N-Europe

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack: N64 & SEGA Mega Drive (& GBA!!)

Julius

custom-df5c40de-3ff3-47ef-bdfa-2090bd4d4f2a-640x360.jpeg

Mario Party on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack - N-Europe Multiplayer (02/08/2024)

- - - - -

custom-9d1d906b-3803-4557-817c-8b73b772142f-640x360.jpeg

Perfect Dark on the Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack - N-Europe Multiplayer (02/08/2024)

Thanks for the games. :peace:

• Thanks 1

GUAi64nXkAAY9hG?format=jpg&name=large

He did it, he won a game in Mario Party 1!

I've said it before, Mario Party 1's Warp Block is an absolute menace!

It showed up 6 times today! It wasn't once helpful to the person who had to use it! But @Dcubed's unfortunate moment above was the beginning of his downfall. It all went wrong for him after that.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I now retire from Mario Party 1. It took 79 years but I finally  won a game. I got lucky when @S.C.G got a warp block to land right by a star but I managed to get both a shortcut and enough to get that star. Then a double whammy with Boo stealing from @Glen-i and a star right after. 

PD was fun. Always gonna find it funny that people are more scared of a poison knife than a rocket launcher. 

• Haha 2

Secret Agent done!

dxgvYeA.jpg

YEAAAHH!!!!

Got every Agent & Secret Agent cheat so far, including completion of the Firing Range with every weapon...

NpDdWy6.jpg

Do wish you could use these in multiplayer... even if they are a bit rubbish.  It's the one thing I liked about the Xbox version

Just Perfect Agent left to go now, and then all of the Combat Simulator Challenges.  We going for 100% completion baybee! :D

Oh? And just in case you're wondering?

4Qbty8k.jpg

No cheats were used in the making of these cheats

No save states used.  All done the old fashioned way! (By watching some speedrun strats on Youtube and using them to figure out the quickest paths through each level.  You know, like how we did it back in 2000 ;))

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Nice job @Dcubed, if you can do Perfect Agent and all cheats on there without save states then you’ve done more than me. I think I got about halfway through PA when I had to start using save states. 
I’m currently doing the co op mode with the sim buddies (which are crap, they get killed within a few minutes) and I still have one cheat left to get. 

21 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I'm currently doing the co op mode with the sim buddies (which are crap, they get killed within a few minutes)

So, no change from playing it with me there then.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Glen-i said:

So, no change from playing it with me there then.

Hey at least they don’t set the alarms off. “Ooh a red button”.

Putting Enemy Rocket cheat on makes the game verge on impossible. It’s fun to mess around with cheats and Perfect Dark mode. 

19 minutes ago, BowserBasher said:

Hey at least they don’t set the alarms off. “Ooh a red button”.

Putting Enemy Rocket cheat on makes the game verge on impossible. It’s fun to mess around with cheats and Perfect Dark mode. 

A fun challenge would be to see if you can beat the game with all of the custom difficulty settings whacked up to max (the ones you unlock from beating Perfect Agent) while kitting yourself out with cheats.

Cheater vs Cheater mode :D

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dcubed said:

A fun challenge would be to see if you can beat the game with all of the custom difficulty settings whacked up to max (the ones you unlock from beating Perfect Agent) while kitting yourself out with cheats.

Cheater vs Cheater mode :D

Oh wasn’t there a term for that in GoldenEye? I’m sure I’ve seen someone play that through with those settings. Well enemy health was lowest, enemy damage maxed so it was one hit kills all round and their accuracy was 100%.

I’m assuming we can’t have invincible cheat on, but that does sound interesting. Shield and cloaking would come in handy. 

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

Oh wasn’t there a term for that in GoldenEye? I’m sure I’ve seen someone play that through with those settings. Well enemy health was lowest, enemy damage maxed so it was one hit kills all round and their accuracy was 100%.

Yeah, the Goldeneye speedrunning community call it “Dark License To Kill”.  Basically maxed-out health/damage settings on the highest difficulty.  Though they try to beat it without cheats on (which is almost impossible!), I wouldn’t dare try it without cheats!

2 hours ago, BowserBasher said:

I’m assuming we can’t have invincible cheat on, but that does sound interesting. Shield and cloaking would come in handy. 

Yeah, Invincibility would probably trivialise the challenge, but otherwise I think having all the other cheats available would make it quite fun!

