Welcome to the new Forums! And please bear with us... ×
N-Europe

FIFA World Cup: Russia 2018

Julius

@Eenuh and I are having a debate about the penalty. I understand why it was given, but...the ball hits Pique's arm from behind. Yes, his arm shouldn't be that high, but it's a bit harsh to have a penalty given against you when you can't even see the ball. But, daft to be placing your arm in that sort of position.
Still, I give zero fucks. Come the fuck on, Russia! For The MotherLand!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

@Eenuh and I are having a debate about the penalty. I understand why it was given, but...the ball hits Pique's arm from behind. Yes, his arm shouldn't be that high, but it's a bit harsh to have a penalty given against you when you can't even see the ball. But, daft to be placing your arm in that sort of position.

His left arm's position can be considered deliberate. His right arm assumes a natural position during the jump while his left is somewhere in the sky. Clear pen.

Match has become boring as hell...I hope Spain ends this before extra time. Russia won't do anything other than defend. ::shrug:

High drama late on in each of these Round of 16 games so far: a last minute goal in France v. Argentina; high, last minute pressure from Portugal against Uruguay; and now extra time in Spain v. Russia.

Have a feeling that Croatia v. Denmark won’t be as dramatic as those games have been, but this has been an exciting start for the football-loving neutral to the knockout stage :D 

Spain's style of football in this game is looking a bit out-dated now. I remember when tiki taka was all the rage, but now it's just boring to watch as the only real way around it is either to press highly and win it quickly, or to sit back, defend and counter. Russia are going with the latter, so it's not a great game to watch. It wouldn't be so bad if the passes led to more chances, but it hasn't appeared to be that way. Possession football is only ever good if it leads to goals. Making 700-odd passes and only getting 3 or so shots is a bit rubbish, imo.

• Like 1

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Iffy call that one. I think both Spanish players were being held.

It looked to me that there was holding from both sets of players. I don't think it was absolutely clear that the Russian players were stopping the Spanish from getting to the ball. 
Although, it's retarded that there is STILL holding on at corners, at all. You'd have thought players would have learned by now that if there is any holding, VAR will spot it and they'll concede a penalty.

This tournament is just crazy, Russia were resolute in the second half but Spain didn't really do much to trouble them. Massive for Croatia to stamp their authority on things now by showing their quality against Denmark.

Before the tournament my hope for England was that they would reach the quarter finals and leave the tournament with optimism for 2020 and 2022 but considering how open this side of the draw is the media are going to go completely overboard and now anything but reaching the final (and probably winning it) will be looked on as a disappointment. It's basically written in the stars that they'll lose to Colombia on Tuesday now, the English papers will be shouting about England being favourites to reach the final for the next two days so it's bound to end in failure. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TV signal just fucked up, so I'm trying to get ITV Player working on the telly. Absolute crap. It's not on the same level as BBC iPlayer and it is just a shoddy service. On iPlayer, you can rewind the programme or you could pause it. So, if this game was on BBC 1, I would be able to rewind it and see both goals. Because it's on ITV, I can't. Fuck, ITV!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Fierce_LiNk said:

This game is disappointing. Not really that much between the teams, but nobody is really going for it. Seems very flat out there.

Yeah, looks like it peaked too early. Surprisingly I think Denmark have looked the better side.

Edited by Hero-of-Time

Just now, Hero-of-Time said:

Yeah, looked like it leaked too early. Surprisingly I think Denmark have looked the better side.

Denmark look a bit more up for it. Croatia just can't seem to get into the game. Not sure exactly what's up, but both sides look a bit lethargic.