Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

19 minutes ago, lostmario said:

I hate watching England. There's just nothing there. Pass sideways, pass backwards, refuse to take on anybody.

What must Palmer and Gordon be thinking.  Reminder, Palmer was the most in form player of the last few weeks of the season.

These are the 2 players I want on the pitch. Foden doesn't work on the left and Kane is just a walking tree.

Poor. Poor. Poor. 

Subs looked good but were brought on far too late, and we've rode our luck tonight in more ways than one to avoid Germany and that side of the tournament tree. 

Our group sucked. 

Worst group in the tournament, easily. Just dire.

England will play either the Netherlands or whoever finishes 3rd in Belgium's group, can't see them getting through against any of those teams if they play the same way in the round of 16 - and with a potential QF against Italy if they do scrape through I can't see England getting to the semi finals.

Yeah, it was shame Ukraine couldn't score - they were the only team trying to win that game. 

Austria and Spain are definitely the standout performers so far, most of the big hitters have been pretty poor really 

Godamn, our team just falls apart without Pepe! Happy for the Georgians, though.

Incidentally, I'm not usually one to complain about refereeing... But the ref in this game had some bone to pick with Portugal, geez, it felt so blatant.

Don't think any major European nation have been as confusing to follow as Italy since the turn of the century. 

Honestly, assuming we go through, I'd much rather go out to Slovakia than Switzerland. Think the wrong lessons are going to be taken away from the tournament if we lose to the team that beat Italy and held Germany. 

1 minute ago, Julius said:

Honestly, assuming we go through, I'd much rather go out to Slovakia than Switzerland. Think the wrong lessons are going to be taken away from the tournament if we lose to the team that beat Italy and held Germany. 

You really want Southgate gone, don't you? :D

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, drahkon said:

You really want Southgate gone, don't you? :D

I guess so :laughing: thing is, it's nothing personal, but strictly business – I just don't think we can afford to waste the current pool of talent we have and the FA should really just look to throw money at a world class manager with a vision for attacking football. 

Unfortunately, I don't think I have an English manager in mind for us when I say this. For all the money invested in grassroots football and the ramping up of the integration of futsal and its style in a development capacity over here stretching back to the early 2010s, we now have the talent (on paper) to win a tournament and beat out other major nations – but that same investment really hasn't been made in the management space.

So we're left with Gareth who feels more like the FA's poster boy and someone who was in the right place at the right time above all else. 

14 hours ago, drahkon said:

No idea why Sané is on the pitch. :nono:
He's been terrible for months now...

Every single time I watch Sané he does something ridiculous, whether it be launch a shot into Row Z when there are other options on, misplace a through ball, or do these ugly half step-overs like he did yesterday before passing the ball backwards all of 2 yards. 

Then again, he also had a back tattoo of himself, so I'm not really sure how high we should be setting the bar in terms of expectations for him :laughing:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Julius said:

Unfortunately, I don't think I have an English manager in mind for us when I say this.

If they do go with an English manager again, my vote goes to Eddie Howe. He done some great things with a very rough Newcastle squad and he plays a very attacking style of football. 

I honeslty wouldn't be surprised if they go for Graham Potter.

Didn't realise both of today's matches were on ITV. 

Urgh. 

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

If they do go with an English manager again, my vote goes to Eddie Howe. He done some great things with a very rough Newcastle squad and he plays a very attacking style of football. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they go for Graham Potter.

Yeah, would definitely take Howe over Potter at this point to be honest, simply because he's proven he can string results together at more than one club at this point. I feel like he'd be able to get away with not being undermined by the current crop of players, too. 

At the same time, it's also just one of those where I think no English manager really has the necessary knockout tournament experience at the absolute top level (Europe) or elite level experience at one of the top clubs to win one of these things as it stands, compared to so many other . When Germany have Nagelsmann (who could easily be back at Bayern if he wanted I feel like), Italy have had people in the past like Conte and Mancini, and currently have Spalletti (Italy have been a confusing mess long before he turned up lol), and France have Deschamps, you just look at what they've each managed in their domestic leagues, cups, and in Europe at club level and it dwarfs anything an English manager has done in the last...I don't even know how many years, honestly. 

Gareth almost treats it like we're in a relegation battle despite being in a cup, grinding out results. Either way, I think he's got to go. 

Anyways, I expect a win tonight but I doubt it'll be pretty, and if it somehow is, watch how quickly people forget these first three matches and it be "it's coming home" once again. 

5 minutes ago, Julius said:

Anyways, I expect a win tonight but I doubt it'll be pretty, and if it somehow is, watch how quickly people forget these first three matches and it be "it's coming home" once again. 

Followed by the usual fair weather fans who jump on the bandwagon and start taking an interest. Annoys me to no end. 

What a ball from Bellingham. Trippier absolutely had the time to take a touch.

Slovakia are tearing us apart on the wings as they look to cut in/fizz it in. Not quite sure what Walker needs to do to be taken out of our starting lineup, but he's been very shaky at the start. 

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Followed by the usual fair weather fans who jump on the bandwagon and start taking an interest. Annoys me to no end. 

Aye, I do think when it happens as we progress in tournaments it's where the unrealistic expectations seem to get buoyed on and the majority suddenly think we're untouchable. 

And I also think that buoying on from people jumping on the bandwagon like you say is where it can go too far. It's why I'm glad we didn't win the last Euros, we didn't deserve to with how English fans behaved at Wembley that day. Some of those will be crazed diehards, sure, but so many turned up "just cos" :nono: