the programme starts again.

1 is worth it for a bit of dumb fun! I doubt 2 has had any patches but will check when I'm next on my switch, if it hasn't then I really can't recommend it because it's just too broken. 

I also have a soft spot for 1 as it was the first game I could buy physically again after the first COVID lockdown. Freedom and Cobra Kai!