NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2021/22

I know it's been doing the rounds the last few weeks, but now that it's official...

giphy.webp?cid=6c09b952b775547c0d798685c

• Haha 1

Following on from Dr Cox's reaction....

Dude is so overrated. 

This Netherlands v Portugal game has been outstanding. It could go either way.

I'm just counting down to when that Man City lot start back peddling on him being world-class now he's been moved on.

England manager says she wants to avoid changing the team too much to keep momentum up and Kenny Shiels wants NI to take it to England. It's going to be 25-1 isn't it.

• Haha 1

I imagine some of the England players would be unhappy about being dropped, especially if they are in the running for the Golden Boot.

I watched the France game yesterday evening. It was pretty good. I was expecting them to dominate but it really never happened. The pen was never a pen though and was happy to see it saved.

Yeah, just the thought of golden boot aspirations has me dreading tonight. Cricket score incoming.

First up is Liverpool v Crystal Palace. Maybe that's a conversation for the 22/23 thread. :p 

The Pool are going with a stronger starting XI than the other day against Man U where they must have used ~30 players over the 90 mins as they rotated the team every half hour. Man U were 10 days further ahead in their preparations and looked a bit more settled, plus they want to show their worth to the new manager. No Diogo or Becker today, and I think I heard them mention someone else--either Joe (Gomez) or Joel (Matip)? Jurgen's still going to chop and change but it's not going to be a game of three halves like the other day. Maybe see a bit more structure at the back today as they work the cobwebs off.

Not sure what to expect from Palace. Hopefully see a decent kickabout where the promise of things to come shines through.

Sarina Wiegman has tested positive for COVID, obviously won't be able to manage in person tonight but given England have already qualified it isn't too inconvenient but it does throw a spanner in the works for QF preparation. Hopefully she tests negative before Wednesday, would be a bit of a psychological blow not to have her in the technical area for the QF.

I was surprised by the French performance last night, the first five minutes or so it looked like they were going to destroy Belgium but in the end they were lucky to get away with the 3pts. That penalty from Renard was atrocious on all fronts, shouldn't have been given in the first place but thankfully it was such a tame penalty that the Belgian keeper easily saved it. 

1 hour ago, darksnowman said:

Maybe that's a conversation for the 22/23 thread. :p 

Well, the German second league starts tonight. IT'S OFFICIALLY FOOTBALL SEASON 2022/23. :D 

Edited by drahkon

Salah all smiles having ousted Sadio and succeeded in securing his pay rise. Just bagged a deflected goal.

12 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Sarina Wiegman has tested positive for COVID, obviously won't be able to manage in person tonight but given England have already qualified it isn't too inconvenient but it does throw a spanner in the works for QF preparation. Hopefully she tests negative before Wednesday, would be a bit of a psychological blow not to have her in the technical area for the QF.

.Hadn't heard that. They'll be hoping it doesn't destabilise them for the knock-out rounds.

9 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Well, the German second league starts tonight. IT'S OFFICIALLY FOOTBALL SEASON 2022/23. :D 

A lot of the players there going to be called up for the World Cup or what. :p 

It's been a decent first half. NI played so well up until the goal went in. It was good that it was close to halftime because I imagine it would have continued to go downhill for them had they not had a break and been able to regroup.

Very glad that pen shout early on in the game go turned over. No way it a pen when one of the England players had handballed it first.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

It was good that it was close to halftime because I imagine it would have continued to go downhill for them had they not had a break and been able to regroup.

Clearly the break done sod all to help them. Two minutes in and another goal is scored.

Yeah, NI were solid until Kirby scored, they even looked quite dangerous on the break but the two quick goals at the end of the first half looked to have broken their spirit a bit. Could get quite ugly for them, Russo looks like she's on a mission to get into the starting 11, feel sorry for the NI keeper as she's been great so far

I had basically given up hope of England getting back into the game - what a priceless goal! Go and and win it now!

3 minutes ago, killthenet said:

I had basically given up hope of England getting back into the game - what a priceless goal! Go and and win it now!

Yeah, they haven't been great at all this evening. Constantly on the back foot. They looked a bit like they did in the opening game.

I still think Spain will go on to win it. Easily the better team on the night.

The yellow card to the Spanish player on the bench was hilarious. She just wouldn't shut up. :D 

Georgia fookin' Stanway! 

Spain already causing problems again, hopey England's newfound confidence wil see them through but it's bound to get nervy before the final whistle.

Can't keep letting them get down the flanks 

Fantastic show of character from the team. They were battered for most of the match but once the equalizer went in they got their heads up and pushed on for the win. Amazing stuff.

Dug deep and managed to pull themselves back from the brink but they definitely need to improve in the semi final. I was very impressed with Spain, they played miles better than they did in the group stage, they should have doubled their lead but fortunately England were able to keep it to one goal and just about get back into it. 

Go Germany :D 

Well deserved. Should've locked it down earlier, the ladies were a bit unlucky at times.

Semi-final will be a banger against either France or Netherlands :peace: 

It was a very strange game. Germany had multiple chance to kill it off but Austria also hit the bar a stupid amount of times. That last goal was hilarious though. There were already warning signs that it was going to happen and then it did. :D 

Gotta imagine Germany will be playing France in the semi finals. I would love the Netherlands to do them over though. 

30 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I would love the Netherlands to do them over though. 

the-office-michael-scott.gif

Wait, you'd rather play France over the Netherlands? I thought it would have been the other way around.