NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Mario vs. Donkey Kong (16th February 2024)

Announced during today's Direct! 

The rivalry that heated up on the Game Boy Advance system reignites in this updated version of the game. With his eyes on the prize, Donkey Kong has stolen all the Mini-Mario toys from the factory and it's up to Mario to rescue them! In this updated version of the game, you can play with a friend in local co-op.

Edited by Julius

Nice to finally see NST return to the original DK94 style of gameplay, even if it is a remake.

Wonder if they’ll end up reviving the scrapped level editor that was supposed to be in the original GBA game… or perhaps the e-Reader levels that previously went unreleased.

Some more details per the game's latest spot on the Nintendo YouTube channel:

Guide Mario as you puzzle your way through over 130 levels to rescue the Mini-Mario toys! The Mario vs. Donkey Kong game will be available February 16, 2024, only on the Nintendo Switch system.

Not sure if it as known before, but the eShop page also makes mention of new worlds (been a minute since the trailer was first release and I'm not checking :p):

Donkey Kong has stolen all the Mini-Mario toys from the factory, and it's up to Mario to get them back! Run, jump, and backflip your way to retrieving them across over 130 levels in this puzzle-style twist on classic platforming action.

The rivalry that originally heated up on the Game Boy™ Advance system returns on the Nintendo Switch™ system with newly added co-op play, brand-new worlds, updated music and visuals, and other new ways to play.

Wonder if some of these could be the eReader levels @Dcubed mentioned before? 

Edited by Julius

5 hours ago, Julius said:

Wonder if some of these could be the eReader levels @Dcubed mentioned before? 

Here are the 2 new worlds.

1HmSEXE.png

Someone on Era mentioned this about the e-Reader stages.

I wouldn't count on seeing the e-Reader levels again.

48 Main stage , 42 + stages, 2 final boss stages, 12 expert stages = 104 old stages

2 new worlds means they likely added in 16 main stages, 14 + stages, and 4 expert stages = 34 new stages

104 + 34 = 138 total stages which neatly falls into the "over 130 stages" advertising.

It would be a huge shame and missed opportunity if they aren't included.

I would imagine that the two new worlds would be where they’ve put the e-reader stages though surely?

New mechanics being included is interesting though :)

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

There's a good deal for this over at Currys that brings the game down to £31.99.

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/mario-vs-donkey-kong-4283326

Nice find. They do come through with a good deal now and again.

I'm not really up for replaying this any time soon but it's an easy going game you can cruise through on autopilot so it might handy enough to have around. 

A free demo is available now on the eShop!

And an overview trailer:

• Thanks 1

Tried the demo. Saw someone posted it online too if you can't be bothered to play it yourself but wanna see gameplay. Plays well, looks nice. I honestly can't remember the original other than I did enjoy it. I might pick this up in a sale not full price.

Am I missing something but how do you play level 2,4 and 6? Also you can use the N64 controller to play this game.

On 01/02/2024 at 9:10 PM, BowserBasher said:

Am I missing something but how do you play level 2,4 and 6? Also you can use the N64 controller to play this game.

I'd guess two player?

Tried the demo and it's fun and I do like this kind of puzzle game but not for £40

• Like 2

On 01/02/2024 at 9:10 PM, BowserBasher said:

Not tried the demo yet, but going by the format of the GBA game, I'm guessing this "selection" of levels specifically chooses these ones to better showcase the game for demo purposes.

In the actual game, you'll just play the levels in order.

EDIT: OK, now I've tried it. Feels just like the original, which is great! They got that spot on!
Although they competely got rid of the score, which I'm not keen on. The longevity of the game was helped by trying to beat the high scores on each level, now you're just judged on whether you get the presents. That's lame.

Music's great! The limited remixes I've heard so far are very jazzy and nice. I do wonder if the TV announcer in the intro (It's weird seeing that cutscene actually animated now) is literally the same voice clip as the GBA game. I think it is, but it's not being mangled by the GBA speakers, so I can't be certain.

I have played the original, so I'll likely wait for the eventual 30% sale, but anyone who hasn't, and has always wanted a sequel to Donkey Kong '94, should absolutely pick this up. It's a solid game.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Like 1

Wait? Really? The scoring system is completely gone? Is there not even a best time saved?

That’s a huge blow if so; aiming for high scores was one of the best parts of the original game!

I blinked and managed to complete the demo. Only one thing annoyed me about the movement was when walking off a platform I was expecting to travel forward a little further than I did, leading to a spiky death.

Actually two... Mario doesn't pull a pose after the handstand jump.

I think I will end up getting this at some point, but like Ashley won't be getting it full price. If they did a proper remake of '94 Donkey Kong... mama mia I'd be there so quick.

28 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Actually two... Mario doesn't pull a pose after the handstand jump.

Actually, he does. You just have to not move upon landing.

• Weird 1

11 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

right... I'm gonna have to go back. I shall return with the verdict

7 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Didn't work for me 😭

17 minutes ago, EEVILMURRAY said:

Didn't work for me 😭

It's literally in the overview trailer posted further up.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Ike said:

It's literally in the overview trailer posted further up.

I had a version to actually play, why would I watch the trailer?

That being said I did give it a little look whilst on the John and it seems he does it after a double jump (after seemingly skipping to the right moment), not just a handstand jump as I was originally mentioning.

Fuckin' love the gif though

Picked this up yesterday after work. Argos were selling it for £32 and figured I would give it a whirl. 4 hours from starting it and the credits rolled. :hmm:

GGhibm-asAECEzS?format=jpg&name=large

GGhibmlaEAA7OwG?format=jpg&name=large

I wasn't expecting the game to be that short or that easy. I played on the Classic difficulty setting, got a perfect rank on all stages and this is the first time I've played the game (played a lot of the sequels). The post-game stages may offer something more substantial but having played through the first 2 worlds of these this morning, I'm not too hopeful.

If you're a gamer who's not interested in getting 100% in a game or just play to see the credits, you are in for a very short experience with this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The "post game" is an entire set of 8 extra worlds (6 in the GBA original).  Seeing the credits is literally only half the entire running time.

This is a puzzle platformer.  8 hours is pretty lengthy for this kind of game.

That being said, the loss of the scoring system will pretty heavily impact the game's replay value; especially when compared to the original GBA version.

Edited by Dcubed

9 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

The "post game" is an entire set of 8 extra worlds (6 in the GBA original).  Seeing the credits is literally only half the entire running time.

Still not confident it's gonna be a decent length. I'm already halfway through the post game worlds. Pretty sure the DS/3DS games are longer than this.

EDIT: Plus, as a puzzle game, it seems devoid of any challenge.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Sign in to follow this