N-Europe

Astro Bot (6th September 2024)

Julius

36 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Probably because there isn't that much to do :p

There's certainly some truth to that but its all killer, no filler. There are no real tedious tasks or wasting of players time. It's a 12 hour platinum but the game is so much fun and the trophy requirements very reasonable, it makes for a very fun and doable platinum for a lot of people. 

Talking of Platinum trophies: it is done.

GW-ogN-WIAAxAIL?format=jpg&name=large

This game is a freaking masterpiece. 

I hate to score things because I think it can be incredibly reductive, and I also feel that giving something a 10 does not necessarily mean it has be one of your favourites; but, in this case, for my tastes, this game is both a 10, and an instant favourite. 

As I don't do scores around here anymore I feel like just stating it is a 10 needs a bit more context, and you can have it, because I keep a list of games I consider to be 10/10; it's not a particularly long list. There are some games I'm considering playing through again to see if they make it onto the list, because I feel like there's a lot of value in revisiting things, but for now, this will become only the 11th entry on my list of 10s (in order of release). 

GW-pjpgWAAA2wgf?format=jpg&name=large

I feel like I got a lot out of my system when I posted my first impressions, so I'll let it sit a bit longer to flesh out my thoughts in a more meaningful way, but man, what a game! No idea if this will be GOTY for me (because it's September and I've got some serious catching up to do) but, damn, I don't think it could have made a better case for taking that slot than it did. Right now it definitely feels like it. 

@Hero-of-Time I need to talk to you about something, though, and will definitely be curious what others think about this topic once they finish the game. 

Combat Report

Spoiler

There are a couple of franchises surprisingly MIA, but Final Fantasy feels like a huuuuuuuuge one, right?! I remember Playroom having only the Buster Sword but it didn't even get that this time around, or any S-E or FF representation beyond that. 

Wild to me and by far the biggest omission, and I can't really think of why S-E would stand in the way of it – I feel like it's obvious that this wouldn't be an Asobi decision considering just how many barely known games they included in this thing. Final Fantasy in general being missing is crazy, but VII specifically is actually nuts. 

It's what I was alluding to before about potential DLC - but there's no way, right? It would be an easy win for S-E but it seems way too big a missing IP to not have made that initial cut. I'd want to say that maybe there's some weird bad blood in the water between them over...something? But Smash gets Cloud and Sephiroth, obviously the Buster Sword was in Playroom and since then they've had Rebirth and XVI exclusively.

I'm really curious to hear what you think, especially seeing as beyond VII (which I think should have been a lock-in, and if only one FF were to make the cut, that should have been the one) I know VIII and X are some of your favourite games and it's not hard for me to imagine them making it in – hell, I'd argue that every numbered entry since and including VII probably deserved some sort of acknowledgement. Maybe they were concerned about overcrowding somehow? 

Can't wait for the DLC they've got cooking for us, I got hooked on Playroom's speedrunning and I'm sure that'll happen again here :D

Edited by Julius
  • Like 1