NEurope
Dcubed

Dragon Quest Treasures

29 minutes ago, Ike said:

I found some in The Snouterhorn, but was only able to get them down to half health before they fled.

I managed to take down a few in a portal/arena battle but that's only because they had nowhere to run. :D

15 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Apparently the game is around 20-30 hours long. Yeah, I can see me putting a lot more hours into it than that. I'm nearly 10 hours in and have yet to pick up one of the 7 artifacts you need for the main quest. I'm having too much fun just running around finding treasure and doing sidequests.

One negative point I have is the lack of Zoom. It would have been nice if you could use Zoom and fly straight back to base, especially with how often you need to return. Sure, you can use a Chimera Wing but those are in very short supply and don't appear to be for sale in any of the shops.

My progress has been slow as I've just been pottering about in it so I can see myself being on the upper limit of that but it's refreshing to hear this isn't a game demanding 100+ hours. 

Zoom is something I figured would be coming. Still hope that to be the case. 

12 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

A couple of codes have been released.

I'll be getting these in. Just thought the codes would be item packages, never considered they'd be used to distribute monsters. :yay: 

5 hours ago, Ike said:

I found some in The Snouterhorn, but was only able to get them down to half health before they fled.

I got an encounter as a reward for sending the other group off (Erik in that case). Not even sure we even landed a hit before it fled. Wonder if there will be pellets geared towards metal slime hunting or what kind of monsters to stock up with for them.

uc?export=view&id=1CmBAxbYYv5sGWlCCrsgGd

My man here thought he was a bat for a second. Since it was on the freezeframe for the treasure reveal I had to snap a pic. :laughing: 

• Like 1

I've had a decent session on this today and got my rank up a few times.

FkXzj1WaMAA9V6j?format=jpg&name=large

There's so much to do that it can be quite overwhelming at times. Main quests, recruiting monsters, treasure hunting, fending off attacks, sidequests, defending your base...its hard to keep on top of it all!

Picked up a few iconic level treasures, with this being my favourite so far.

FkXzUK0aMAAgTEe?format=jpg&name=large

Love it. I've placed it front and centre in my base. I had to defend it earlier as one of the rival groups were trying to nick it. 

FkXzj1MaUAAxQ7u?format=jpg&name=large

Earlier, I was going through all my monsters and I had a good laugh when I seen one of the names.

FkXzj1HaUAAYo5x?format=jpg&name=large

During my travels I came across this fella.

FkXzUKkakAA7ZWd?format=jpg&name=large

I tried getting a critical hit but it spotted me. Thankfully, it never ran away and I brought home the win and a stupid amount of exp.

FkXzUK3aAAAOUQP?format=jpg&name=large

There's actually a bonfire very close by to this area. It may take a few tries but you can respawn the Metal King Slime by resting. It was here, nearly 15 hours in, that I realised that your monsters have special moves to use.

FkXzUKjaUAALnB6?format=jpg&name=large

Nightmare fuel!:laughing:

Needless to say I'm hanging around here for a bit of grinding.

I quite like the online features the game has. Finding treasure that other players have hidden is a great way to make money and exp. They are easy to find as well...most of the time.

FkXzj1EagAAfGuo?format=jpg&name=large

Took me ages to figure out where it was! :D

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Ike said:

Nice. I had a Metal Slime from the portal join me yesterday.

Sweet. I've not came across any more of the standard Metal Slime enemies in ages. Have you put it in your team?

4 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

Sweet. I've not came across any more of the standard Metal Slime enemies in ages. Have you put it in your team?

Not at the minute, I'm using those 2 gift monsters at the moment.

This afternoon, I defeated the last boss and watched the credits roll. 

Spoiler

FkggnIwaYAMyWHu?format=jpg&name=large

FkggnIlaAAAKVaR?format=jpg&name=large

FkggnIlaEAII6W5?format=jpg&name=large

FkggnIqagAUeOEq?format=jpg&name=large

Fkggz1BagAEF-8d?format=jpg&name=large

Fkggz04aUAEDNc-?format=jpg&name=large

What a great little game this turned out to be. I went into this not expecting much but it really did surpass my expectations. I don't think the game will be for everyone but I think fans of the series and those who like exploring open areas with lots of check list activities to tick off will certainly get a kick out of this. 

