NEurope
Julius

Football Season 2021/22

15 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Wait, you'd rather play France over the Netherlands?

You know what? I misread your previous post.
I thought you wanted the Netherlands to do us over. Hence the gif.

Sorry :p 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, darksnowman said:

Sooo are France gonna put the ball in the goal or... what?

It's been a crazy game. How they aren't up by a few goals at this point is beyond me. 

I was amazed by how one sided that game was, France definitely deserved to go through but they should have done in 90mins really - there was some decent last ditch Dutch defending at times but France had more than enough clear cut chances to put the game to bed. 

The QF's overall were much nervier affairs than I expected, Germany had the most convincing win but even then Austria caused them plenty of problems and it could easily have gone to extra time if Austria hadn't messed about playing out from the back. Sweden and France were obviously the better sides in their matches but they were so wasteful, if England or Germany had played Belgium or the Netherlands then the scoreline would have been pretty emphatic.

Amazing strike by Mead. Sweden have been all over us but we finally managed to break through.

Yeah, Sweden really put the pressure on from the kick off but England have definitely grown into the game. 

Fantastic move in the lead up to the goal but that turn and shot from Mead was incredible. I think England will get more opportunities but Sweden will always be dangerous so it'll be interesting to see how they start in the second half.

1 minute ago, killthenet said:

Sweden will always be dangerous so it'll be interesting to see how they start in the second half.

Indeed. We need another goal just for a cushion. There's still a lot of belief in the Sweden team.

Don't think the Swedes' heads will drop, let's see if they can get the breakthrough. It's the semi so they will go for it. England will have to show they're worth their spot in the final.

3 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Should have been 3! What a crazy miss.

I think there was too much pace on the cross and Hemp almost connected with it too well - might have been better if she'd got studs on it instead 

Fantastic second half from the Lionesses. They weathered the storm in the first half and then went up a gear in the second. 

Whoever wins between France and Germany, it will be a hard game for England. 

9 hours ago, darksnowman said:

They play with heart, togetherness and humility. 

Indeed. I said before the tournament that they play with a passion that is missing from the blokes team and throughout the Euros they have shown this. Even when they score they never seem to settle and are constantly hungry for more and when they are struggling they don't let their heads drop but rather they dig deep to find a way. Spain battered them for the best part of the game but they held on for the win and it was the same during the first half of last nights game. They kept their composure, searched for opportunities and ultimately it paid off. Even if they don't bring home the trophy, the women have done themselves proud and their progress in this competition will do wonders for the women's game at a grassroots level in this country.

I will say that I am disappointed in the amount of coverage from the media, especially the papers, that the women have been getting. Sure, it's all over the papers now that they are in the final but the performance throughout the whole tournament has been outstanding and had it been the blokes that had been battering these teams, then it would have been front page news every time it happened. Now it's as if they are just jumping on the bandwagon.

Really looking forward to tonight's game. Both teams are going to be difficult to play against but I think I'd rather play Germany. I think they will be the harder of the two teams but there's always a bit a rivalry between the two nations when football is involved and I want @drahkon to have someone to support in the final. :) 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I want @drahkon to have someone to support in the final. :) 

Even if we don't make it, I'll have someone to support in the final.

NOT ENGLAND.

Just kidding, if le lose tonight I'll be rooting for England :peace: 

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Indeed. I said before the tournament that they play with a passion that is missing from the blokes team and throughout the Euros they have shown this.

I watched a documentary on them a few years ago when P Nev was at the helm and they seemed like a decent bunch. Just wanted to knuckle down and improve to get the best out of themselves that they could.

Stark contrast to the men who think they've won everything before a ball's been kicked.

1 hour ago, drahkon said:

Even if we don't make it, I'll have someone to support in the final.

NOT ENGLAND.

Quite right. That's snapped me out of it. Anyone but England! :yay: 

2 hours ago, drahkon said:

Just kidding, if le lose tonight I'll be rooting for England :peace: 

Noooo.