Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

Euro 2024 | 14th June to 14th July

Linesmen have been absolutely abysmal this match. Waiting a day and an age to put their flags up (if they ever do), corners/goal kicks going the wrong way or not even going out, throw-ins being given when the ball is clearly still on the pitch. 

Tragic. Let's see this semi-automated VAR used more places like those please. 

Great penalty save from Oblak. 

First sign that wasn't going in was Ronaldo positioning himself to take it head-on before stepping to the side. He's almost always at an angle, don't think I've ever seen his name and number so square on before. Didn't take his mandatory steps to assert dominance, either. 

Think the big question after this match is, if Portugal make it through, do they still hand these set-piece opportunities to Ronaldo? If I were Bernardo Silva or Bruno Fernandes, I'd certainly be asking questions. 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I stand by this comment.

Crazy stuff. Pen was great but the save was even better.

Yep, looks like one of those nights. Feels like he's trying to roll back the years and he's more than up against himself. Taking every free-kick, the one at the crazy angle too – he has scored from that sort of position before...but not for over a decade from what I can recall. Jumping too early for headers, being a bit out of position, or just not getting far enough off the ground. 

Heartbreaking a bit to see him pushed to emotions by it all. Feels like he might finally be getting to grips with the fact that the game's starting to get away from him now. 

Edited by Julius

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yup. Insane save. Hell of a chance though.

Emi Martinez in the WC final vibes :D

Absolutely should do better though. The keeper is a mile out from his goal, anything but trying to tuck it into a corner was a terrible idea. 

First penalty shootout of the tournament, then. That wasn't on my bingo card for tonight, I'll be honest. 

Excellent from Slovenia - deserved (and played for) the draw, but hard to argue that they deserved the win. 

Portugal on the other hand just had everything off by a head, a yard, a tangle. 

Very hard to call this one. Oblak is solid with pens if it wasn't already obvious, and Portugal have both the classier players but also the crippling pressure. 

Ronaldo needs to come out and take his first. Put it in the back of the net, make up for the one before and give his teammates a bar to hit. Hopefully not the crossbar, mind :p

• Haha 1

Slovenia just don't have the know-how and cup experience to win a shootout like this out of the blue. Diogo Costa though, holy hot damn. 

Portugal will need to be better against France, though, that's for sure. That game is either going to be a goal fest or, more likely based on the tournament so far, boring as all heck – France have yet to score with their own players from open play, whereas Portugal haven't scored in two and a half matches since Fernandes scored the third for them against Turkey in the second game of the group stage (56'). France will be looking for revenge for the Euros 2016 final, if you'll remember. 

Felt like watching a Netflix episode on Ronaldo tonight with how much the camera was on him. Can understand his frustration against a "lesser" team and wanting to make the difference, but he's going to need to set that all aside against France next time out if Portugal are going to have a shout I think. 

Jesus Christ, that match. We went from playing alright against a clearly weaker side in the first half... to just dragging our feet clumsily for the entirety of the second half. And then all the drama happened during extra time + pens. The entire country has a new hero in Diogo Costa.

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Felt like watching a Netflix episode on Ronaldo tonight with how much the camera was on him.

Yeah, it's like the entire match felt like a story about how much Ronaldo is feeling the weight of his age. If we lost, this would certainly be his last match ever with the team (Pepe too, actually).

2 hours ago, Julius said:

Portugal will need to be better against France, though, that's for sure.

Absolutely. Penalties aside, I was not happy with how this team played for most of the game.

• Like 1

Abysmal decision from the ref to not let Romania continue through there. Gets the ball, doesn't touch Dumfries, foot is at waist height at worst. 

Netherlands should be 4 or 5 ahead but they haven't scored and Romania look like they could still put it in the back of the Dutch net. 

4 minutes ago, Julius said:

Abysmal decision from the ref to not let Romania continue through there. Gets the ball, doesn't touch Dumfries, foot is at waist height at worst. 

Netherlands should be 4 or 5 ahead but they haven't scored and Romania look like they could still put it in the back of the Dutch net. 

Yeah, could have been a game changer but instead the decision ultimately has killed the game as it led to the other goal.