NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Super Mario Bros. Wonder (20th October 2023)

Goodbye generic art style of New Super Mario Bros., and hello Wonder! 

Looks gorgeous and like it has a fair few fresh ideas! 

Edited by Julius

The new art style and animation does look great.

Not interested in another 2D Mario game personally but some interesting stuff in there. And nice not to see two Toads!

The internet is going to have things to say (and make) about this:

• Thanks 1

Looks fun but man, they were tripping when they came up with this! That might be good for the series, though. 

It's NSMB... but on DRUUUUUUUUUGGGGGSSSS!!! :D

touch-fuzzy-get-dizzy-trippy.gif

An accurate depiction of the development process behind this game

Edited by Dcubed

2 hours ago, MindFreak said:

Looks fun but man, they were tripping when they came up with this! That might be good for the series, though. 

Was my exact thought too. It does look like it could be hilarious though.

I was actually in a mood for a 2D Mario so this is perfect timing (apart from being 4 months away).

It's been a very long time since 2D Mario caught my attention. I hadn't realised it, but Mario needed something like this. This is looking excellent.

I adore the elephant.

Mario, you can't just run diagonally like that, you're gonna trip.

Daisy's finally done it, she finally wormed her way back into a proper 2D platformer. Gotta admire that hustle.

I'm getting the impression Yoshi's not a playable character. More of a power up. Oh well.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Glen-i said:

I'm getting the impression Yoshi's not a playable character. More of a power up. Oh well.

His face is in the character list in the top left, unlike other power ups. Could be an actual character but maybe other players can jump on and let the Yoshi player control them?

11 minutes ago, Ashley said:

His face is in the character list in the top left, unlike other power ups. Could be an actual character but maybe other players can jump on and let the Yoshi player control them?

But why do none of the other characters have special abilities? No float for Peach for example.

And there's multiple Yoshies at one point, I'm betting it's a transformation power up, that changes the HUD during the effect.

Edited by Glen-i

But the elephant, stretchy and rock ball thing don't have icons. 

Maybe the other characters do have special abilities that we've just not seen. 

1 minute ago, Ashley said:

But the elephant, stretchy and rock ball thing don't have icons. 

Maybe the other characters do have special abilities that we've just not seen. 

Everyone jumps the same height as Mario does, so it's definitely not a 3D World style thing going on here.

Oh yeah but they could have new special abilities. 

15 minutes ago, Ashley said:

Oh yeah but they could have new special abilities. 

Thinking about it, there's also the possibility that Yoshi functions similar to Nabbit in NSMB U, a character who acts as an easy mode. Flutter Jump would make platforming easier compared to the rest of the cast.
Anyway, what irritates me the most is that Buckenberry got shafted for that loser Aligold.

No one likes Aligold!

• Thanks 1

Absolutely loving the look of this! :bouncy:

Been a long, long time since a surprise reveal in a Nintendo Direct really got my attention. I've so missed that feeling of being instantly hyped by a brand new Nintendo game. :grin:

The attention to detail in the characters and their animations is so good! You can tell they wanted to emphasise that aspect in the trailer by the fact there were multiple cuts to zoomed-in footage throughout. It looks really great. :cool:

Towards the end of the vid I was also thinking how cool it would be if Nintendo were to make Wonder available as a DLC theme for Super Mario Maker 2. Probably more likely they'd hold that back for a 3rd Mario Maker at this point though.

But yeah, I finally have another Nintendo game to look forward to! :yay:

Zelda TotK will continue to keep me entertained (and actually using my Switch) in the meantime. ;)

• Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

Thinking about it, there's also the possibility that Yoshi functions similar to Nabbit in NSMB U, a character who acts as an easy mode. Flutter Jump would make platforming easier compared to the rest of the cast.

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at here

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Could be an actual character but maybe other players can jump on and let the Yoshi player control them?

