NEurope
Sign in to follow this  
Julius

Sackboy: A Big Adventure (PS5)

28 minutes ago, Aneres11 said:

I am glad I stuck with it. It has definitely started to improve for me now I am at world 4. Some of the levels have been quite clever, particularly the ones that give you additional items to use to get Sack Boy through them. 
Difficulty has ramped up too which was needed. I don’t think it’ll go down as a classic, but the production of the game is pretty top notch. Good voice acting with some famous voices (Dawn French), and I’m pretty sure the Meerkat from Compare the Market voices the clothes shop guy! 
They also have some pretty famous songs and melodies in some levels, so they must have forked out a pretty penny for the rights to those too! 

I enjoyed it from the beginning but I remember loving it more and more as it went on too.

The visuals and theming of the various worlds helped a lot. The retro scifi world was nifty, and yeah the music levels were great fun. Even one of the underwater levels early on being played to a background melody of Material Girl was a nice touch lol

Played more of this now. Onto world 5. 
Continuing to be a little frustrated with the controls and the level of precision that is required with some of these later levels. 
I don’t think the way Sack Boy controls is tight enough to make it seamless and continually enjoyable to play. 

In comparison to a Mario game of this nature, it’s highlighted how much better the control of Mario is. Even Lucky (mentioning SLT again) felt better than this. 

I can’t work out if it’s just me not being good enough, or if the game is lacking. Could be the former! But I’ve played a lot of games like this and something just feels off with it. 
All of that aside, it is still a good game and the ideas on display in some of the worlds is really great! I’ve smiled my way through a few stages (not many) and when it hits it right it’s really great. 
The last boss level I just played (N.A.O.M.I) was particularly fantastic and definitely a boss I will remember as a stand out in this genre. 
I just can’t get past Sack Boys control!! 

If Sackboy controls the way he did in Littlebigplanet games then it’s not you, he’s always had these weird floaty controls that nobody liked.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Happenstance said:

If Sackboy controls the way he did in Littlebigplanet games then it’s not you, he’s always had these weird floaty controls that nobody liked.

That makes me feel better! :grin:

Just played this for 2 1/2 hours straight with a mate and his girlfriend (they played at one console and I joined online). It was hilarious :laughing: 
The game itself is incredible and just so much fun but man...playing this with others is an even bigger blast. We went from cooperating to sabotaging one another in mere seconds :D 

Will have to play the first few levels on my own to catch up with where my friends are, but can't wait to get to it rather sooner than later :) 

• Like 1

Finished the first world in single player mode yesterday and my goodness, it oozes charm :D 

Such a blast to play. Looks like with R&C: Rift ApartAstro's Playroom and this Sony now has released 3 incredible 3D-platformers for the PS5 :) 

Can't wait to play more :peace: 

Well, another 2 1/2 hour session with a mate and his girlfriend is over :laughing: 
Those music levels are incredible. Can't believe the caliber of songs they covered :o 

We also spent approximately 30 minutes customizing our Sackboys. My mate went with a Hammerhead shark and kept remarking how cute it is. His girlfriend and I went with some neon green shenanigans :D

On 04/11/2021 at 9:32 AM, drahkon said:

Finished the first world in single player mode yesterday and my goodness, it oozes charm :D 

Such a blast to play. Looks like with R&C: Rift ApartAstro's Playroom and this Sony now has released 3 incredible 3D-platformers for the PS5 :) 

Can't wait to play more :peace: 

I mean Ratchet aside, incredible isn't the word I'd use. :D

The other 2 were just ok for me. This game never went beyond filler for me. 

With Ace Combat 7 done, I went back to some good old platforming joy.

Almost done with world 4 and I did not expect Britney Spears and De Staat to feature in some of the levels :D Especially De Staat with KITTY KITTY was awesome :cool: 

I think I'm close to catching up with my mate and his girlfriend so we can finish the game together soon :peace: 

On 11/19/2021 at 3:04 PM, drahkon said:

Almost done with world 4 and I did not expect Britney Spears and De Staat to feature in some of the levels

Does this game have an original soundtrack or is it all licenced stuff? I was considering getting it for my next PS5 game, but licenced soundtracks are such a turnoff for me.

