N-Europe

The Legend of Zelda: Echoes of Wisdom (26th September 2024)

Julius

Finished the game yesterday. 16 hearts in total, so still a few PoHs left to find. I also haven't done many side quests but will need to use a guide to find the few ones worth doing. 

The final boss fight was good and the story revelations here felt good, it certainly gives some indications as to where this game stands on the timeline. 

One thing, though, during the final fight I very much felt like a bystander, just summoning Echoes and keeping out of harm's way. I guess that's the role for healers and magic users in fights but it felt a bit underwhelming. 

I haven't seen how much time I spent on the game but I guess it's about 20 hours to reach this point. 

16 minutes ago, MindFreak said:

One thing, though, during the final fight I very much felt like a bystander, just summoning Echoes and keeping out of harm's way. I guess that's the role for healers and magic users in fights but it felt a bit underwhelming. 

OK, I only found this out after I finished the game, but...

You can actually use Bind to pull that boss's arms out, which will cause Link to gun for it and start slashing at it.

• Thanks 1

Just done the first dungeon and went way of the Gerudo. I'm not sure how I feel at the moment. I'm currently running around enemies firing off ropes, keese, crows, whichever may be best and then standing back and watching them go at it in a slow and unsatisfying way.

7 hours ago, MindFreak said:

It's crazy how many people didn't think of doing what you are supposed to do (as Glen pointed out) and as such the battle seemed like a passive experience. I used Tri a stupid amount of times when I played the game and so it was second nature to me but it seems a lot of players forgot all about it during that fight.

1 hour ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Just done the first dungeon and went way of the Gerudo. I'm not sure how I feel at the moment. I'm currently running around enemies firing off ropes, keese, crows, whichever may be best and then standing back and watching them go at it in a slow and unsatisfying way.

The combat is pretty much like that throughout the game. You can attack on your own for a limited time but for the most part you let the Echoes do the fighting.

On 9/27/2024 at 8:42 PM, Hero-of-Time said:

Speaking of amiibo, I've just unlocked this amiibo costume that let's Zelda talk to cats. Some of them dish out sidequests. :D

GYgbyGFXYAAkgrw?format=jpg&name=medium

... GOTY

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It's crazy how many people didn't think of doing what you are supposed to do (as Glen pointed out) and as such the battle seemed like a passive experience. I used Tri a stupid amount of times when I played the game and so it was second nature to me but it seems a lot of players forgot all about it during that fight.

I can only speak for myself, but the first thing I did was summon a Lizalfos, it lunged for an arm, and it did the typical flash when a boss takes damage, so I just assumed that was how it was done, so kept doing it, because Lizalfos is easily one of the fastest attacking Echoes if you lock on and keep respawning it.

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Given how many seem to miss it, I just don't think it's telegraphed that well.

I'm reminded of a similar thing with Skyward Sword. Spoilers for the final boss in that game, BTW.

I went through the second phase of Demise without realising that what you're meant to do is use Skyward Strike to get past his electrified sword. So I fought him head-on, and had to carefully swipe past his defenses.

Hardest thing I've ever done in a Zelda game.

• Like 1