NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2021/22

It's the Europa League Final tonight :bouncy: 

I'll be rooting for Eintracht Frankfurt. I like that team and their fanbase, especially what they do in international games.

Thanks for the reminder. I didn't realise it was on tonight! 

I'll be rooting for Rangers. It's amazing what they've achieved in this competition and I'd love to see them lift the trophy.

Still weirded out by the decision to schedule the Europa League final ahead of the Europa Conference League final rather than it being the other way around, but hey, it's football, so I'll watch :p

Rangers have done a great job of turning their ship well and truly around the last few years, whereas Frankfurt have a stellar fanbase and it was fun seeing them tear Barça apart in the semis, so I'll probably be rooting for Frankfurt seeing as I've watched them more :D either way, hopefully it should be an exciting match, neither side is really an underdog so hopefully that helps them let loose and really go for it!

Hunger levels of that Liverpool team last night was something else. That win was coming one way or another... not that Southampton showed much ambition after their goal that VAR should have intervened in... Thought Soton would be up for it but getting 40 points seems to be enough for them. ::shrug: 

Steve Gerrard better have his team off the beach and revved up on the final day. McAllister... Coutinho... Ings... any other ex-Pool players on the Villa books? Glad there's so much riding on the final day.

Would be incredible if the Gers do it tonight. From down the leagues to Europa League final. :o Great achievement. Tonight could be one set of German opposition too far for them and heat will probably also be a factor what with it being in Seville. As long as the best team win and it's not marred by stupid refereeing decisions.

1 minute ago, darksnowman said:

Hunger levels of that Liverpool team last night was something else. That win was coming one way or another... not that Southampton showed much ambition after their goal that VAR should have intervened in... Thought Soton would be up for it but getting 40 points seems to be enough for them. ::shrug: 

Steve Gerrard better have his team off the beach and revved up on the final day. McAllister... Coutinho... Ings... any other ex-Pool players on the Villa books? Glad there's so much riding on the final day.

I'm expecting Stevie G to come on the pitch himself to score the winning goal, followed by Villa fans singing YNWA. 

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm expecting Stevie G to come on the pitch himself to score the winning goal, followed by Villa fans singing YNWA. 

Would go down in folklore if he's involved with a fast throw-in or something like Arteta the other week. :laughing: Or a free-kick out of the Gary Mac playbook.

• Haha 1

Also rooting for Rangers, if they can win tonight it would be massive for Scottish football - just by reaching the final they've done wonders for the co-efficient and raising the profile of the Scottish club game but to actually go on and win the thing would be incredible. Especially when you consider where Rangers have been over the last 10 years, from administration and starting again in the lower divisions to now being on the brink of a major European trophy - its an amazing turnaround. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'll be rooting for Rangers.

7 minutes ago, killthenet said:

Also rooting for Rangers

21 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Would be incredible if the Gers do it tonight.

giphy.gif?cid=790b76110b96934756135847110e0af8dc16dc091d23c39e&rid=giphy.gif&ct=g
:p 

• Haha 1
  • Weird 1

I feel like that should be a red. It won't be because it's a final and it's so early - probably down to nerves, definitely not malicious - but that was clearly very dangerous.

Peter Walton chiming in to remind us that he's an idiot. Also, someone should've told the Frankfurt team doc to pull up his joggers... :p

Edited by Julius

1 minute ago, Julius said:

I feel like that should be a red. It won't be because it's a final and it's so early (probably down to nerves), but that was clearly very dangerous.

Yeah, had that been later on in the game then it would have been a straight red. He's been very lucky to get away with it.

2 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, had that been later on in the game then it would have been a straight red. He's been very lucky to get away with it.

Yeah, definitely. Even more egregious is not getting a card at all, I mean not even a yellow? He was stretching that much - and his leg was that high - you'd think he was in a Thursday morning yoga session rather than the Europa League final! 

Everyone on the pitch looks knackered. Not sure if either team has the energy to get a goal. I imagine pens will be on the cards here.

What a freaking save from Trapp! (EDIT: twice, the potential tap-in and free kick!)

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Everyone on the pitch looks knackered. Not sure if either team has the energy to get a goal. I imagine pens will be on the cards here.

Absolutely, I'm honestly getting a little tired watching them :laughing: been a very stop-start final, a lot of it down to the physicality. I think the lack of energy as the game has gone on due to fatigue is one of very few downsides to having two sides who don't often go deep in Europe coming face-to-face, and neither side being all that fitter than the other. 

Edited by Julius

Can't remember the last time managers have come up to shake hands and thanks the refs while waiting for the coin toss, that definitely added some tension! 

4 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Some cracking pens being taken here.

Great set of penalties honestly, great to see :D

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Welsh guy screws over Scotland. :D 

"Aaron Ramsey was brought in to produce big moments"

Everyone: oh he missing

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Julius said:

"Aaron Ramsey was brought in to produce big moments"

Everyone: oh he missing

Total spite-miss after not being given more minutes.

23 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Congrats, @drahkon.

Not sure if it's the right term but:

giphy.webp

:p 

It's not like I'm a fan of Eintracht Frankfurt, though :D I do like 'em and am very happy for them :peace: 

That was a cracking penalty shootout. Some incredible pens :o