23 minutes ago, RedShell said:

The attention to detail in the characters and their animations is so good! You can tell they wanted to emphasise that aspect in the trailer by the fact there were multiple cuts to zoomed-in footage throughout. It looks really great. :cool:

Towards the end of the vid I was also thinking how cool it would be if Nintendo were to make Wonder available as a DLC theme for Super Mario Maker 2. Probably more likely they'd hold that back for a 3rd Mario Maker at this point though.

Just seen this which makes a nice point:

I can't see this coming to any Mario Maker though. The variety of things in place seems like it would be out of scope as it's specific to this game, so wouldn't work on other art styles. Which I know they did a bit for the NSMB style but seems more extreme here? The art style alone would be nice, but then would feel a bit like a half-fulfilled promise. 

• Like 1

Spoiler

The guy on the right is Prince Haru, a character who's from the very old Mario anime movie.

They wouldn't, would they? They're not possibly going for that deep a cut, are they!?

Although, that Wiggler like creature hanging around with Mario is very suspicious now.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

Charles Martinet has been the original voice of Mario in Nintendo games for a long time, as far back as Super Mario 64. Charles is now moving into the brand new role of Mario Ambassador. With this transition, he will be stepping back from recording character voices for our games, but he'll continue to travel the world sharing the joy of Mario and interacting with you all!

It has been an honour working with Charles to help bring Mario to life for so many years and we want to thank and celebrate him. Please keep an eye out for a special video message from Shigeru Miyamoto and Charles himself, which we will post at a future date.

Charles Martinet is no longer doing character voices. :cry:

No confirmation if he did the voices in Wonder it not.

• Sad 4

Horrible news :(

I swear to God, they had better not be replacing him with Chris Pratt...

• Sad 2

Sad news but it seems like it was at least partly Charles' decision. Won't be quite the same without him voicing Mario and the gang though 

I would be very, very surprised if they do cast Pratt in future Mario games, besides his voice being off he would also command too high a few for Nintendo to even consider it an option so I think we'll be safe from that hell becoming a reality 

That's a shame. Had to happen at some point though... or did it? :hmm:

It would've been really cool if Nintendo and Charles Martinet came to an agreement whereby they could've continued to use "his voice" via AI indefinitely.
I mean that kind of tech is definitely capable enough now:

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

Another example:

Crazy stuff. :o

• Haha 2

I'm going to assume they have enough soundbites that they can use of him doing Mario for a time being in any upcoming games. If not, I guess they will either have an alternative VA already in the works that can imitate the voice, or Mario will suddenly change to using another random language or dialect in all games.

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I swear to God, they had better not be replacing him with Chris Pratt...

Unfortunately, I'm not even sure that would be the worst outcome here. 

There's no way Nintendo are going to resort to using the existing sound files they have as input for AI to voice Mario...right? @RedShell seems to be a fan of the idea (I mean I'm not totally against it, it would go further in immortalising Martinet's voice if the AI were to be generated using his voice, even more so if they credited the AI voice as being based on Charles Martinet's) but I imagine that would cause a lot of heated debate, especially if they did make the change for a game releasing in a few months and not whatever's next for everyone's favourite plumber. As if we need further heated AI debates! 

It's been a hot topic as of late, obviously (everything going on in Hollywood, some game studios seemingly starting to jump on it for voice acting, etc.), but I didn't even think about it until @BowserBasher typed out what I thought would probably be the case (reusing existing sound assets from Martinet). Through his retirement or eventual passing (touch wood that that's not for a long time yet), and especially with the simplicity of Mario's "voice" (at least in the games), it does seem exactly like the sort of stereotypical case big wigs want to use AI for. Or say they want to. I can never tell with those guys. 

But they wouldn't dare? ...would they? 

Edited by Julius

Nah, they'll probably just get a sound-alike in.  This isn't the first time they've recast one of their characters and it won't be the last.

Edit:  It won't be long until we find out who's voicing Mario & Luigi...

As for who will now voice Mario (or the many others typically voiced by Martinet), Nintendo said, "Character voice actors will be credited in the game credits, so please wait for the game to be released."

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this