Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

6 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, could have been a game changer but instead the decision ultimately has killed the game as it led to the other goal.

Yep, very poor. 

Had a lot of wrong calls this tournament, many of them like that being small decisions which are going the wrong way. Think there'll be better uses for VAR yet if this tournament has been anything to go by. 

1 minute ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Beautiful 3rd goal.

Yep, wonderful. Killed the game off fully. 

The Dutch vs Austria or Turkey could be a belter in the quarters. 

Did the commentator really just say that Turkey got stuffed by Austria [back in March]? Lmao that's something I guess :laughing:

Missed the first half to finish off the Elden Ring DLC but came back to some awesome action by both sides. Austria had a golden opportunity with a peach of a through ball but Turkey seems to be rolling with the punches well enough. 

Absolutely awful behaviour from some of the fans in the stands, btw, with the sheer number of cups being thrown on the pitch. 

What a freaking save at the death from Mert. Holy crap. 

Turkey deserved to go through, but Austria can hold their heads high, they've been fantastic at this Euros. Really hope they qualify for the World Cup in two years and can push on – such a shame that they couldn't make it to their first quarter-finals at a major tournament, but Turkey are in their first since 2008! 

Both teams played amazingly well and went for it. Certainly one of the better games from this round. 

It's awful when these tournaments have breaks. You get used to watching footy everyday and then they take it away from you for a couple of days. I always feel quite lost.

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm expecting your guys to put up a decent fight. I dont think it will be the thrashing most are thinking.

I'm expecting it, too, but the lads need to step up. The last two matches weren't particularly great (aside from Rüdiger).

We're still going to be kicked out, though :p

4 minutes ago, drahkon said:

I'm expecting it, too, but the lads need to step up. The last two matches weren't particularly great (aside from Rüdiger).

We're still going to be kicked out, though :p

I love how cynical we all are on here of our national teams. I think there's only Jonnas who's positive about his country.

• Haha 1

Read an article somewhere, maybe the BBC, where they were lamenting how bad the big teams have been at this tournament, blaming it on the long and demanding elite season across Europe. I'm inclined to agree with that POV. It's only going to get worse next time with the revised bigger European club tournaments coming in this year. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Nicktendo said:

Read an article somewhere, maybe the BBC, where they were lamenting how bad the big teams have been at this tournament, blaming it on the long and demanding elite season across Europe. I'm inclined to agree with that POV. It's only going to get worse next time with the revised bigger European club tournaments coming in this year. 

Me and a mate were talking about this yesterday. He's recently watched the Man Utd documentary on Amazon and he commented on how small the pool of clubs used to be in the Champions League compared to now. It seems more and more tournaments are being made bigger in order to increase revenue but coming at the cost of players actually having a decent break.

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It seems more and more tournaments are being made bigger in order to increase revenue but coming at the cost of players actually having a decent break.

Definitely, and to top it all off, most of that revenue is going to the bigger clubs, and the bigger clubs want to face each other more (because that's where they get the most revenue from in terms of individual match days) which is why silliness like the European Super League was attempted. And why the silliness of the new CL format has come about. 

Now we're just seeing parts of seasons here and there (Super Cups in Italy and Spain come to mind) be shipped abroad. It's gross. 

These players do need a break. A club like City is going to buy a silly amount of quality and have two First XIs anyways, but it feels like every club now needs this to seriously compete. 

2 hours ago, Nicktendo said:

Definitely agree.

Hated the vibe of the thing in terms of what was on-the-ground, and obviously Infantino's gross comments, but the Qatar World Cup was excellent in terms of on-pitch action. Players were in peak condition because it was mid-season, and even if it wasn't the climate which forced their hand into having that competition take place in Nov/Dec, a World Cup anywhere else in June/July 2022 would have been very lethargic. 

Euros 2020/21 is another outlier where more care was seemingly taken simply because COVID was still considered such a huge factor. 

Now in this 12 month period from June/July 2024 to June/July 2025, players from the top teams have all their typical domestic competitions, a potential continental competition with their nation (Euros and Copa America now, AFCON in Jan 2025), an expanded CL format AND the new FIFA Club World Cup next June/July.

And then there's the World Cup in June/July 2026. 

I'll be shocked if we don't see a strike or walk-out in the next two years. Tiredness leads to mistakes, lethargy and frustration, which leads to greater risk of injury (for yourself or an opponent), I think it's just going to unfortunately take some big names getting their legs broken or something along those lines to spark some action. Which I hate to admit. 

3 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I think there's only Jonnas who's positive about his country.

I mean, I am totally bracing myself for a loss today :p But yeah, since I still have hope, that's positivity.

Every competition, all I want is for Portugal to go out in a dignified fashion (which granted, doesn't always happen). A loss is bound to happen, but as long as I can point out "I liked that thing we did that year", I think that's the best outcome.

• Like 2

Less than a minute until the first of the quarter-finals then, between Spain and Germany. 

Really hard one to call for me. On paper I think Spain edges out Germany - they're just too fragile at the back, whereas Spain seem the strongest attacking threat in the tournament - but we saw just how much home advantage helped carry England at the Euros three summers ago, so I think the German crowd would have plenty to say about that. 

Well, that's been coming. Great finish from Wirtz, you just knew it was coming back across into the box when it was crossed in. 

Those Spain subs seemed risky if things didn't pan out. All the momentum with Germany. 

This is about to get very interesting. 

Edited by Julius

Kroos getting away with murder in this match, because that was a foul. 

Ref let it go because...of the potential injury I guess? Seemed caught in two minds. Even though Germany then got the advantage before the following Spanish foul and also weren't interested in kicking it out. 

Another subpar performance by the ref for me tonight. It's Anthony Taylor though, is that really surprising? 

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. Spain sat back and Germany kept on coming. Well deserved.

Yeah, think they said at one point (and might still be the case) that they hadn't had a shot since scoring the goal. You can't do that and also take off your fast wingers and captain, seems a terrible mistake by de la Fuente. 

Extra time it is. Going in I was thinking it'd be 2-2 and 3-2 to Spain AET, but it all seems to be going Germany's way, and I'm not really sure how Spain can now break it up. I'd say coax Kroos into doing something rash because he's on a yellow and get him sent off but, again, he's got away with a lot this match that I'm not sure he'll get sent off unless the ref sees something worthy of a straight red. 

What's really interesting is, if Germany do go through, they've got a good few players with too many yellows accumulated in their starting XI who will need to sit the semi-finals out. 

Not sure how Anthony Taylor hasn't given the advantage to Spain there with Olmo in a great position. Got to imagine it's down to Cucurella clutching his face. 

Which, by the way, we've seen a lot of -- players taking advantage of the new grad injury rules and feigning head injuries. It's been gross. Really need to start seeing bookings for those.