Sign in to follow this  
Ashley

How do you pronounce GameFAQs?

How do you pronounce GameFAQs?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How do you pronounce GameFAQs?

• Game F.A.Qs
    • Game "facks"

An important question because I occasionally hear some people say "Game facks" and it bugs me. 

You've been browsing Reset Era too much...

Basically Americans pronounce it as "facks" because they don't facking understand how acronyms work.

Now.  Ima gonna go off and play some Snez.

Speaking of which, they don't seem to have walkthroughs for newer games. Do they not do that anymore?

8 minutes ago, Ike said:

Speaking of which, they don't seem to have walkthroughs for newer games. Do they not do that anymore?

Seems that most people these days turn to making flashy YouTube walkthrough videos, rather than detailed ef aie queue guides that you can easily search through and reference spoiler free and conveniently…

It’s the children who are wrong!

Edited by Dcubed

29 minutes ago, martinist said:

I'm really the only person that says game facks here?

*raises hand*

10 minutes ago, Ike said:

As Dcubed said, YouTube kinda killed it. Neoseeker still does some good guides though and the guy who does cracking facks for the Yakuza games still writes new ones when a game releases.

45 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Basically Americans pronounce it as "facks" because they don't facking understand how acronyms work.

Please don't tell me you say S.N.E.S and N.E.S. :shakehead

• Like 1

Used the yakuza like a dragon "fack" when i was platnuming the game. Mostly for subsotires and meterial requirements for EX EX wepons. Facking godsend.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, martinist said:

Used the yakuza like a dragon "fack" when i was platnuming the game. Mostly for subsotires and meterial requirements for EX EX wepons. Facking godsend.

Yeah, his guides are great. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dcubed said:

Watching American videos actually.

Although if we're being picky they do actually know how acronyms work, but not initialisations. Acronyms are words in their own right (eg scuba), whereas initialisations aren't. Depends if you consider FAQ a word. 

26 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

That's a good point, Americans spell that one out but we don't. 

59 minutes ago, martinist said:

I'm really the only person that says game facks here?

fack you guys.

Fack off with your weird pronunciation 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ike said:

Digimon Survive has a very well made one. Was very helpful in getting all the Digimon.

Unfortunately, that's only if the fanbase are dedicated. The best you can hope for is people posting a spreadsheet with deets.

EDIT: Oh, right, actual topic. It's Eff-Ay-Queues. If you disagree, then I'm gonna assume you call this place Nee-u-rope.

Edited by Glen-i

52 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

*raises hand*

As Dcubed said, YouTube kinda killed it. Neoseeker still does some good guides though and the guy who does cracking facks for the Yakuza games still writes new ones when a game releases.

Oh God no! I'm not a monster!

TBH though, I think that "Sness" might actually bother me more these days.  Come on! Everyone knows that SNES is spelt with a Z!

BTW, on the topic of pronunciation shaming...

Here's an Australian SEGA advert that'll make your skin crawl...

:D

• Weird 3

2 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

936.gif

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

BTW, on the topic of pronunciation shaming...

:D

If we're going to talk about pronouncing Sega did you know that in Italian "sega" means "he/she/it saws". Now if one imagines what else the sawing gesture could look like you soon hear "seeeeeegaaaa" in a whole new light. 

(Okay not really about pronunciation but I can never not share that). 

• Haha 1

Gamefacks. It's either that or G.A.M.E.F.A.Q.S., and one of these is definitely easier to say than the other.

6 minutes ago, Ashley said:

If we're going to talk about pronouncing Sega did you know that in Italian "sega" means "he/she/it saws". Now if one imagines what else the sawing gesture could look like you soon hear "seeeeeegaaaa" in a whole new light. 

(Okay not really about pronunciation but I can never not share that). 

In Portuguese, "Cega" (pronounced the same) means "Blind". It works for the adjective ("a Sega é cega" = "Sega's blind") and the verb ("a Sega cega-te" = "Sega blinds you"). It's actually pretty funny.

9 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

Gamefacks. It's either that or G.A.M.E.F.A.Q.S., and one of these is definitely easier to say than the other.

??? It's a basic portmanteau! It literally means Game Frequently Asked Questions! How can "GameFAQs" be an initialism if "FAQ" is itself an initialism?  What does the "G.A.M.E" part stand for then?

A "FAQ" doesn't mean anything as an acronym, it only makes sense as an initialism.

9 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

In Portuguese, "Cega" (pronounced the same) means "Blind". It works for the adjective ("a Sega é cega" = "Sega's blind") and the verb ("a Sega cega-te" = "Sega blinds you"). It's actually pretty funny.

The Portuguese were true soothsayers.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jonnas said:

245377.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

??? It's a basic portmanteau! It literally means Game Frequently Asked Questions! How can "GameFAQs" be an initialism if "FAQ" is itself an initialism?  What does the "G.A.M.E" part stand for then?

Generally Annoying, Mostly Evident, Frequently Asked Questions

Obviously

• Haha 3

Oh.  And while we’re at it.  Just because the guy who came up with the initialism wants it to be read out as an acronym, doesn’t mean that they get their way.

I am NOT calling it “sex”! It’s C.E.X, and you are NOT getting that cheap joke out of me!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dcubed said:

Oh.  And while we’re at it.  Just because the guy who came up with the initialism wants it to be read out as an acronym, doesn’t mean that they get their way.

I am NOT calling it “sex”! It’s C.E.X, and you are NOT getting that cheap joke out of me!

Haha. Yeah, I'm the same.

Same is also true for pronunciation. I don't care what Stephen Earl Wilhite ways, I'm not calling it a "jif"

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Weirdly, Charlie Brooker of Screenwipe and Black Mirror fame is listed as a founder of C.E.X.

On topic, I don't pronounce it any way because I've never said it out loud, and never will.

3 hours ago, bob said:

Weirdly, Charlie Brooker of Screenwipe and Black Mirror fame is listed as a founder of C.E.X.

On topic, I don't pronounce it any way because I've never said it out loud, and never will.

He's not a founder, but he did start out by working in their original flagship store in London Tottenham Court Road and produced the original Computer Exchange cartoon advertisements that appeared in the gaming magazines of the time.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/gaming-made-me-charlie-brooker-part-2

He also had a stint as a game reviewer in magazines like PC Zone back in the early 90s; so he does have some legitimate history within the video game industry!

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this