NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Pikmin 1 & 2 for Nintendo Switch (Digital - Available Today, Physical - 22nd September 2023)

Considering it's the first time these games are getting re-released in a minute, figured they deserved their own thread, following their shadow drop on the eShop after today's Direct and their planned physical release on 22nd September. 

£24.99 each or £39.99 for both. 

I just scrubbed through the US version of the Direct and it doesn't seem like they're getting the physical release? Which is curious. 

Anyways, now, with all the Pikmin games assembled on one console, think I'll finally dive in myself once the physical version releases! 

Edited by Julius
  • Thanks 1

Oh good, both Pikmin games are getting a physical release, I did wonder about that, as it didn't seem to be mentioned in the Direct.

Having said that, I did sell Pikmin 3, as I didn't really play it, and I don't own the GC originals any more, but if I did decide to get back into Pikmin, then I'd buy them on the Switch.

It's a great series, I just didn't play the games much after the first game, but being that Pikmin 4 seems to be more like the first game... it's tempting.

That first game though, felt like it took the right amount of time to complete, well worth playing, while the second game certainly offers more for your money.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

Oh good, both Pikmin games are getting a physical release, I did wonder about that, as it didn't seem to be mentioned in the Direct.

It's really odd. 

It even being announced was blink-and-you-miss-it in the Direct, tacked on to the Pikmin 4 update before quickly being moved on from, and the US version of the Direct only mentioned the digital release (so I'd assume they aren't getting it), whereas the UK version details the digital version shadow dropping today and the physical release in September. 

But still, blink-and-you-miss-it. They might be very successful but Nintendo sure don't make it easy for themselves at times :p

• Thanks 1

So... Pikmin 1 & 2 have now officially beaten Twilight Princess as the most re-released first party Gamecube game of all time now :D

Very nice to have all 4 Pikmin games on one console.  Will defo be copping this.

Wonder if it'll have gyro controls and GCN controller support...

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, S.C.G said:

I was wondering why you said it wasn't getting a physical release in the other thread.

Looks like the GCN/Wii NSO dream is dead.

They're gonna be doing GCN/Wii emulated standalone releases instead.

1 hour ago, Ike said:

I was wondering why you said it wasn't getting a physical release in the other thread.

Ah, it seems that it was only mentioned in one of the regional Direct videos, it got a mention in the UK stream, I was watching the US stream, as it's the first link I found.

Still, good to have the confirmation, all four Pikmin games available physically on one platform.

NoA have confirmed there will be a physical release after all. 

• Thanks 1

This is really good! I've never played Pikmin 2, so this suits me just fine!

I might pick this up, I really loved the first game but don't think I ever really could get into the second one so may be a good time to go back. I think it will all depend on how much I enjoy Pikmin 4.

40 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

I might pick this up, I really loved the first game but don't think I ever really could get into the second one so may be a good time to go back. I think it will all depend on how much I enjoy Pikmin 4.

Pretty ironic considering that Pikmin 4 appears to be taking after Pikmin 2 more than 1 or 3.

35 minutes ago, Dcubed said:

Pretty ironic considering that Pikmin 4 appears to be taking after Pikmin 2 more than 1 or 3.

I know. I just hope it can win me over. 

I will probably pick up the physical when it releases. Had the eShop releases been £19.99 each or £34.99 for both I may have been tempted, but it seems a bit steep at the current price, especially as they are super bare-bones remasters. 

That said, they DO offer the New Play Controls pointers from the Wii version too, which is tempting. I recently binged on Dophin though, so I will likely hold off. I'm still absolutely pumped to pick up 4 later in July!

I’ve long wanted them to re-release Pikmin 1 and 2, so I’m very happy that’s exactly what they’re doing. I only played through Pikmin 3 Deluxe last month so I’ll probably pick these up later in the year. 

btw, Nintendo Japan added a bunch of Pikmin items to their store today. I especially like this pikmin shaped ice cube maker lol

016.webp
015.webp

https://topics.nintendo.co.jp/article/b587ff4f-57ad-41c1-bf1a-2f350ea68649

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 22/06/2023 at 8:02 PM, Josh64 said:

I will probably pick up the physical when it releases. Had the eShop releases been £19.99 each or £34.99 for both I may have been tempted, but it seems a bit steep at the current price, especially as they are super bare-bones remasters. 

That said, they DO offer the New Play Controls pointers from the Wii version too, which is tempting. I recently binged on Dophin though, so I will likely hold off. I'm still absolutely pumped to pick up 4 later in July!

I couldn't wait any longer. Played about an hour of 1 so far and loved every second. How is this game 22 years old? It still looks frickin' gorgeous.

The Forest of Hope music still makes me teary eyed, and I kind of love the dumb details they have in 1, such as Pikmin falling flat on their faces and getting left out of the herd, or being dumb and just getting stuck on corners, and thus sitting down and chilling by themselves. Stuff that obviously for the benefit of the gameplay was fixed in later titles, but weirdly gives the Pikmin themselves a bit more personality early on. 

I'm heading into the caves now, which I remember really struggling with when I was younger, because my dumb ass took far too long to realise red Pikmin are immune to fire. Honestly, how I survived up to this point of my life while being this dense I don't know lol. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

23 hours ago, Josh64 said:

or being dumb and just getting stuck on corners, and thus sitting down and chilling by themselves.

We've all been there

• Haha 1

Awesome! Hope you’re enjoying it!

I remember enjoying the original Pikmin and then Pikmin 2 came out and improved on just about every aspect!  It’s sales figures never really reflected it’s quality, so while I can’t see it being a massive seller on Switch, but it’ll be interesting to see how these remasters sell on Switch.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WackerJr said:

Awesome! Hope you’re enjoying it!

I remember enjoying the original Pikmin and then Pikmin 2 came out and improved on just about every aspect!  It’s sales figures never really reflected it’s quality, so while I can’t see it being a massive seller on Switch, but it’ll be interesting to see how these remasters sell on Switch.

Yeah, I've always enjoyed 1, had it back in the day on my GameCube! I got 3 Deluxe on a whim last year and LOVED it. The story mode was great but the missions are what really made it for me. I got platinum rank on all of them (eventually) and loved the challenge of it, and especially loved managing the 3 characters at once.

I never played 2, so I look forward to getting into that after this playthrough of the first game! 

• Like 1

I have 29 ship parts! For the first time I also plucked up (lol) the courage to approach the egg and let it hatch! It went about as well as you could expect:

I got to the Final Trial late the other night and decided to leave it for another day as I had to be up early lol. Hopefully I get time to tackle it today! I have a buffer of around 9 or 10 in-game days to do it so should be fine lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

BUT, I am loving the caves now, and the game in general.

Ok so I enjoy the game overall BUT some of the later caves were ABSURD and definitely soured me a bit lol, I can see why the game has a reputation lol

There were certain floors that felt like Mario Maker levels as the enemies, trick bombs and crazy amount of random bosses was just silly lol. But overall it was a blast and I managed the Impossible without quite pulling all my hair out

20230724_161606.thumb.jpg.c9a94659b2c5d27ace5b78eff6b3e34d.jpg

Edited by Josh64
  • Thanks 1

Sign in to follow this