N-Europe

Fantasian Neo Dimension (Holiday 2024)

Julius

A Sakaguchi and Uematsu joint. 

Formerly stuck on Apple Arcade -- but no more! 

And to top it all off, it's not only coming to Switch – but also PS4/5, Xbox Series X|S and PC! 

Edited by Julius

The most interesting part to me is that Square-Enix are actually publishing this... making this the first time that they've worked directly with Sakaguchi since FF11... more than 22 years ago!

• 2 months later...

Some hands-on impressions coming out of Gamescom for this:

One of the things mentioned in this round of previews that I don't think we'd heard about before – a battle music select which includes Final Fantasy music. From RPGSite:

One of the new unannounced features that I got to tinker around with in my hands-on session is the new battle music selector. Accessible both in the settings menu and in battle, people can pull up a list of various Final Fantasy games that will play select tracks from them. The titles selectable were Final Fantasy XIV: Dawntrail, Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker, Final Fantasy VII: Rebirth, Final Fantasy VII: Remake, Final Fantasy Pixel Remaster, and Final Fantasy XVI. There was a random option at the very bottom too, if you want combat to just play a different tune every time you engage into battle.

Honestly, it’s a bit of an odd decision. Fantasian is not Final Fantasy. I know Square Enix is pushing Sakaguchi’s name and legacy to market Fantasian Neo Dimension to the broader market, but it’s difficult to not perceive this as a lack of confidence in Fantasian being able to stand on its own. Rather, they feel the need to have the words ‘Final Fantasy’ somewhere in the game, even if the majority of the titles are projects that Sakaguchi has never touched.

Love FF OSTs...but man, that's a very bizarre decision. Maybe as a post-game unlock I could see it, but yeah, very weird. 

Edited by Julius