I’d be up for trying it in co-op at some point once we’ve both unlocked everything :D

Edited by Dcubed
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Dcubed said:

I’d be up for trying it in co-op at some point once we’ve both unlocked everything

I’ll be up for that. Ok so I’ve only one buddy cheat to unlock so just let me know when you want to give it a go. 

Got a free space tomorrow for NSO shenanigans. If anyone wants in, give us a shout. And if you have a specific game you want to play, let us know.

We normally play around 8-ish, even if @S.C.G won't be around until 8:30-ish.

22 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Got a free space tomorrow for NSO shenanigans. If anyone wants in, give us a shout. And if you have a specific game you want to play, let us know.

We normally play around 8-ish, even if @S.C.G won't be around until 8:30-ish.

It's looking like it'll be three of us playing NSO games this evening, any idea on what game we might be starting with?

19 minutes ago, S.C.G said:

It's looking like it'll be three of us playing NSO games this evening, any idea on what game we might be starting with?

Seeing as we haven't played it in a while, and Cube recently playing it got @BowserBasher in the mood, I'm thinking a round of Mario Golf, and Perfect Dark afterwards?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So, I've started playing PMD: Red Rescue Team last night. I've never played the GBA version before, mostly because the DS version makes this a poor choice, but DS NSO doesn't exist yet, which makes it the only way to play the original games on Switch. So now's a perfect chance for me to fill in that gap and secretly justify to myself that I was right about questioning why people would ever get the GBA version over the DS one. Here are some of the things that are more then a little awkward:

• The obvious one is that there's no second screen, so you don't have somewhere to put the map or your team status. If you want a map, you have to use an overlay, and you have to open a menu to see other Pokémon's HP.
  • There's no X or Y button, so there's some interesting compromises for some controls. In every other PMD, you rotate your Pokémon on the spot by holding Y and choosing a direction. Here? You press Start! It's so bizarre! And you don't hold it, pressing start toggles "Rotate Mode", and pressing it again deactivates it. Thankfully, I found out that tapping R does the same thing (Holding R lets you move exclusively diagonally, as usual). But my muscle memory is messing me up because the Pro controller has a Y button, so I instinctively press it and then accidentally take a step because Y does nothing!
  • GBA NSO actually button maps the X button to function as a B button, which in a lucky break, means that it opens the menu, just like the DS version. Unlike the DS version, pressing X twice doesn't open up the move menu quickly, it just backs out of the menu like a B button would.
  • Oh man, the music! I was obviously expecting a downgrade here, but some of the songs get utterly mangled by the GBA sound chip! The amazing soundtrack does not deserve this!
  • The game tends to start struggling when around 8 enemy Pokémon are on a floor at once. The poor GBA is trying to program all the AI of those enemies, and it causes frame hitches when you take a step. To be fair, the DS version also has this problem, but it tends to happen when there's, like, 30 enemies at once.
  • The lovely little conversation portraits Pokémon have are the same size as the DS version's. They obviously didn't want to do two different versions of all those, but it means they take up a lot more of the GBA screen space. Not really a bad thing, just an interesting quirk.

EDIT: Just remembered that Miiverse was archived, so because I posted on that way too much. I've got visual proof of that last bit.

GUozbxBWIAABnDa?format=jpg&name=small

WVW69i4pAok1-dffkP

See what I mean? Both games use the same sprites, so the DS one looks a lot less cluttered, even without the second screen. I've now also noticed that the field of view is a bit larger on the DS version.

Edited by Glen-i
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, Glen-i said:

Right, I believe we have a spare spot going for N64/GBA NSO shenanigans tonight. Does anyone here want in?
Should be playing at 8:30-ish.

Four Swords? 👀

1 hour ago, Glen-i said:

And here I was thinking we wouldn't pull it off!

Yeah, I'm sure we'll be up for that.

Just gonna shout out @S.C.G. We're good to go for Four Swords tonight at 8:30!

Yeah... I mean, I'm here now but it's gone 9pm... any good still? I probably won't attempt to stream as I haven't sorted that out yet, I might be able to get the stream running tomorrow in time for Smash at least. ::shrug:

Just now, S.C.G said:

Yeah... I mean, I'm here now but it's gone 9pm... any good still? I probably won't attempt to stream as I haven't sorted that out yet, I might be able to get the stream running tomorrow in time for Smash at least. ::shrug:

Yup, we just finished a stage, now's the perfect time.

• Thanks 1