Picked this up the other day while it was on sale during the Days of Play sale and fired it up this morning. I've only played through the first world so far but it's been very enjoyable. I am a little concerned about the length of the levels though. The started world already had some pretty big stages and i'm worried they will continue to get even bigger as the game goes on.

I tried playing the game online and was surprised how many are still playing this. I found games straight away and it was quite fun playing through some stages with other players, even if it was a little hectic. :D 

The game does look like it will offer a decent challenge though, especially when looking at some of the trophies that you can unlock.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The started world already had some pretty big stages and i'm worried they will continue to get even bigger as the game goes on.

Not really, but they remain pretty big.

27 minutes ago, Hero-of-Time said:

The game does look like it will offer a decent challenge though, especially when looking at some of the trophies that you can unlock.

I think the hardest trophy is one of the "secret" levels that goes on for about 10 minutes. Never tried it, but it seems to be quite a challenge :D 

Just started the third area now and the game certainly does offer a decent challenge, even outside of the trophies. Going from start to end is a pretty simple affair but trying to get the score you need, not die and find all the collectibles is offering some great replay value. In the first area I could do them in one run but now I'm having to replay the levels and aim for different things in different runs. I had to do the level Beat the Heat multiple times which was a pain in the backside purely because I hate the song Jungle Boogie. 

I forgot to mention in my previous post just how much I love Dawn French's voice work in this. I'm already a fan of hers and it's great to hear her in a game i'm enjoying. Hugh Laurie was also great in LittleBigPlanet 3. 

On the 5th area now and the game is running out of steam. As I feared, some of these later levels are starting to drag on a bit. This was the same in some of the LitteBigPlanet games as well.

Not sure if I'll grab the platinum on this but I did borrow a friend's PS5 controller in order to knock out the multiplayer trophies myself. Trying to rely on random players is....well, too random. :D 

On 11/06/2022 at 10:29 AM, drahkon said:

I think the hardest trophy is one of the "secret" levels that goes on for about 10 minutes. Never tried it, but it seems to be quite a challenge :D 

FVZT-xkX0AAviRG?format=jpg&name=4096x409

Hell of a challenge. It's essentially like one of those final post-game Mario stages on steroids. No way to cheese this with various power-ups.

There are 15 Knitted Knight challenges that can be completed during your adventure. These are small platforming stages that require you to finish them in a certain time. This ultimate trial is all 15 of these stages back to back. Two hits and you're dead. Fall in a pit and you're dead. If you die you have to go right back to the start. To add to this, you have to beat this in under 10 minutes. The time part isn't that bad as you can collect various clocks throughout each of the sections that reduce your time by 2 seconds with each pick up. However, a lot of these require risky platforming and so you need to weigh up the risks vs the reward.

I spent around 4 hours on trying to beat this stage yesterday evening. I got close a couple of times but I needed to be up early for work and so I couldn't continue. I tried again this evening and it took around half an hour to get into the swing of thing. A couple of hours later and I finally beat it. There were so many times where I cocked up a run by being too greedy when instead I should have just stayed put and waited for the best moment to jump.

Platinum trophy is now on the cards.

• Like 2

Congrats :peace: Sounds like a tough level :o 

Here's hoping the game lands on the PS+ Extra sub anytime in the future so I can give it a go :D 

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, drahkon said:

Sounds like a tough level :o 

Here's hoping the game lands on the PS+ Extra sub anytime in the future so I can give it a go :D 

Indeed it was.

Be sure that you do. I think you'll tackle it no problem. 

Figured I would finish off the game this evening while I was in the swing of things. The final level you unlock is pretty neat but after doing the Knitted Knight run, it felt like I was going through the level with my eyes closed. :D 

FVZqYvfXsAYsBcA?format=jpg&name=4096x409

• Like 2

Sign in to follow this