I'm glad this hasn't come to a PlayStation console because I imagine the trophy list would have been a nightmare. Getting 100% in the game means finding every standard chest ( one map has over 100 of them hidden around the place) and finding every treasure, of which there are over 700. I put over 25 hours into the game ( a lot less than I was expecting ) and only found around 250 of them. Add to the fact that you can find repeats of treasure and this makes for an INSANE level of searching and grinding. Yeah, that ain't happening, especially as there is no option to track the chests and balloons that are hidden about the place.

When the credits did roll my team were in the mid 50 level. After doing the exp farming the other evening, that was more than enough to carry me all the way to the end. The last areas only require the player to be in the level 40-45 range and so I was more than prepared for the final quests and battles.

The one gripe I had with the game was the lack of being able to use Zoom and sadly that stayed the same all the way to the end. I think it would have been much better if the player was able to Zoom to different stations or campsite. Other than that, great game and a very pleasant surprise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

I'm glad this hasn't come to a PlayStation console because I imagine the trophy list would have been a nightmare

Now I'll hope even more that the game will be on PlayStation in the future. Just to annoy you :p 

Thanks for the impressions :peace: 
Seems like a game I'd enjoy, but alas I won't be able to play it.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The one gripe I had with the game was the lack of being able to use Zoom and sadly that stayed the same all the way to the end. I think it would have been much better if the player was able to Zoom to different stations or campsite.

I wonder if this is because Erik can't use magic in DQ XI? Seems like one of those things where attention to detail overrides convenience.

It's not an acceptable excuse, but it's the only reason I can think of.

Edited by Glen-i

12 minutes ago, Glen-i said:

I wonder if this is because Erik can't use magic in DQ XI? Seems like one of those things where attention to detail overrides convenience.

It's not an acceptable excuse, but it's the only reason I can think of.

I think it's more to do with fact that if you were zooming off all the time then you wouldn't be finding treasure, which requires you to travel on the land. If you are walking back and forth then you are always going to find something. Still, it would have been nice to at least have the option, especially during post game quests.

Late game spoilers:

Spoiler

Nice to see Adult Erik & Mia make an appearance, even if it was brief.

• Like 2

uc?export=view&id=1HaO7xC4jkBytSMIkMY3Jz

This loading screen had been drawing a chuckle from me but in the end I gave in to it and went after the story quests.

Game was good. Very good! A relaxed time where the hours seemed to melt away when I was in it. Always being on the cusp of achieving something was more than enough of a carrot to keep me going when I might have otherwise saved and quit. One of those "warm" games. Having seen the credits (~30 hours, ~lvl 61, rank 14), there's not only the odd leftover quest to finish off, there's also some new post-game stuff to see to as well. Not too shabby! Giving it a rest for now but can definitely see myself going back at a later date. Was getting DQ IX vibes from it. 

Spoiler

uc?export=view&id=1HbIKTWMWj42MoIlCY12bl

Waterfalls of money. Do you think we have enough treasure yet. :D 

Never failed to amuse me at the end of a treasure grotto or something when you'd get your haul and Mia'd go, "Is that IT?"  Never complained about digging up bric-a-brac...

uc?export=view&id=1HVNP9tz92ef_F3xCaOoBz

I want one of these. 

Similar to @Ike I just went with the gift monsters after I got them... for the rest of the game. I wasn't against swapping them out, just got used to them and didn't feel the need. Still got use out of the others by sending them out in dispatch teams. Will likely mix things up in the post-game. It was only right at the end there that I got the items needed to pay for a metal slime so I'd like to party up with it at least.

There's a solid foundation here for an improved sequel, be that in Draconia or elsewhere. As @Hero-of-Time alludes too, perhaps better tracking of things like chests and balloons would be nice. The game lets you know precisely where to go for so many things already, having an NPC or monster ability or something to help you track these down would be helpful. Same for monsters. Sometimes part of a quest requires you to hand over a specific monster so it would be nice to know exactly where to go to recruit them—because, as far as I saw, it just tells you the island and if they appear during the day or night. A specific area wouldn't have hurt, imo. Or just being able to set it as your current quest so you have a marker. Fast travel might be a nice option to zoom to a campfire, train station, named region... but then the islands aren't huge as it is and the act of running to a train station gives you the chance to net pickups, get exp and potentially monsters, maybe do another quest on the way, spot balloons and chests... so I don't know, I can see this one both ways.

Definitely think they should look into upping the monster count since there's a heck of a lot of palette swaps here.

Other than that, Treasures is a very good game in it's own right. It felt like it gave me just enough to do without being overwhelming. Some good building blocks in place if they deem it worthy of following up on. Here's hoping they do.

Edited by darksnowman
  • Thanks 1